Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Character Naming Sourcebook

I have a copy (somewhere) of this book in hard cover. Not a bad deal in ebook format at only $1.99 for a copy. It cost me a good bit more than that in hard copy.

Click

Last edited by crich70; 08-08-2014 at 12:55 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
KimaPrince
KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (2012)
This looks like a great resorce, and I found it for the Amazon Kindle as well here. I've added it to my wish list so I'll remember it later.

Another resource I find useful when trying to come up with character names is behindthename.com
KimaPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimaPrince View Post
This looks like a great resorce, and I found it for the Amazon Kindle as well here. I've added it to my wish list so I'll remember it later.

Another resource I find useful when trying to come up with character names is behindthename.com
It is a useful book. I have a copy (somewhere) in hard copy but I think it got packed away in a box somewhere. Ebook format is a lot more portable.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Meh....when I can't think of character names, I just use "Thor" and "Electra."

Kidding, but if anyone get's the reference (and it's NOT Marvel movies!) you get Karma.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Meh....when I can't think of character names, I just use "Thor" and "Electra."

Kidding, but if anyone get's the reference (and it's NOT Marvel movies!) you get Karma.

ApK
Spoiler:
Norse and Greek Myths?
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
A brand of travel trailer? Sorry, make mine an Airstream, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Spoiler:
Norse and Greek Myths?
Hmm..Well, yeah, but not what I was going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
A brand of travel trailer? Sorry, make mine an Airstream, lol.
Wow. So they are. I didn't know that. Not what I was thinking of.

No "Cheers" fans here?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm..Well, yeah, but not what I was going for.

Wow. So they are. I didn't know that. Not what I was thinking of.

No "Cheers" fans here?
Never really watched the show.
Spoiler:
but weren't they norm the mailman's pets?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Never really watched the show.
Spoiler:
but weren't they norm the mailman's pets?
Since that was obviously a wild guess, it would have been pretty impressive if it was right!

No, there was memorable scene where Dr. Frasier Crane was using a pretense to talk to Sam about Diane and himself:

Quote:
Frasier: l have this patient. Let's call him -- give him any old name -- Thor.
[...]
Thor's girlfriend -- let's call her Electra -- cried out another man's name during the act of love.

Sam: Oh, Thor. Ouch.

Frasier: Precisely.
So usually, if a situation comes up in conversation when a person wants hypothetical names, and they're expecting something like "Alice" and "Bob" I offer "Thor" and "Electra."
Character naming conundrum solved!

Last edited by ApK; 10-01-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Since that was obviously a wild guess, it would have been pretty impressive if it was right!

No, there was memorable scene where Dr. Frasier Crane was using a pretense to talk to Sam about Diane and himself:

So usually, if a situation comes up in conversation when a person wants hypothetical names, and they're expecting something like "Alice" and "Bob" I offer "Thor" and "Electra."
Character naming conundrum solved!
I'd have been surprised if I'd guessed right the 2nd time as well.