Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I haven't had creamed chipped beef on toast since I was young, at least as far back as high school. It's been that long since tuna & potato chip casserole or shepherd's pie as well. Or Welsh rarebit, that we always called Welsh rabbit.
It's my understanding that Welsh rabbit is the original name of the dish (an ironic reference to the Welsh being too poor for meat), later corrupted/snootified into Welsh rarebit.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Egad! I haven't had this delectable dish since I was a kid! When we were sick, this was one of the dishes we could expect to be served! It was supposed to be easily digested and good for us!

Other sick-bed meals included: poached eggs on toast, ginger ale instead of milk, mugs of broth.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Childhood memory for me as well. It was one of the few dishes that my father (ex-Navy, USS Baltimore) could make. I seem to recall waffles and potato pancakes making up the remainder of his repertoire.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Even before my days in the army, I remember it being served in our school cafeteria. It was a occasional meal in the early days of my marriage, but the wife and I haven't thought of it in years.

Here's a thought: you know that frozen garlic bread that's sold in the supermarket and goes so well when baked in the oven and served with lasagna or spaghetti? I wonder how it would taste topped with creamed chipped beef? Think I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
OMG, my mouth still waters. My mother (usually aMartha Stewart) would get the frozen Stouffers(?) kind that came in bags you boiled, then put on your toast.

Even better than Spaggetios

Daddy still makes us what he calls SOS for "Same Old Slop", but it's hamburger or sausage in white gravy, over buttered biscuits. Mmm

Stuff like that it's why going home always means a week of dieting follows.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
How do you "chip" beef?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
How do you "chip" beef?
the real chipped beef recipe, not the one using ground beef uses a salted dried beef. I've had it served in anti-pasto platters in a few places and it has an Italian name which I can't recall.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
How do you "chip" beef?
"Chipped" refers to it being sliced razor thin. You can get chipped ham also, though in the supermarket delis in Atlanta I used to have to explain that "chipped" did not mean chopped. (unless you want chipped chopped ham, which I think is a Pittsburgh thing.)

Last edited by BenG; 10-14-2012 at 05:57 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
There are other common dishes with "white stuff" slathered over something.

Southern Fried steak.
Gravy and biscuits (plus sausage, etc.)

Who knows when this type cuisine art first appeared?

Perhaps in the prehistoric caves in Southern France.

"Monsieur, I poured some of the fermented goat milk over the mammoth steaks, and I think you will like it."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
There are other common dishes with "white stuff" slathered over something.

Southern Fried steak.
Gravy and biscuits (plus sausage, etc.)
Up here in Wisconsin it is called chicken fried steak with gravy and biscuits. Or leave off the steak and just have the gravy over fresh biscuits (sliced in half) with a over easy egg on each biscuit before dumping the gravy on. A real tasty and filling breakfast that is the standard fare at cafes around here.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just had me some Banquet Chicken Fried Chicken. Ummmmm! Life is good.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Let me get this straight. We've got a two page thread here of mobilereaders licking their chops over beef on toast! And even more curiouser, gravy on a biscuit!
Obviously a staple for the nation. Now how about I mention grits and see where the thread goes because I know you yanks love grits. Or at least talking about them.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I demand a toutons and lassie thread.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I demand a toutons and lassie thread.
That and there should be a thread about Vegemite. And Haggis.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Let me get this straight. We've got a two page thread here of mobilereaders licking their chops over beef on toast! And even more curiouser, gravy on a biscuit!
Obviously a staple for the nation. Now how about I mention grits and see where the thread goes because I know you yanks love grits. Or at least talking about them.
These are biscuits.

not these.

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote