Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #121
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls are excellent. I didn't like the third volume in the trilogy as much, but the first two, especially Paladin of Souls, were on my 4-5 star list last year.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #122
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Baen has much to recommend it but it is full of frustrating gaps. In this case I can't find Heinlein's "Glory Road", his lone Fantasy. Norton's "Witch World" series is praised but I can't find it there. (I think I saw #6 there once) Gordon R Dickson without "Dorsai" or any of the "Childe Cycle" - come on! ("To Arm Bears" is there, though)

Luck;
Ken
Yes, it's all up to who has the publishing rights. The Witch World series seems to be published by Premier Digital Publishing which has an exclusive deal with Amazon. As an example, many of Anne McCaffrey's Ship Who Sang series are available from Baen (all the collaborations), except the original. None of the Pern series is there, etc. I think many of her works were published by DelRey in the US. I may be wrong about that, but it's not Baen.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #123
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
EXCELLENT epic fantasy series.
Strange. I know that name "Paksenarrion", but didn't know it was a fantasy trilogy. I must have heard that name somewhere before. I'll check these books out too

Has anyone some experience with http://www.booktopia.com.au/ ? Can I buy from them from the Netherlands / Europe? I'm a bit fed up with creating an account successfully and at the last step finding out that I can't purchase because I live on the wrong place of this planet, or the creditcard is of the "wrong" country. I've already got accounts by 3 stores or so, from which I actually can't buy. (Foyles, Waterstones, Barnes&Noble.... WHSmith just goes to Kobo.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #124
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls are excellent. I didn't like the third volume in the trilogy as much, but the first two, especially Paladin of Souls, were on my 4-5 star list last year.
The third one is The Hallowed Hunt.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this series. I'm not a fantasy afficionado, but have read a bit and I'd put this series near the top. I think Bujold knocked it out of the park. And I'm a fan of the Vorkosigan series, also.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #125
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've already got accounts by 3 stores or so, from which I actually can't buy. (Foyles, Waterstones, Barnes&Noble.... WHSmith just goes to Kobo.)
There is a way for you to purchase from B&N. Geertm a fellow countryman does it and has posted how. Try a search in the B&N forum.

Of course, you'll still have to remove their DRM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #126
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the option, but nah. They're not really cheaper than most other sources; it's only that they have one book I couldn't find anywhere else at the moment. I do have so much to read though, that I'm just putting that one on hold an have a look in a few months again.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #127
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
There is a way for you to purchase from B&N. Geertm a fellow countryman does it and has posted how. Try a search in the B&N forum.

Of course, you'll still have to remove their DRM.
Yes, it is very easy to buy B&N ebooks from the Netherlands.
1. Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will do, just Google something. The credit card address is not checked, so your Dutch credit card will work fine.
For some states salex tax will be added. I am using an address in New York state (NY). For this address I do not have to pay any tax.
2. Install an VPN on your PC to get an US IP-address. Free ones are Hotspot Shield and TunnelBear.

To buy B&N ebooks first start the VPN.
Use the showip.net website to check your location. With Tunnelbear I sometimes get an IP-address where no location (US city) can be determined.
When the VPN is active go to the B&N website and start buying!

Last edited by geertm; 04-25-2013 at 12:23 AM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #128
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Never heard of it in honesty so I won't miss it.

That said it's sad to see less choice it's always a bad thing not to have more options.

Last edited by Teknikal; 04-25-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #129
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Baen has much to recommend it but it is full of frustrating gaps. In this case I can't
find Heinlein's "Glory Road", his lone Fantasy. Norton's "Witch World" series is praised
but I can't find it there. (I think I saw #6 there once) Gordon R Dickson without "Dorsai"
or any of the "Childe Cycle" - come on! ("To Arm Bears" is there, though)

Luck;
Ken
Don't know about the others you mention, but "Glory Road" is available from Kobo http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Glory...HHCczuRPeQ&r=2

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #130
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Strange. I know that name "Paksenarrion", but didn't know it was a fantasy trilogy. I must have heard that name somewhere before. I'll check these books out too
The first book in the series Sheepfarmer's Daughter is probably in the free library. It used to be, but I'm not sure if it still is with all the restructuring Baen has done.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #131
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Baen has much to recommend it but it is full of frustrating gaps. In this case I can't
find Heinlein's "Glory Road", his lone Fantasy. Norton's "Witch World" series is praised
but I can't find it there. (I think I saw #6 there once) Gordon R Dickson without "Dorsai"
or any of the "Childe Cycle" - come on! ("To Arm Bears" is there, though)

Luck;
Ken
A lot of this stuff was published before Baen existed so they are actually available from the publishers that the authors signed with due to problems dealing with a non-existent publisher...

There's a bunch of Norton's Witch World books been going for free on Amazon as well as one of their super cheap megapacks
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #132
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Which Amazon megapacks?

If the books cost next to nothing (like, $2 or less per book, single stories or complete series), I may be persuaded to get myself some evil azw-stuff
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #133
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Which Amazon megapacks?

If the books cost next to nothing (like, $2 or less per book, single stories or complete series), I may be persuaded to get myself some evil azw-stuff
Stuff like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Works-Andre-No.../dp/B002KMJHYG

There's a whole bunch compiled from PD SF titles from the 30's to the 60s. I picked up an entire matched set that ran $0.99-1.99.
Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_myk_ro_title
(Check the reviews.)

Nicely formatted with TOC.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #134
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. However, due to the fact that I live on the wrong side of the ocean, I'm not allowed to buy these works.

Fine. I'll spend my money in other ebook stores then.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #135
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Thanks. However, due to the fact that I live on the wrong side of the ocean, I'm not allowed to buy these works.

Fine. I'll spend my money in other ebook stores then.
Hmm... Odd.
Well, the source material is in the PD... Maybe feedbooks or Munseys or some other site might have the individual stories. For that matter, there might be other compilations at Kindle...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote