Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
axelPW2
axelPW2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Poor screen response while tapping for the toolbar

Hi guys!
I have my PW2 which is jailbroken and with KUAL, Kindle Menu Bundle and KOReader, plus USBnet.

With PW2 even from the beginning I have found it very difficult to make the toolbar appearing on top of the screen for performing various actions, eg to press the Home button to go to another application. I have sometimes to touch that top area of the screen even more than 10 times until making the toolbar come out. The screen seems to be OK in terms of touch properties, most probable it's me that I am not doing the right thing, i.e. pressing too long or too short or in the wrong area.

This is extremely annoying wher reading a book in pdf or other formats because my touches are triggering the text highlights and not the toolbar.
Also it happens that books in pdf or epub formats open directly in full-screen mode, therefore making the top toolbar to come out is even more difficult in Portrait mode. I am not even dreaming in Landscape mode (have tested with such a pdf file). The bottom KOReader settings bar is also difficult to handle.

Any advice from your side, please?

Last edited by axelPW2; 05-04-2014 at 08:55 AM.
axelPW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What are you "touching" the screen with?

A touch screen stylus?

Your finger? - - Try your smallest finger.
Seriously, what you describe sounds like a finger much larger than the touch area.
Which **should work** but then again . . . .

I do not have a PW2 - so can not say about that model - -
BUT
on earlier models, many of them seemed to come from the factory with a too sensitive touch screen setting.
I.E: You didn't have to actually touch the screen to trigger it.

So a slow, hesitant, approach to the screen would actually send multiple (unintended) touch signals.
This condition would be worsened if you have any tremors in your hand or finger.

So, next test -
Big breath, hold it, crank up your confidence -
poke that thing in the eye with your smallest finger.

(Thinking: "This is for you lab126!!" sometimes helps, although you may have to use your middle finger to get the full effect.)

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
axelPW2
axelPW2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What are you "touching" the screen with?

A touch screen stylus?

Your finger? - - Try your smallest finger.
Seriously, what you describe sounds like a finger much larger than the touch area.
Which **should work** but then again . . . .

I do not have a PW2 - so can not say about that model - -
BUT
on earlier models, many of them seemed to come from the factory with a too sensitive touch screen setting.
I.E: You didn't have to actually touch the screen to trigger it.

So a slow, hesitant, approach to the screen would actually send multiple (unintended) touch signals.
This condition would be worsened if you have any tremors in your hand or finger.

So, next test -
Big breath, hold it, crank up your confidence -
poke that thing in the eye with your smallest finger.

(Thinking: "This is for you lab126!!" sometimes helps, although you may have to use your middle finger to get the full effect.)
Knc1, thank you!
I don't have big hands and big fingers. I am using the pointer finger, but I will try also with the little finger, although it is not so strong to push it through the PW2 :-))). But determination certainly counts...

OK, I have tested and it works: a short firm push does the job for the top toolbar.
But what about the bottom settings bar in KOReader, does it exist on any book format, i.e. pdf and epub? Or it does show on pdf only if the original files do allow changing the font size? (I have loaded a couple of pdf books which are no scans and I have first processed them with K2pdf.)
axelPW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelPW2 View Post
But determination certainly counts...
I found the same.
Any sort of hesitation or a "tentative" touch rarely results in the intended result.

I have more than one Paperwhite, and there is a lot of variation in sensitivity among them.
That might be programmable, but I don't recall anyone tackling the problem.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote