Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #46
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Financially, they are still a very good deal for the companies selling them, and therefore must be a bad deal (purely financially) for those buying them. It is a zero sum game, if the finance companies are making money, it is because on average they are charging more than they are paying out.
The products may have become more likely to break, but that in case the prices charged for the insurance will also have risen.

And that is a perfectly good reason to buy them, just note a purely financial one. Peace of mind is something that has to be valued by each person individually, and can't be reduced to a simple dollar figure.
Yes. If you want piece of mind and don't mind spending extra money, buy them, if you want.

The Consumer Reports link I posted above explains most of the reasons why buying an extended warranty is a bad purchase.

If nothing goes wrong (most likely event)...you've literally thrown away money.

Let's say you spend $40 on an extended warranty (pulling number from nowhere). 18 months down the road, your Nook dies. Have fun being on hold, talking with customer service, packing and shipping your nook back, and waiting for it to show back up.

Meanwhile, IF my nook has died, I've ordered a new Nook 3 for $100, with no holding on phone, no shipping, and no hassle. I think that is more piece of mind than the warranty repair method, personally, and $100 isn't a giant financial hardship.

Let's put it this way. There are 2 people. One buys every extended warranty for every purchase. One buys none of them. One gets a few things replaced under warranty. The other replaces or fixes the one or two things that have a problem. Guess who spent more money? That's right, the person that bought every extended warranty. You're financially better off saving every $20 here and $40 there on every warranty than the one or two warranty gambles that might "pay out".

These things are a big profit center for a reason - they generally get unused. That's why these things are a profit. They're a safe bet by the house.

Insurance/warranties should be reserved for things which create a financial hardship if you need to replace or fix them yourself. Otherwise, you're just losing more money than you're gaining, in the long run.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-17-2010 at 03:32 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #47
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Lightbulb an ancient technology competition ?

Is that what this thread is turning to - a listing of ancient technology ?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, my first handheld for e-books was Cassiopeia A-11, manufactured in 1997. Its display is 5.25 inch non-backlit greyscale LCD display. A little bit improved brother of this old display is still used in JetBooks.
OK, fine, you win, I'll join right in:
In the dark ages, I remember using 180k floppy-based Z80-based machines to read and/or communicate 'online' in text mode ONLY, via 300bps acoustic connection on monochrome screens - but wait !
That was AFTER learning on mainframes using teletypes ONLY.
And so what - who would care that I am older than dirt ?
(Shall we now start an age competition too ?)
And so I have an E-ink reader now, because it was cheap enough for me to get it when the silly little JB had quit. A happy accident, so far.

But I posted this thread about positive experiences with added warranties, so all this chatter about reading from granite slabs is very... !!!

Now back to our scheduled program...or not...
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Lightbulb As I've said all along...

Doing this sort of thing VERY selectively has SAVED me plenty:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yes. If you want piece of mind and don't mind spending extra money, buy them, if you want.
Very good:
Quote:
.....and $100 isn't a giant financial hardship.
A very fortunate person indeed.
For me, $100 is 1/2 a month gas/groceries and I have none extra.

This would make a great sitcom:
Quote:
There are 2 people. One buys every extended warranty for every purchase. One buys none of them.
But it is rather extreme for real life.
I do not, nor have I suggested that anyone else ALWAYS buy EVERY one of these things.
I have suggested that they are a grand idea for young technologies, a very good idea for handheld electronics - and I have explained rather completely how judicious use of these things has been beneficial to me personally.

Apparently it must be a personal affront to some that this could POSSIBLY be a positive and/or beneficial idea and those same folks feel they MUST tear any such idea down and PROVE what a BAD IDEA it is.

To each their own I say - and you will not find me tracking down something that you consider positive JUST for the purposes of exuding negativity and tearing down your ideas...for a multitude of good reasons !

This all HAS been quite amusing to watch however.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #49
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm one of those people who, once buying a device that meets my needs, tends to keep it as long as it still works. For me, long term warranties usually make sense, especially if they include accidental breakage.

What bites my backside (beside tall dogs) is when advancing technology forces me to replace a perfectly good device before its time. I have a 7 year old HP LaserJet 1300 printer that works just great except HP discontinued support for it several years ago. Besides the trouble with finding replacement toner cartridges that haven't expired (they are chipped to discourage refilling, a bad idea anyway since the drum is part of the cartridge and tends to fail after the initial toner fill; an expired cartridge blocks access to the tool box which tells the amount of toner left and allows access to certain settings), it will not work with anything higher than XP (one reason why the new computer I bought a couple of years ago to replace the dying 7 year old one came with XP instead of Vista).

My Epson flat bed scanner also works as well as when I got it 7 years ago (which isn't anything to write home about but it does meet my needs) but will not work with anything higher than XP, again because it is no longer supported.

My first netbook died 2 months out of warranty at a very inconvenient time so I replaced it with another one just like it and it died three months later, again at an inconvenient time. It was under warranty but since it had proved to be an unreliable brand (Acer Aspire One; I learned after getting the second one that the Aspire Ones had a high failure rate), I decided to replace it with an Asus which has had better consumer reviews. It also has XP because the Windows 7 Starter that comes with netbooks now is a piece of crap and because some of the software I have will not run on anything higher than XP. I probably will run XP until its last, dying gasp in early 2014 for that reason. Win7 is much better than XP but XP still meets my needs.

