Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
fedora
Connoisseur
fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
AMSTERDAM 2012 - FREE December 26 and 27

After my publisher turned down this Euro thriller for being too controversial, I published it on Kindle, where it has met with great success, doing what controversial books are meant to do--stirring up readers and opening up discussion on difficult topics.

The story:

A young woman witnesses a murder in Amsterdam that touches off a Muslim rebellion and leads to the Great Eurabian War—World War III.

During her summer break, Ann Aulis travels to Amsterdam with her boyfriend Peter to visit the Anne Frank Museum. They spend the night with a friendly Dutch couple, and the next morning discover their hosts have been murdered. Ann and Peter flee to London only to discover the murders have touched off a Muslim rebellion in Holland that spreads to England. They return to the US, where Peter is detained at Kennedy Airport, then taken away by FBI agents.

Ann returns to her family in Los Angeles, horrified as she sees Muslim rebellions in Europe spread to civil war. With her lover in Guantanamo Bay Prison, Ann watches the United States slowly get dragged into the Eurabian war. As the Muslim world establishes a new caliphate, the United States falls into a major recession caused by high oil prices. Then a major flu epidemic. The only thing keeping Ann sane is her deep attachment to Anne Frank, and her love for Peter. Finally, Ann throws off her passivity, and decides to act.

Available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Also available at Smashwords:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8961

Last edited by fedora; 12-26-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: adding smashwords link
fedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I got it, mostly based on the stellar reviews at Amazon. It looks like it will be a good one. Thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I picked this up at Smashwords along with Primal Wound and Confessions of a Deathmaiden.

I have to say it might be a bit depressing, because from the description it sounds like a mirror of events that seriously worry me. Maybe a bit like Tom Kratman's Caliphate, which was aptly described as a fictional version of Mark Steyn's America Alone, another disturbing book about Europe's demographic death spiral.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
fedora
Connoisseur
fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!

Three of my books! Thank you, Marcy. I looked up Tom Kratman's book. It looks like his book could be a sequel to mine, taking place in the 22nd century. But maybe there's room for me to write a sequel to fill out the rest of this century. -- Ruth
Old 07-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
fedora
Connoisseur

A synagogue was attacked in Malmo, Sweden over the weekend. It is so disturbing to see my fictional account turn into a reality.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read this book on Saturday, and it really shook me up. The scenario is too believable.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
DixieGal, I'll have to move this book to the top of my TBR pile (it means only 6 other books will get read before I read it) after your comment.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!

Let me know if it affects you the same as it did me. I'm still feeling uneasy about things after reading it.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
fedora
Connoisseur

DixieGal -- I guess "uneasy" is exactly what I wanted readers to feel when I wrote the book. If you have any questions about the story, I'd be glad to try to answer them, or point you to some other nonfiction sources. Thanks for reading, Ruth
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
It's in my Wish List. I'll probably buy it when I finish making my Wish List of books to buy eventually.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
fedora
Connoisseur

Darthjoey -- I hope you can get to it soon. I'm gathering ideas for a sequel, so I'm very keen on any feedback. --Ruth
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
fedora
Connoisseur

Deleted--an amusing comment on local NYC politics re: Ground Zero.

Last edited by fedora; 08-12-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
fedora
Connoisseur

I think Christopher Hitchens is just about the smartest guy around. Read what he had to say about this in Slate this week.

http://www.slate.com/id/2264770
Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

I know! The terrorist got on the plane first here in Birmingham. This book flanged back into my mind as soon as I heard. Too close to home!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
fedora
Connoisseur

I could hardly believe it when I saw that. I wrote the first draft of Amsterdam 2012 before Obama was elected, and so many things have happened that I wrote about as fiction. It's really eerie. If we have a flu epidemic this winter, I'll give up writing and become a psychic.

Tags
international thriller, jihad, political, suspense, thriller