Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Readers with freehand notation capabilities

As much as I am impressed by the new Amazon Kindle 3, it does not meet one of my main requirements - freehand notation on documents. I know there are others on Mobileread who share the same interest, so I want to start a thread which focuses on readers offering freehand notation capabilities.

Here's a start - others are invited to flesh out the info:

Sony-PRS 600 (6")
Sony-PRS 900 (7.1")
Freehand notation possible on all formats which can be viewed (PDF, txt, RTF, etc). When in zoom mode, notations are not possible.
Expansion: MMC/SD/SDHC, Memory Stick Pro Duo
Text-to-speech: no

Onyx Boox 60 (6")
Bebook Neo (6")
Freehand notation only possible on PDFs.
Expansion: SD/SDHC
Text-to-speech: yes?

Hanvon n518 (5")
Freehand notation possible (formats?)
Expansion: SD card
Text-to-speech: yes

I'm sure there are other machines out there as well that offer freehand notation capabilities, I am just not aware of them at the moment.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I think the various IRex readers support free-hand annotations. But I have never used one.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I think the various IRex readers support free-hand annotations. But I have never used one.
The DR1000 and iLiad do - but only for PDF files. The DR800 doesn't support annotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
MrReader
MrReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hanvon Ereaders (as far as I know) only have notation for TXT files, but have nice option for immediate export of notations and hand writings in RTF format.
MrReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Here are a couple more readers with freehand notation:

Hanvon WISEreader N526
http://www.hanvon-deutschland.de/htm...ader_n526.html

Hanvon WISEreader N610
http://www.hanvon-deutschland.de/htm...ader_n610.html
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx has a separate note/scribble feature as well. so you can use it as a notepad ,even adding more "pages" to existing notes. these are exportable.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony and iRex devices also have a "notepad" facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
With the latest updates the Hanvons (n518 and n526 and the new ones) also support notations in pdfs which can even be saved in the pdf itself as far as I understood from several reviews.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
emai7s2
Connoisseur

The new iRiver Cover Story has annotation capabilities:

iRiver Cover Story
http://www.iriver.com/product/view.asp?pCode=002&pNo=80