Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
barryhf
barryhf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Screw it, I'm buying a nook

I have two sonys. My PRS-505 16 months old and my daughter's prs-300 just a few months old.

I had repeated problems with Piece of Dung PC software. Had to search the web to find out how to uninstall it when it refused to start--oh, the process was there, but the software didn't show any windows.

Now, on one of my macs, I've got essentially the same problem. The software runs--there's a "Reader Library" in the menu bar, but no windows will start.

The tech support guy is mousing around on my Mac right now--I had to suggest a re-install to get started.

The SW update for the Nook seems to have improved the responsiveness. And--of course--there's no PC software at all.

So, I love the hardware. I've read lots of books on my Sony, but I'm right there--right on the verge of chucking all my content and spending another $500 on two new Nooks rather than putting up with this... uh. Dungheap software.

Sony's been the longest on the market. Yet--they can't write an app to sync the thing in all this time.

sorry for the rant...
barryhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I dont know about Sony but I see you mentioned MACs. You ever try Stanza for it?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
You don't have to use Sony Library, there are alternatives like calibre, for example. Even copy & paste via usual File Explorer works fine. You don't get books pre-formatted, but it's not a big deal.

But other than that, yes, it sucks.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhf View Post
oh, the process was there, but the software didn't show any windows.

Now, on one of my macs, I've got essentially the same problem. The software runs--there's a "Reader Library" in the menu bar, but no windows will start.
The only time I ran into this symptom my laptop work machine, running in a docking station, was inadvertently configured for two monitors so my program was opening on a screen I couldn't see.

I would require a larger jump in technology before moving on from the 505. I installed Kartu's PRS+ and it allows for many options not present in the original design of the 505.

I have never used the Sony software with my reader. I have only used the Sony software to purchase the occasional book.

I have used Calibre (open source w/Mac, Linux and PC ports) exclusively to manage my ebooks and my reader since the first day I got my device 15 months ago. Find Calibre forum here.

I now have 1300 ebooks in my library and Calibre allows me to place books on my kids jetBook Lite ereaders too. I know that when I move to another ereader that my ebook management software will not be required to change to match the hardware.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-26-2010 at 06:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I had a similar difficulty w/ the Sony Reader on my Snow Leopard machine --- had to delete all of the preferences before the app would start.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I never used the software more than once or twice. Instead, I just opened the reader under "My Computer" and dragged the book files over to it. Took 10 seconds, and you can do a whole folder full of books at one time.

I did make myself a file in the "media" folder on my reader called "books" and that is where I dropped them. It helped me keep them all together on the reader.

And if your computer has an SD slot, well, problem solved. Just drag all of your books to that and you are finished.

Try it, you'll like it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
barryhf

Can I buy current books from a store other than Sony and read them on PRS-505?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
You don't have to use Sony Library, there are alternatives like calibre, for example. Even copy & paste via usual File Explorer works fine. You don't get books pre-formatted, but it's not a big deal.
OK, then where do I buy my ebook copy of The Lord of the Rings?* I want to read current books by current authors other than Cory Doctorow. To buy those books for the Sony, as far as I know, I must go through the Sony Reader Store.

If Reader Store allowed me to download the books from the website and copy them via the file browser, then using the PRS-505 would be a positive experience.

(* Except the single-volume copy of Return of the King which is inexplicably missing from the Sony Store).
Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Barry-
It looks like Books on Board has

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy for sale at $14.99 (which is actually a little cheaper than the $15.74 Sony is offering it for.) You can also buy all the books individually there if you prefer. Just make sure you choose ePub as the format you want to purchase.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=683134

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Ebooks purchased from Kobo Books can also be read on your Sony.

If you know the title or author of an ebook you wish to read, search on Inkmesh. This will tell you the prices at many online retailers. You Sony will read ePub and PDF. I only read PDF for free books and never pay money for that format.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've installed Reader Library on my old Windows XP Pro system, on my Wife's Windows 7 beta system, on her Windows 7 Home Premium system, on my Windows 7 Ultimate system, on our Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop, on Vista Home Premium before going to Windows 7 Ultimate and on my Mother's Windows XP Home.

That makes 8 installs of Reader library that went without a single hitch. So really, I'd say something you have installed on your Windows system is the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
barryhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
It looks like Books on Board has

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy for sale at $14.99
Thanks, Dordale. I actually went there prior to my purchase, but I must not have searched correctly. Perhaps I'll send a few dollars their way prior to giving up completely.

I've used Adobe Digital Editions in the past, but only for a couple of PDF books from the library--but they are poorly enough formatted that I haven't bothered again (and kcls hasn't yet started loaning ePUBs). Clearly worth another try.

JSWolf, I'm so happy for you that you've had no problems, but I'm no PC novice. Similar behavior has occurred on two different PCs and a Mac (3 out of 4 of the computers I've installed it on) over 16 months. Read the thread, others have had similar problems. I would not recommend the Sony reader, despite the good hardware, because of the app and the store.

However, If I can find sufficient book selection in other places, then perhaps I'll change my tune. We'll see, but I'm not optimistic that Books on Board and other independent eBook resellers can compete with the likes of B&N and (God forbid) Amazon.

Now, off to Books on Board (and others) to give them another chance.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
On my old computer I had Windows 98 hooked up and an authenticated version of Microsoft Reader. I used to love converting books to LIT, but sadly that computer crashed. I got a new one with Vista and Reader wont authenticate to save the computers life. Those fun days are over.

How is the Nook? Better than a Kindle? Anyone know?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
barryhf

Solution to the Mac "No GUI" problem

Quote:
The software runs--there's a "Reader Library" in the menu bar, but no windows will start.
Here is the solution for the "No GUI on the Mac" problem.

Remove this file:
~/Library/Preferences/fsk/1/com.kinoma.fskin.ktStart-kBook.xml
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I've never bought any book from the Sony store.
I'm really reading a lot but only non-DRM and ePub or PDF. So there's no problem getting books from other places and loading onto the PRS using calibre.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
However, If I can find sufficient book selection in other places, then perhaps I'll change my tune. We'll see, but I'm not optimistic that Books on Board and other independent eBook resellers can compete with the likes of B&N and (God forbid) Amazon.
For my PRS-505 I purchase most of my books from Amazon. As long the file isn't in their topaz format it takes minutes to purchase using Kindle4PC, strip the DRM and convert it to ePub. The final result is a book exactly as I want it with the same quality of the purchased DRM'd book.

If it is in the Topaz format you can end up with a book in minutes too, but the quality will be that of an un-proof read OCR document. So unless I desperately want the book I avoid purchasing topaz formated books from Amazon.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angry rant buy a nook