Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How do I load a Kindle book I bought on Amazon onto Calibre?

I have the Kindle Application on my Mac and the Kindle App on my iPad.

But I always have a hard time getting Amazon books loaded on Calibre.

I just got a book and can see it on my Kindle application, and I found the cover modified today with the following path and name:

/Users/HBrazee/Library/Application Support/Kindle/Cache/covers/AF78AEEE8503F39D7133867F97B645DE.jpg

I haven't been able to find the rest of the book though. I'd like to print up a step-by-step instruction sheet on how to get an Amazon purchase on Calibre.
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The files (the ebook itself has the suffix .azw) should be on your computer in the My Kindle Content folder in your Documents folder. You can sort by file type and date to find the files easier, since the naming convention is Amazon's product code rather than title and author.

Do you want to strip the DRM? If so, then you'll have to google Apprentice Alf and get the tools for that installed before you import the files to calibre. Then you can add the ebook files to calibre by dragging and dropping them into the program or by using the Add Books icon in calibre.

Last edited by Synamon; 06-15-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Ahh, I found it. I don't know why they store the cover one place and the document elsewhere.

I bought 1 book, but see that between 11:03 and 11:08, "My Kindle Content" has two .mpb files, five .apnx files, and an .azw file.

I've done this before, but forgot how. While I have the drm protection, I try very hard to only buy from sources without .drm, and forgot how.

One reason to copy to Calibre is to give it a usable name. Another reason is I got Spotlight to work on Calibre e-books, so I can find strings and know what book they are from.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Hmmm, sandboxed. So I can't use iBooks to read my book, but I can still use Stanza to read it.

Tags
amazon kindle load