Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Only for people who live outside the US!
I own a Cybook. Never had to use the warranty 8 29.63%
I own a Cybook. Made use of the warranty 1 3.70%
I own a Sony Reader. Never felt the lack of warranty 9 33.33%
I own a Sony Reader. Had an incident where I could have used the warranty, but it wasn't available! 1 3.70%
I live in the U.S. (or otherwise N/A) 9 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
crazyTash
Enthusiast
crazyTash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, eBookwise 1150
sony reader vs cybook warranty. Please vote!

This poll is just for people living outside the US. Yes, there is life outside the US

Many people (who live outside the US!) are undecided between the cybook and the sony reader. I am one such person.
I think what would help me is a statistic on the number of people who actually made use of their warranty. Is it worth paying that much more just for the warranty? That is the question!

More than one option can apply to you!

Last edited by crazyTash; 01-29-2008 at 12:18 PM.
crazyTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Warranty is nice but I think dictionary support and that you can use whatever font you want and has more sizes to choose from is more important.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Plus the fact that it has proper support for font families; the Sony "synthesises" italic and bold fonts, which looks ugly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
crazyTash
Enthusiast

I agree they are very good features! But I don't need them. The only deciding factor for me is the warranty. That's why I want to get peoples experience with the warranty of their products.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
so if its your only deciding factor, why dont you get the device WITH the warranty?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
crazyTash
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
so if its your only deciding factor, why dont you get the device WITH the warranty?
I live in Canada. I can't get a warranty for the Sony Reader. However, I can get the warranty for Cybook. But the Cybook is a lot more expensive and considering that I will not use the extra features....

Hence my dilemma
Old 01-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Do you have a friend or relative who lives in the US and wouldn't mind doing you a favour? If so, use them as a mail-forwarding depot if you ever need to use the Sony warranty. Just don't use your Canadian address to register the Reader.

It's worth noting, however, that the Sony 505 I just bought on eBay (new in box but from a private individual) has a Canada-compliant bilingual (English-French) box and (bilingual) Canadian standards info on the back of the Reader itself. So, easy Canadian access to the Sony Reader (with full warranty) may not be as far off as it originally seemed...

I have both the Cybook and the Sony 505. Features-wise, I'm not entirely convinced that the font choices and secure Mobipocket compatibility justify the added cost for the Cybook, so I'm not about to argue that you need to take those into consideration as well as the warranty. If the warranty is your main concern, I'd probably say, go with the Sony - with the caveat that you should probably have someone who does have a U.S. address who would be willing to act as a mail forwarder in case of warranty claims.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
crazyTash
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
Do you have a friend or relative who lives in the US and wouldn't mind doing you a favour? If so, use them as a mail-forwarding depot if you ever need to use the Sony warranty. Just don't use your Canadian address to register the Reader.

It's worth noting, however, that the Sony 505 I just bought on eBay (new in box but from a private individual) has a Canada-compliant bilingual (English-French) box and (bilingual) Canadian standards info on the back of the Reader itself. So, easy Canadian access to the Sony Reader (with full warranty) may not be as far off as it originally seemed...

I have both the Cybook and the Sony 505. Features-wise, I'm not entirely convinced that the font choices and secure Mobipocket compatibility justify the added cost for the Cybook, so I'm not about to argue that you need to take those into consideration as well as the warranty. If the warranty is your main concern, I'd probably say, go with the Sony - with the caveat that you should probably have someone who does have a U.S. address who would be willing to act as a mail forwarder in case of warranty claims.
Thanks! That is very useful advice. I do have friends in the U.S. who wouldn't mind being my go-between!

Also, thanks for your comparison on the Cybook and Reader features. It helps when people who have used both devices give their opinion. I have noticed that if people just use one device, they are very loyal to that device and cannot see beyond it. Not always...but most of the time

btw a general question...can the registration be changed at a later stage? Say after the 1 year warranty period expires?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You don't actually put in an address, per se, when you register with the Sony store, there's just a check-box that you live in the U.S.

The once the warranty period expires, I suspect you might not care where Sony happens to think you live.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
crazyTash
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info!
I'm going with the PRS 505
Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
gimmmo
gimmmo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyTash View Post
Thanks! That is very useful advice. I do have friends in the U.S. who wouldn't mind being my go-between!
Yeah... thanks for the advise... I'll ask my fren in the US too
gimmmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
jpb
jpb began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyTash View Post
I live in Canada. I can't get a warranty for the Sony Reader. However, I can get the warranty for Cybook. But the Cybook is a lot more expensive and considering that I will not use the extra features....

Hence my dilemma
I live in Canada as well. I bought a Cybook. In theory I have a warranty. In practice Cybook's do not have any warranty as they do not respond to customers with display problems. I should have bought a Sony.
jpb is offline   Reply With Quote