Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post
I can't use the enable_adb package...]
Why is that?

After flashing the 'enable_adb', to get into recovery mode you have to use one of these options:
  • at PC, by using Porkupan/Boroda tool (ebook_msc):
    ebook_msc name "PRS-T1" um recovery
  • at PC, by using ADB:
    adb reboot recovery
  • at PC, by using adb shell:
    adb shell "chgboot recovery && reboot"
  • at T1, by using any terminal aplication, or adb shell, or telnet, or ssh:
    chgboot recovery && reboot
  • at T1, by using the key combination 'Home' + 'Menu' at boot.

It's all about options...

Last edited by j0534ng31; 01-31-2012 at 10:36 PM.
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #17
flyingdog
flyingdog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
thank you guys, I appreciated... yes, I know all these possible ways in.. but the point is that enable_adb does not work for me.. I suppose the RSA key on my device bootloader is different so the PRS T1 Updater.package is not booting anymore ... this is just a "suppose" ... in reality, the enable_adb package is so cool because it flashes a new ramdisk... which is cool, with usbdongle enabled but very dangerous because it flashes a new bootloader too. I am scared to brick my device, so I would like to get a dev/block dump before to start flashing other stuff on it ... thinking to disassemble or .. uhmm I don't know...
flyingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
@j0534ng31
the last option works only if there is the sd_recovery in the sdcard, or the proper .package update file in the internal sd
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post
thank you guys, I appreciated... yes, I know all these possible ways in.. but the point is that enable_adb does not work for me.. I suppose the RSA key on my device bootloader is different so the PRS T1 Updater.package is not booting anymore ... this is just a "suppose" ... in reality, the enable_adb package is so cool because it flashes a new ramdisk... which is cool, with usbdongle enabled but very dangerous because it flashes a new bootloader too. I am scared to brick my device, so I would like to get a dev/block dump before to start flashing other stuff on it ... thinking to disassemble or .. uhmm I don't know...
you should be able to dump your internal sd using the terminal app
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
flyingdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
you should be able to dump your internal sd using the terminal app
terminal app? do you mean via usb serial?!

thanks btw
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #21
flyingdog

Quote:
@j0534ng31
the last option works only if there is the sd_recovery in the sdcard, or the proper .package update file in the internal sd
you mean the proper .packet in the "external sd"?!
I am looking to find the right sd_recovery or to compile uboot... in the end enable_adb flashes a boot loader starting from seek=30720 which looks to be uboot ...
Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #22
flyingdog

actually I don't see yet, why to flash a different bootloader, it wouln't be enough to update the init.rc into the ramdisk to load the adb console service and insert the usb dongle modules somewhere else before?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
flyingdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0534ng31 View Post
There is no 'serial console' in 'normal mode'...

To have a 'serial console' in the 'recovery mode' you have to install first the 'enable_adb' supplied by Boroda here... This is easy.

You also have to follow the instructions in the same post to install the 'gadget serial' driver... It can be a little tricky to install the very first time.

Only after following this two steps you'll have the 'serial console' enabled... to use it you need a serial terminal program for your operating system, as 'putty' or 'teraterm' for Windows.
I don't understand why the trick with the sd_recover (osfirmware folder) and the update.img modified by "figonet" it should not work. I opened the img. it's a regular boot with insmod for the gadget and other cool tricks.. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=gadget&page=2) :| ... probably I miss understanding something .. probably to load it you need the modified bootloader in enable_adb...
Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
m3l7d0wN
Zealot

by terminal app I meant the application you can find in ADW launcher EX.
I don't know exactly what enable_adb does, maybe it adds serial gadget module somewhere?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
flyingdog

Quote:
by terminal app I meant the application you can find in ADW launcher EX.
I don't know exactly what enable_adb does, maybe it adds serial gadget module somewhere?
ohh no man.. thanks .. no no my device is not rooted for the same reason I can't install enable_adb
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
m3l7d0wN
Zealot

have you tried making a factory reset and then root?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Just want to correct some misinformation.
Quote:
that update.img requires enable_adb too... it is just recovery mode started from external sd card
Two things have nothing to do with each other.
  1. enable_adb only enables the ADB. If you don't need the ADB, you don't have to run it.
  2. The SD recovery can be done without enabling the ADB. It only reconstructs two partitions: /data and /system
  3. ADB and serial console are two unrelated things. The "serial console" (USB serial gadget) in recovery mode can be achieved by copying the package into the "main memory", and switching to recovery mode. The ADB login is available at runtime, when the reader is connected to a PC running ADB.
  4. enable_adb doesn't install a new bootloader. If corrects the uboot variables to enable loading a larger ramdisk (needed to fit the ADB).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #28
flyingdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Just want to correct some misinformation.

Two things have nothing to do with each other.
  1. enable_adb only enables the ADB. If you don't need the ADB, you don't have to run it.
  2. The SD recovery can be done without enabling the ADB. It only reconstructs two partitions: /data and /system
  3. ADB and serial console are two unrelated things. The "serial console" (USB serial gadget) in recovery mode can be achieved by copying the package into the "main memory", and switching to recovery mode. The ADB login is available at runtime, when the reader is connected to a PC running ADB.
  4. enable_adb doesn't install a new bootloader. If corrects the uboot variables to enable loading a larger ramdisk (needed to fit the ADB).
thanks, you confirmed my impression on enable_adb, and beside the fact that the new .bin contains only an adapted loading parameter for the ramdisk, everything was very clear to me.. actually big surprise because I expected uboot env data to boot where contained a part in the boot.src file out of the bin, btw some mkimage magic I miss...

"can be achieved by copying the package into the "main memory""? I don't follow you there.. do you mean to write into the internal flash the two .ko? they are actually included in the ramdisk/lib/modules etc..

my problem, I m trying to get a dump of the partitions, I am at the beginning of the beginning... your flashing tools based on XXX update.package won't work for me as I believe the RSA key is different. I think the RSA key is somewhere stored around the beginning of the bootloader (I looked at your scripts to extract the .packages) I need a dump before.. so I am back to the beginning
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #29
m3l7d0wN
Zealot

the rsa key is stored in the info offset of the sdcard. You can dump it if you want (i.e. with an hex editor)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #30
m3l7d0wN
Zealot

at about f60400

Tags
backup, dump, image, link2sd