Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Hey hey! I found the first Kindle 3 bug!

This is a weird one and I'm not sure why it happens, but it's happened to me twice when messing around in the menus and going back to read. Basically, the top bar disappears! Wha? I fix it by hitting "Back" and then going back into the book again, but look - I actually gain an extra line of text!

Does this mean Amazon is planning to let us hide any bars in the future? Seems rather odd...

PS Ignore the terrible picture colors. It's my cell phone that blows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1059
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	57257   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	57258  
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
This is actually a feature, and described in the K3 User Guide.

I'm not entirely sure I'd like it, though, and displaying/not-displaying the title bar seems like the sort of thing that might be better off as a user-selectable option.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
This is actually a feature, and described in the K3 User Guide.

I'm not entirely sure I'd like it, though, and displaying/not-displaying the title bar seems like the sort of thing that might be better off as a user-selectable option.
It's a feature? Where does it say that, and why would mine randomly turn on and off?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Sorry, I forgot where I d/l'ed the K3 User Guide PDF to, so I can't look up the exact chapter. But the auto-hide title bar when reading a book is definitely described in there.

It's not a random thing (or at least not supposed to be, but maybe the firmware's a bit buggy). Once you click to start reading a book, the title bar's supposed to auto-disappear within 10-30 seconds or so, and only show back up if you click the menu button, or you exit and reopen the book you've been reading.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Because the bar disappears, you can fit another line or so onto the page. If you tap the menu key, the bar and its information will display.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
WilliamG
Addict

No I see how it works now. When you go into the book, it disappears after you turn to the next page. Just seems rather bizarre. I'd prefer it to be a user option since I like being able to see the time at all..err... times.

Oh well... minor issue.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The time has always required you to press the menu button to view.

I like the extra space allowed by removing the top and bottom bars.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
People really don't read the manuals?
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
WilliamG
Addict

I guess I'm stupid.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by norti View Post
There's a manual?
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I spent 25 years writing technical manuals for software companies and sadly I have to admit I often fail to read a manual too, until something goes wrong! Pretty sad but true. I guess it is that adventurous mentality of wanting to figure it out on my own. Or I'm just lazy. Over the past two days of reading posts by people on MR describing how to do this or that (including this one) I'm thinkng I probbly should finally read through the manual rather than just skimming it!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
golfbooks
golfbooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I spent 25 years writing technical manuals for software companies and sadly I have to admit I often fail to read a manual too, until something goes wrong! Pretty sad but true. I guess it is that adventurous mentality of wanting to figure it out on my own. Or I'm just lazy. Over the past two days of reading posts by people on MR describing how to do this or that (including this one) I'm thinkng I probbly should finally read through the manual rather than just skimming it!
I just got the Kindle 3 and I think 90% of what we're going to use it for can probably be figured out by just pressing buttons and seeing what happens. More fun that way too .. but the featured mentioned at the top of this thread is new to me
golfbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
, sadly, no they don't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I guess I'm stupid.
No, you aren't. The K3 is just so intuitive most of us feel we don't have to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
There's a manual?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #14
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Everybody is constantly laughing at me, because of my "What to do, if I receive a new product"-procedure:

1. Receive new product and leave it right there, without immediatly turning it on.

2. Read the manual. (<- At this point, everybody seems to be shocked, that someone is really DOING it!).

On the other hand, everyone's impressed, if I AGAIN know how things work and how to achieve one's aims with a technical machine.

They just don't see the correlance between "reading manuals" and "getting things to work correctly".

I actually enjoy reading manuals, because it always offers potential and it's always my first experience with a new product.
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #15
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
See - That's the good thing about being a sailor. One order something cool stuff off of the 'net while at sea. Then one have plenty very much time to read the manual (which of course has been downloaded) knowing for sure the cool new bling-bling awaits at home, ready to be picked up and played with.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote