Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
myday
myday began at the beginning.

Device: none
computer upgrade for slow calibre

Hello,

I have over 1000 books in Calibre now and it takes about one minute to open the Calibre library. I consider upgrading my PC. Would please you tell me which component upgrade(e.g. memory, SSD drive, faster graphic card, or faster CPU) is going to speed up Calibre?

Are there other ways to speed up? I consider setting up another Calibre library to add about 200 books in the future. Is it a good idea?

Thanks...
myday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It would be a good idea to give your current specs. You'll have to have a very old computer for it to be slowed down by so few books in Calibre.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have about 13.5K books and the library on a NAS, and I can still open it in less than that using quite a low spec machine (2.0GHz single core processor on my notebook).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My Windows systems all open a 2500 book Library in well less than a minute (But not anywhere as snappy as the claims I see around here )
I have 1G or more RAM in every one.

Calibre is NOT graphics card intensive. If it handles your Screen resolution and color depth, you are good.
Tame your Antivirus. It does not need to actively check (real time scan) your Library Folders files . Those books were checked in the folders that they were in when you imported them.

My Linux systems (same HW) run faster.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Are you wanting to buy a new system? Or upgrade your current one?
CPU, Ram, SSD will probably make a difference.
Not much use putting SSD in older machine as the cost is way out of proportion to improvement.
Same with CPU although less money perhaps.
Ram is cheap but unless you have very little less than one gig, it won't give big startup increase.

What version of calibre are you using?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tame your Antivirus. It does not need to actively check (real time scan) your Library Folders files . Those books were checked in the folders that they were in when you imported them.
Good point. I have both my Calibre library and my Calibre binaries folder excluded from virus checking. I also have the Calibre process set to be trusted so that temporary files it creates are not scanned either.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
myday

Thank you so much for responding to my questions. It helped me a lot to understand Calibre.
My current system is as follows:
Dell Inspiron 530, CPU(1.8 GHz Intel Pentium), Memory 2GB, Hard Drive 320 GB(7200rpm), Windows Vista Home Premium

I am likely to buy a new PC or preferably Apple iMac "Core i5" 2.5 21.5-Inch (Mid-2011) sooner or later, but I have not decided which options(faster CPU, more RAM, or SSD) would go for. Speeding up my Calibre is a main reason for buying a new computer.

Thanks again for your time and help today and have a great weekend everyone.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myday View Post
Thank you so much for responding to my questions. It helped me a lot to understand Calibre.
My current system is as follows:
Dell Inspiron 530, CPU(1.8 GHz Intel Pentium), Memory 2GB, Hard Drive 320 GB(7200rpm), Windows Vista Home Premium

I am likely to buy a new PC or preferably Apple iMac "Core i5" 2.5 21.5-Inch (Mid-2011) sooner or later, but I have not decided which options(faster CPU, more RAM, or SSD) would go for. Speeding up my Calibre is a main reason for buying a new computer.

Thanks again for your time and help today and have a great weekend everyone.
Is the HD SATA 3.0 or 1.5?
2G RAM is good. 3G is better with Vista .
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
myday

Hi theducks,
I am not sure if my HD is SATA 3.0 or 1.5. It seemed I could install any currently available SATA hard drive up to 750 GB.

New iMac looked like a finished piece with a brilliant design when I first saw it last week. Since then, I have been staring at my computer and thinking this and that.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hi theducks,
I am not sure if my HD is SATA 3.0 or 1.5. It seemed I could install any currently available SATA hard drive up to 750 GB.

New iMac looked like a finished piece with a brilliant design when I first saw it last week. Since then, I have been staring at my computer and thinking this and that.

Thank you for your reply.
Those were inexpensive line items that would help speed on your existing HW.

Seem like Steve's slick looking products found another fan
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Theducks earlier advice about antivirus could help you in the meantime.

I can run calibre reasonably well on an old Dell inspiron 9300 laptop with lower specs than you have. takes less than 30 seconds to load 10000+ books and my HD is only 5300 rpm 60G. (I use Microsoft Security essentials which seems more than adequate and is less invasive than some antivirus software)

Of course a new machine would be must faster. My i7 desktop is much better
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
myday

Hi Speakingtohe,
Many thanks for your reply. I did not know that more than 10,000 books could be in the Calibre library. It is good to know!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
myday

Hi,
Here is a quick update.
I installed (Ubuntu) linux onto my computer and learned that a computer can run without Windows. Now I can run Calibre faster and lighter without making my computer hungry. Only drawback of using Linux is that most my Windows software do not work anymore.
I think that installing linux onto an old PC is just like giving new life to old computers.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hi,
Here is a quick update.
I installed (Ubuntu) linux onto my computer and learned that a computer can run without Windows. Now I can run Calibre faster and lighter without making my computer hungry. Only drawback of using Linux is that most my Windows software do not work anymore.
I think that installing linux onto an old PC is just like giving new life to old computers.
Look at installing Wine (avoid the older repository version) on your Ubuntu box. It can run some of you old stuff.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
One of the biggest culprits of the demise of modern PCs is the fragmentation of the registry and hard drive, I will not go into the whys of the matter as it will take too long to explain. Suffice it to say that the next thing you should do is to download and install a PC cleaner called CCleaner, which coincidentally is free at www.piriform.com/ccleaner. CCleaner is the leading PC maintenance software and will take care of the problems that are plaguing you. My PC is a year and a half and runs like its new because of CCleaner.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote