Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
crispyambulance
crispyambulance began at the beginning.

Device: None
Language input and durability of the M92

I wasn't sure what was worse, derailing my own thread or making a second one so soon. I've had a lot more time to think about buying this thing since it's difficult to find in the states, so here goes.

What are the language input options like? I need Russian, Japanese and Chinese specifically. For the latter two, is any sort of handwriting recognition available, and if not how do they work? For the Roman and Cyrillic alphabets, I assume an onscreen keyboard is used with the stylus? Are all diacritics available?

With respect to durability, I'd appreciate people chiming in with how long they've had an M92 and if it's been smooth sailing for that duration. Also, do you carry it with you when you go out, or is the general perception that it's too delicate and should be reserved for home use?

Edit: This is probably the single most important thing. I don't use any fancy itunes-esque software to maintain a library of books but just have a directory for each author on my hard drive that I access in windows explorer. Will the M92 allow me to simply copy my directory structure to a memory card and browse it and access books in a simple filebrowser?

Last edited by crispyambulance; 02-01-2014 at 11:07 PM.
crispyambulance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
1) Language input options: No idea about this as i read books in English only

2) Durability : I bought it in Dec 2012 and it is working fine till now. I kept it in my home only for the first 4 months and then started carrying it in my backpack. It was during this time that few members at this forum started reporting that the screen is delicate and it could break when carrying in backpack etc. I was afraid so i made a foam/sponge case and i insert my onyx in that case when carrying.

3) File structure : Yes It works exactly like that of windows explorer.
I hate itunes-esque file structure myself and nearly all my devices (sansa, onyx, mobile, laptop) have directory structure
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
On the durability: Many people have reported that the screen is not too strong. So be careful if you plan to put it in backpacks and generally carry it around. My screen broke but it was totally my fault since it fell from about 1.5 meters
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
crispyambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
On the durability: Many people have reported that the screen is not too strong. So be careful if you plan to put it in backpacks and generally carry it around. My screen broke but it was totally my fault since it fell from about 1.5 meters
So was the screen the only thing that was broken after that?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyambulance View Post
So was the screen the only thing that was broken after that?
Yes, the device actually works. I can see it boot and work normally with the part of the screen that still shows what it should.
I didn't have it repaired because it was really expensive (Almost 200€)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

I have my M92 since February 2012, so that's 2 years now. I am careful with it, but not overly so. I also dropped it a few times, but not from very high up (and it usually slid to the ground rather than fell). When putting it in my bag, I make sure that the screen is right in front of a big plane object like a textbook, laptop or college block, so that any pressure exerted on the device is applied along the entire display and not just locally on a point.

eInk devices above 6" have only recently started to be made with plastic panels; the M92 has a very fine glass panel in front of it, so keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Yes, the device actually works. I can see it boot and work normally with the part of the screen that still shows what it should.
I didn't have it repaired because it was really expensive (Almost 200€)
You can buy the screen and replace it yourself. Check out this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=73

He claims the Kindle DX uses the same screen as the Onyx M92 - I guess you can write the guy and ask. $90 + shipping seems to be worth a shot.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
For the screen, you mustn't bend it. It's the most important.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
iampiti
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
I have my M92 since February 2012, so that's 2 years now. I am careful with it, but not overly so. I also dropped it a few times, but not from very high up (and it usually slid to the ground rather than fell). When putting it in my bag, I make sure that the screen is right in front of a big plane object like a textbook, laptop or college block, so that any pressure exerted on the device is applied along the entire display and not just locally on a point.

eInk devices above 6" have only recently started to be made with plastic panels; the M92 has a very fine glass panel in front of it, so keep that in mind.

You can buy the screen and replace it yourself. Check out this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=73

He claims the Kindle DX uses the same screen as the Onyx M92 - I guess you can write the guy and ask. $90 + shipping seems to be worth a shot.
Thanks! I was already aware of that post. I might buy it and try to install it. I was holding out for the M96 but it seems it'll take a while still
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I have M92 since Dec 2011. So far no problém. My reader fell from cca 2 meters and the screen survived. So, it is fragile as it is glass, but not extremely fragile.

One has to be careful not to bent or twist the reader and also to avoid centered pressure to one point of the screen.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Mine slipped down from the bed on a floor with a thick carpet. Screen dead.
The good thing: I tried a $100 tablet and started to read on paper again. No comparison. EReading is very hyped and for academic reading or anything where you make notes (where not?!) and need to remember, vastly inferior to desktop or paper reading.

And be warned: the slow reaction of the unit also affected my reading speed very negatively. You just become much slower and much more lazy when it comes to look quickly on other pages, overall.

Must have devastating effects on children's reading and learning capabilities.

There are some cases where it's good, for example front lit eReaders in low light conditions, but they are rare.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

You are right. Paper is still unbeatable. But e-readers have also some advantages if you need to have at hand lots of documents and books while on move...

The best way IMO is to combine paper, e-ink and tablet. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
crispyambulance

Thanks for the opinions, everyone.

I've tracked down a lot of obscure books in PDF on the internet that are either completely unavailable in print or prohibitively expensive. I prefer paper ever so slightly, but it's honestly not a big deal to me what the reading surface is as long as it's not an LCD shining light into my eyes. That was the main reason I wanted the M92.

It's a big investment though. I ended up buying a 6" Sony for 40USD on ebay, and it's not terrible. I have to use landscape mode to make the text big enough to read, which is kind of a pain, but it works. I'm definitely having trouble justifying the cost of the M92.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
Mono
Mono

It depends. M92 is less expensive than loads of expensive paper books.

But if 6" works for you more or less than no need for much more expensive 10". But it is possible to buy a seconhand Kindle DX for cca 100 USD. But I personaly prefer M92.