Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Braver than Red and stupider too...

Wish me luck tomorrow... I am going to try to install Windows 2000 SP4 on an Acer AspireRevo cold.

May the Lord have mercy on my soul.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Good grief - do you have a temperature? Banged your head? Good luck in your foolhardy endeavour!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Wish me luck tomorrow... I am going to try to install Windows 2000 SP4 on an Acer AspireRevo cold.

May the Lord have mercy on my soul.....
They say God looks after fools and Englishmen who go out in the sun.........I'm just sayin'.............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Make sure you have drivers for everything on the computer before starting...2000 may not recognize some of your hardware components
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Why would you do so? That would cause you much trouble. the newer the better.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Mad dogs and Englishmen...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Mad dogs and Englishmen...
Of course. I stand corrected!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
no, that's ok, you can sit. gotta take it easy in that AZ sun after all!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far, Windows 2000 1 - RSE 0. I have to run through a 12 page built to create a slipstream install disk, which might not work. (Usually XP hardware drivers will work on 2000, but there's no guarantee...

Why Windows 2000? Well, I'm a retro sort of guy....

(OK, they don't believe that.)

Actually there are two reasons. One, I don't believe in this activation <bleep>. I don't grant anybody the right to load their spyware at a whim, or have the ability to eventually turn off the software I paid for just because they decided to stop activating it.

Two, nettops running Atom processors are not known for their power. Windows 2000 was designed for processors running in the 1 GHz range or lower, so they shouldn't overload the Atom. I have all the software I need, most of which runs under 2000. (I haven't tried Sigil or Calibre).

At the end, I hope to have a machine that will do everything I want to do, taking up 5 percent the space of my big desktop, and burning only 30-40 watts of power, down from the 250-300 watts of my big desktop. At 12 cents a KiloWatt Hour, the machine should pay for itself in 5 years (it cost $215 USD with shipping), just from electricity saving alone...

I run a two machine setup (one sterile, one internet), and I plan to mirror that with two nettops - one Windows (sterile), one Mint Linux (internet)...

If I can ever get the OS loaded....
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Current score - Windows 2000 - 2 - RSE 0.

Tried using the drivers from the Acer website. Buried deep in the chipset drivers was the SATA/IDE drivers. Built a slipstream install disc. Got past the previous fial point. Reformatted the hard drive. Loaded the initial OS files. Tried to reboot to finish the install (normal). Died.

Drop back 10 and punt. Will try the same thing for XP Pro tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
imo Windows 2000 was the best OS Microsoft ever released, I guess Windows 7 surpasses it.

I remember it being super stable, sure it doens't have too many bells and whistles but it ran so well. Good luck!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote