Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Locked Content of Corrupted File? Book Purchased from Kobo

First of all: D'oh - title of thread should be Locked Content or Corrupted File?...etc.

Sorry if this one has been covered already; I did do an admittedly perfunctory forum search first, but didn't see anything immediately.

Has anyone ever had this happen with any book purchased from the Kobo store?

The book is Niagara Falls All Over Again by Elizabeth McCracken.

I purchased the book from Kobo's Store (via computer, I've not ever used Wi-Fi). I synched it to the Desktop.

When I tried to open the book about an hour or so later, I got a little pop up thing (Kobo-generated). The message is this: Content Locked. We are unable to display the selected content. It may be locked or corrupt. And then a blue bar: Go Back to Library. I click on that and get a Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Error.

All other books are functioning normally.

Weird?

When I called Help, they suggested I delete the book from my library. (But I haven't - it still resides on my desktop. The issue has been sent to Tier 2, and I want to "talk" to customer service again before I might "lose" a purchase).

Hoping for refund, or fixed up book - or something. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-26-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: To clarify Kobo pop up message, using exact wording. (from #3 in this thread).
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
First of all: D'oh - title of thread should be Locked Content or Corrupted File?...etc.
If it's the "OOPS we're sorry..." message, try closing the book, POWERING down the Kobo (rather than just sleeping it) and then starting it and opening the book again. I've occasionally had an issue where that was enough to solve it.
The other option to try is to delete the book from your Kobo, go onto your account on the Kobo website and re-bookmark it to force it to reload it onto your Kobo. Might be one of those fluke got corrupted during download things.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If it's the "OOPS we're sorry..." message, try closing the book, POWERING down the Kobo (rather than just sleeping it) and then starting it and opening the book again. I've occasionally had an issue where that was enough to solve it.
The other option to try is to delete the book from your Kobo, go onto your account on the Kobo website and re-bookmark it to force it to reload it onto your Kobo. Might be one of those fluke got corrupted during download things.
This whole thing happened on desktop only. I haven't loaded it on to the reader.

I just checked it again. The message is this: Content Locked. We are unable to display the selected content. It may be locked or corrupt. And then a blue bar: Go Back to Library. I click on that and get a Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Error.

When I called Help, they suggested I delete the book from my library. (But I haven't - it still resides on my desktop. I want to "talk" to customer service again.

(I'll put this info in the original post, too).

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
The issue has been sent to Tier 2, and I want to "talk" to customer service again before I might "lose" a purchase).
Why don't you try "buying" a free book from Kobo's site, deleting it from the desktop, and seeing if you can redownload that free book? If that works, Kobo is probably telling you to delete the book from the desktop to get rid of the old corrupt file so that it can be replaced by a new non-corrupt file.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
beautifulsoup
Addict

Thanks for the suggestion. I did just complete doing that, and all went well; thanks.

I'm thinking (but perhaps erroneously?) that I might lose purchased book from my purchase history page in my account.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No, you won't lose your book. Remember, in addition to the Purchased list on "My Library", you also have a purchase history under "My Account", if for some reason a book you were to delete from the desktop or a device or app no longer showed up in Purchased or Trash in the library, and you could not restore it using other means, Customer Care can verify your prior purchase and make it happen.

FWIW, I routinely delete books from my Touch after reading them. I have never lost one .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
No, you won't lose your book. Remember, in addition to the Purchased list on "My Library", you also have a purchase history under "My Account", if for some reason a book you were to delete from the desktop or a device or app no longer showed up in Purchased or Trash in the library, and you could not restore it using other means, Customer Care can verify your prior purchase and make it happen.

FWIW, I routinely delete books from my Touch after reading them. I have never lost one .
They were telling me over the phone that it would be okay to delete from the library (click, delete) in the My Account section.

I do still have my email confirmation of receipt with receipt number, though.

Thanks for the help.

(And thanks to all for the helpful replies).

ETA: Update: I just got an email from Tier 2. The solution: Store credit. Don't know about the book itself, but I'll delete it and not try the same book again.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.