My cell phone is a 4-5 year old Oystr (sic). It makes and takes phone calls. The battery always was gutless when making or taking phone calls, about an hour or so worth, but will last for months between charges as long as I don't leave it on. I turn it on only to make a call or if I'm waiting for a call, neither of which is very often. I don't text and I don't need to be connected at the lip to someone 24/7 so it meets my needs.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #50
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
...Shall we now start an age competition too ?...
Bring it! I'm 61.
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #51
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I have suggested that they are a grand idea for young technologies, a very good idea for handheld electronics - and I have explained rather completely how judicious use of these things has been beneficial to me personally.

Apparently it must be a personal affront to some that this could POSSIBLY be a positive and/or beneficial idea and those same folks feel they MUST tear any such idea down and PROVE what a BAD IDEA it is.

To each their own I say - and you will not find me tracking down something that you consider positive JUST for the purposes of exuding negativity and tearing down your ideas...for a multitude of good reasons !
I don't think people have been intending to be quite as nasty as you seem to have taken their posts.
Insurance is a good idea if the cost of replacement would be difficult to come by, or cause personal hardship. This will obviously be a different price point for different people. For me it is house and car, but not iPad or washing machine, for example.
If you can afford to replace an item if it breaks, it will be cheaper long term not to buy the insurance.
I think the quibble is not with whether it is a good choice for you personally, but whether it is suitable advice to give to everyone else, whose circumstances may well be different to yours.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #52
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thumbs up A wonderful way to explain it, thanks !

I salute you Murraypaul, you have said this so wonderfully!:
Quote:
Insurance is a good idea if the cost of replacement would be difficult to come by, or cause personal hardship. This will obviously be a different price point for different people. For me it is house and car, but not iPad or washing machine, for example.
If you can afford to replace an item if it breaks, it will be cheaper long term not to buy the insurance.
I think the quibble is not with whether it is a good choice for you personally, but whether it is suitable advice to give to everyone else, whose circumstances may well be different to yours.
I have tried to be very clear about the personal nature of such a decision, as well as that this idea has worked very well for ME in MY situation.
The only other point I have tried to make is regarding value vs. maturity of tech vs. warranty. But I think you have summed it up better than I have.

Again, to be very clear:
Quote:
I don't think people have been intending to be quite as nasty as you seem to have taken their posts.
I do not get emotionally involved with words on a screen; but if I see someone being very negative or flaming or bashing I do call 'em as I see 'em and like anyone, I can be mistaken too.

Thanks for your wonderful post, and Best Wishes.

mark
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #53
Barnone
Barnone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
If only I had bales and barrels and boxes of moolah:
mark
Mark,
Maybe if you quit buying extended warranties you might have some of that money that you are always crying about.
Just kidding.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #54
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thumbs down

Must be a very unique SOH I guess:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Maybe if you quit buying extended warranties you might have some of that money that you are always crying about.
Just kidding.
There's NO plurality here, it is actually the ONLY one I bought in 2010.
That $20.99 (if it had stayed in my pocket) would still only be $20.99.
(Bought a whole 2 in 2009 and collected nicely on both too.)

Deliberately inaccurate quoting can be made to look like anything, really.

What I did say was:
Quote:
If only I had bales and barrels and boxes of moolah: I'd probably do the same and be drowning in gadgets !
Lacking for disposable $$$ however keeps me careful of the very few things I do buy - and of those which I consider expensive (reader...) and indispensable for daily usage (reader !).
And it occurs to me that making fun of a person's honesty just ain't a very friendly thing to do.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #55
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I would also like to come in to say that Bestbuy has plenty good warranties, they try to fix it if you like but they offer you a new one or something of the same value...I got a 2 year because something tells me I will break this in about that time and by then I can probably walk in and get a Nook2 or whatever is out at the time as a replacement(I am guessing this will be gone by then :-/)...So that whole buy a Nook3 idea is kinda dead in this situation greenmonkey imo.

I used them for my past mp3 players...Good policies.

Actually upgraded to a 16gb from a 4 in the time it lasted...so I got a better player because of my 20 dollar warranty.

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #56
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Insurance is a good idea if the cost of replacement would be difficult to come by, or cause personal hardship.
... whose circumstances may well be different to yours.
Very nicely said.
Many people have significantly different circumstances due to much stronger consumer protection laws here in Europe. In my country, for example, extra warranty is practically unheard-of. We have 2 years warranty by default. And the warranty is transferable. You can also return anything you buy from the Internet within 14 days for a full refund. (Then we wonder why things are much more expensive here than when purchased in USA ;-) )

I am talking about transferable warranty because one Mobilereader has complained that Barnes & Noble refuse to honor warranty for Nook for anyone else than the original purchaser.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #57
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Bring it! I'm 61.
I was born in 61...does that count?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #58
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Any electronic equipment that does not include moving parts (typical e-readers) rarely fail unless you drop them, put them into water or use them at extreme temperatures.

I never ever broke such a thing. Extended warranty would be a total waste for me.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #59
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
ereader issues often occur with their fragile(ish) screens ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #60
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Any electronic equipment that does not include moving parts (typical e-readers) rarely fail unless you drop them, put them into water or use them at extreme temperatures.

I never ever broke such a thing. Extended warranty would be a total waste for me.
You have been lucky. There have been many reports of e-Book failures on MobileRead. I have a Mentor that has locked up on me.

Tags
ebay, kmart, mentor, newegg, warranty