Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
untiedknot
untiedknot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pleasure Reading Learning Survey

Hi everyone, I am doing some research for a school project and I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you who are active pleasure readers. Once I have surveyed a bunch of people I will post the data from the questions I've collected here for all to see.

Please take my quick 10 question survey (you don't have to register anything) and I'll post up the results soon.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...jTJuz3HQ_3d_3d
untiedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi untiedknot, and welcome to the forum. can you tell us a bit more about your research ? it sounds interesting.

i've taken your survey. one question in particular i had a bit of trouble answering, because of the choices available :

Quote:
10. How focused are you pleasure reading in public places?

- I get easily distracted in public spaces

- Somewhat focused

- I'm very focused, people don't bother me
when i'm reading in a café for instance part of the pleasure of being there is noticing what goes on around me, so i look up from time to time and watch people. but i can also be very focused on what i'm reading and not be distracted at all if i don't want to be. i chose "somewhat focused" but it's not because i'm necessarily distracted ; it depends on the situation. and in general, people don't bother me when i read, i can read almost anywhere. but perhaps i'm thinking too hard...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
untiedknot
untiedknot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey Pinwheel, I am studying the way people read outdoors to discover if there are ways to encourage people to spend more time enjoying themselves outside. I'm hoping to propose an solution to combat the addiction to staying inside like vampires, staring at TV and Computer screens all day.

With question ten, what I'm curious about is if people prefer to be in silence to enjoy their reading. So far I've gotten mixed results, where some people feel they can't get into a story without a quiet environment. Others, such as yourself, seem to enjoy others' company.

I'm getting some great feedback and look forward to sharing it soon. Thanks for taking my survey
untiedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I took the survey the other day; afraid I don't do reading outdoors anymore but I used to back in college.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Very stron sunlight in Greece!

I took your survey but I'm afraid that I wasn't much help. The sunlight is generally so strong in Greece that most people avoid it (except at the beach).

People are outside alot - but in shaded (and seated) places.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #6
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Please also remember that many people have bad allergies and "outside" and "relaxing" are total opposite. "Outside" is more like torture! For instance, during grass/tree pollen season in the spring, grain/hay harvest in the summer and into fall I cannot spend more than a few minutes outside without being medicated. A public park is misery - what if they mowed the grass this morning? The neighbor's dandelion problem - gastly! I like winter because I have much more freedom to go where I please even with the bulky clothes for an Inland Northwest winter on the Idaho/Washington border.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
Please also remember that many people have bad allergies and "outside" and "relaxing" are total opposite. "Outside" is more like torture! For instance, during grass/tree pollen season in the spring, grain/hay harvest in the summer and into fall I cannot spend more than a few minutes outside without being medicated. A public park is misery - what if they mowed the grass this morning? The neighbor's dandelion problem - gastly! I like winter because I have much more freedom to go where I please even with the bulky clothes for an Inland Northwest winter on the Idaho/Washington border.
heh, i was about to point out that where i live, the weather is not necessarily warm / dry enough to permit reading outside much of the year, unless "outside" is expanded to include public enclosed places like cafés.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by untiedknot View Post
Hey Pinwheel, I am studying the way people read outdoors to discover if there are ways to encourage people to spend more time enjoying themselves outside. I'm hoping to propose an solution to combat the addiction to staying inside like vampires, staring at TV and Computer screens all day.
A hammock in every backgarden should do the trick It's my favourite place to read, comfortable and shady under the tree...

(but I have to kill a certain cat as he gnawed through a few strings this winter!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
A hammock in every backgarden should do the trick It's my favourite place to read, comfortable and shady under the tree...

(but I have to kill a certain cat as he gnawed through a few strings this winter!)
hmmm, i wish i had a hammock (and a backgarden to hang it in) !!! would be perfect for today...
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
When I was a kid, my favorite reading spot was a makeshift hammock tied up in a tree in our yard. The leaves made it tough to see me unless someone was directly underneath the tree, so it was great to be able to hide out and focus on my book. I also used to read outside in college, but it was really convenient to find somewhere to stop off after class - especially because it was usually easier than asking my passive aggressive roommate to turn her music off or use her headphones.

But I can't remember the last time I read outside, apart from outdoor coffee shop seating. Our yard is a little too distracting, and we aren't in walking distance of any place that I'd want to sit around outside for a few hours. Whenever I go anywhere specific to spend time outdoors, it's either for an event or just to spend time with friends.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I checked it out but quit after the outside questions started. The only outdoor reading I do is at the bus stop waiting for the bus. There is a joke in my city that we only have only three seasons here: Almost Winter, Winter, and July Not very conducive to reading outdoors for fun.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the Boston area, I do see some people reading books or the free newspapers on public transportation. I do see people read in Boston Common and Copley Square.

What I find amusing is seeing people lugging around the big heavy hardbacks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Kimmy and I do read outside.

It is much easier to read electronic books in a 20 mph wind than paper ones.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I read outside sometimes, but in Tennesee you kind of have to pick your moments. Spring and fall, if the weather is nice, it's nice to be outside. In the summer it's too hot and humid and in the winter it rains a lot.

On the other hand, I have been known to put my Kindle in a zip-loc bag and go for a walk in the rain, reading all the way :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm afraid that i can't see the attraction of lying (not laying) on the ground if there is a chair or sofa available. I have a suspicion that some of my older colleagues would find it difficult to rise from a recumbent position on the ground.
Also, many women (and quite a few men) might well feel the need to stay alert in public open spaces, for safety reasons.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote