Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Telegraph Blogs gives iRex iLiad mixed grades

Telegraph's Shane Richmond has been playing with the iRex iLiad, and his findings were mixed:

Pro:
  • touch-enabled
  • screen is wonderful
  • size is ideal
  • WiFi capability
Con:
  • clunky interface
  • writing notes didn't work
  • price is uninviting
His final verdict:

Quote:
The Iliad reminds me of the first MP3 player a saw, about ten years ago. It was too big, too slow and could hold only a couple of albums but the potential was clear.

Then Apple showed up with a brilliantly designed, easy to use device and suddenly MP3 players are everywhere. Will they do the same for the e-reader or leave it to others?

Pity they've already used the name iBook.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
It's a pity, he didn't describe why "notes, which I couldn't get to work at all" doesn't work for him?
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
It's a pity, he didn't describe why "notes, which I couldn't get to work at all" doesn't work for him?
Yeah, you can hardly call "user error" a fault to the device. I don't know what's so hard about pressing notes and opening "Blank.png"... It may not be 100% intuitive, but anyone with a bit of reasoning skills should be able to figure it out.

Maybe he didn't have the blank templates for some reason.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Yeah, you can hardly call "user error" a fault to the device. I don't know what's so hard about pressing notes and opening "Blank.png"... It may not be 100% intuitive, but anyone with a bit of reasoning skills should be able to figure it out.

Maybe he didn't have the blank templates for some reason.
Or he didn't open a pdf file. Just one click on pen icon - scribbling starts.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Or he didn't open a pdf file. Just one click on pen icon - scribbling starts.
Maybe he never hit Docs -> Reference -> User Guide.
Advert
Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I expected the "cons" to be battery life and no instant on, plus maybe some interface issues to be the main concerns. How long does it take on the current software versions to turn it on and load an e-book? Is battery life better now?

But there really is no competition yet, with regard to a larger touch sensitive e-ink screen.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Or maybe his pen is really out of calibration so that whatever he wrote was simply unreadable ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't own an iLiad, but this would be my personal biggest pros: screen size, screen size, screen size. As much as I love the Reader, it is not usable for reading multi-column reference documents.

So in future, I'd love to see something with the battery lifetime of the Reader and the screen of the iLiad
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I don't own an iLiad, but this would be my personal biggest pros: screen size, screen size, screen size. As much as I love the Reader, it is not usable for reading multi-column reference documents.
Agreed. That was really the single reason I chose the iLiad over the sony. All the other stuff was just a bonus. It's openness turned into a huge bonus, but a bonus nonetheless.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
ebooklvr
iLiad newbie
ebooklvr began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Zaurus SL-5500
I've only had my iLiad for 4 days and love it. Yeah the interface is different but it works for me so far. The screen size and linux OS made it win out over the Sony when I was trying to decide between the two. As for the price.....the ooohs and ahhhhs that I got at work when I showed it off yesterday made it worth it
ebooklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I don't understand what stopped this guy from figuring out how the scribbling works. I can't consider his blog as a serious attempt to form an opinion. Rather ridiculous.

What's more, what could Apple do better by designing the interface for this device? Scrollwheel? I have an iPod but I love the iLiad much more.

Funny to see that a good point with the device that it holds "dozen books". Did you really used this device for a week or do you have any natural interest for new things? The first thing I tried how this thing works with a 4GB CF card. My iLiad holds thousands of books. This fact should be advertised if you want to boost sales.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If he was in any file type other than PDF, there is no scribble, and in PDF you have to hit the pen icon first. Maybe he got confused.

That being said, one of my chief complaints about the iLiad at present is that using the Notes function is so slow. Slow to open a new document, slow to create a new page, slow to turn pages... I wish it could be optimized somehow. I use it to take notes in meetings and classes, and sometimes I have to scramble to catch up in note taking after waiting for a new page to be created.

I haven't personally had too much trouble with battery life, though it sure goes by fast if you're using the pen. A better power adapter arrangement so you could more reasonably use the iLiad while it's charging would be nice. I really don't like that adapter connection.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote