Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
[Kindle Touch] Localization

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FIRMWARE 5.1.0:
If you are running 5.1.0, DO NOT attempt the installation. If you are planning to update to 5.1.0, UNINSTALL the language pack and the locale settings enabler before updating. DO NOT REINSTALL AFTER THE UPDATE.

Unfortunately, this effort seems to have come to an end, at least for the time being. All initially active developers have switched their attention to other projects. However, this does not mean that internationalization/localization for newer firmware versions is impossible. In fact, all the required tools exist and are ready to use. The only thing that is needed is someone who is willing to spend some effort on this. All it takes is a little bit of initiative, but it seems like nobody is willing to do that.

Information on how to get your Kindle Touch localized can be found below.

Here are a few screenshots of a Kindle that was localized to german:
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.png
Views:	1746
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	84301Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.gif
Views:	1735
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	84297Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3.gif
Views:	1655
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	84299Click image for larger version

Name:	screen4.gif
Views:	1469
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	84300

The following instructions are valid for Kindle Touch firmwares 5.0.0 - 5.0.4.

All language pack snapshots starting from February 13, 2012 are considered "stable" releases (in the sense that iff the chosen language is 100% correctly translated, your Kindle should be fully localized). Your mileage may still vary for individual languages, as described below.

Note: for the german localization (only!), there is also an all-in-one-installer which replaces steps 2.-5. below by a single one. See here for more information.

To get your Kindle Touch localized:
  1. Install the jailbreak, if you haven't done so before.
  2. Install the locale settings enabler package. Note that this package is not strictly required, but strongly recommended. It enables an entry in the Kindle settings which allows you to easily customize the language. If you do not install this, then you will have to know how to use the command line on the device to change the language settings.
  3. Install your favorite language pack. Daily automatically generated snapshots of all available languages can be found here (reaching back approximately 2 months, older versions may be deleted). These packages can be installed on all currently available Kindle Touch firmwares (5.0.0 - 5.0.4). Be aware that for some languages, translation is still work in progress, so localization may only be partial for your language (see more or less representative statistics). You might even experience crashes etc. You have been warned.
  4. Finally, select your preferred language from the "International" settings.
  5. Some (but not all) language packs come with a localized set of default browser bookmarks. If you want to remove all browser bookmarks (thus resetting them to the default state provided by the language pack), install the bookmarks resetter. Note that bookmarks are reset to the ones provided by the currently active language, so only install this after you have switched languages.
  6. To update a language pack: If BOTH the previous, and the current language pack are dated February 1 or newer, you can simply install the new package over the old one. If you have packages dated January 31 or older, please uninstall the packages using the original uninstallers (don't forget to also uninstall the now obsolete locale-base package!), then install as outlined above.
  7. To uninstall a language pack, repeat the above steps in reverse order, using the respective uninstaller ("update_*_uninstall.bin) instead. For all packs created starting February 13, 2012, the uninstallers are compatible (in fact, identical), so you can use a newer uninstaller to uninstall an older translation pack, and vice versa. (Of course, you still have to use the correct uninstaller matching the language).

If you want to get involved in the translations:
  • Join all 4 subprojects at Transifex. Your language will only even be considered for the automatic snapshots if it exists in the "locale" subproject; merely adding it to the "framework" subproject is NOT enough.
  • MUST READ information for translators!
  • To create translation installers on your own, you will need to clone this git repository and use "java tool/kt-l10n.jar". A possibly simpler alternative, especially if you're on Windows, is to use the prebuilt VirtualBox appliance.

If you are using the abovementioned appliance:
Spoiler:
  1. Update the "dist" command to the newest version: wget -O /usr/local/bin/dist http://api2.ge.tt/0/9XeUvcC/31/blob/download. This needs to be done only once, and only if you're actually using the "dist" command, of course.
  2. Get the latest version of the tools: cd /root/kindle-touch-l10n; git clean -f -d; git pull
  3. The "tx pull" command must be issued inside the kindle-touch-l10n directory, i.e.: cd /root/kindle-touch-l10n; tx pull -s -a
  4. Only then run the dist command as shown in the message (displayed after you log in).

Original Post:

Hi all,

I have been playing around with the K-Touch to see whether / how it can be localized to languages other than english. Even if it's officially only available in the US, I presume that there are other people out there who would want to see it localized.

I'm not quite at the point of releasing anything yet, but I think I figured out most of the required changes. They affect multiple parts of the system:
* "graphical" messages via blanket ("your kindle is booting","you are connected in USB drive mode" etc).: These are standard locale files (.mo), found in /usr/share/locale.
* Java subsystem: much, but not all, of the UI. Can be localized by dropping the relevant resource bundles into the classpath.
* Pillow (HTML/JS) subsystem: while the strings are nicely outsourced into /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/strings/ , there doesn't seem to be a non-obtrusive way to add additional languages. Probably the best solution is to bind-mount a directory containing the localized strings.
* WAF Apps (Browser etc.): didn't look into these yet, but it would probably be similar to pillow.

The good news is that the K-Touch actually comes with localization facilities (even the UI part of selecting language and various keyboard layouts). These features are present in the code, but not activated. It only takes a slight patch to one class to activate them though. I'd post a screenshot of what it looks like, if only I knew how to make screenshots ;-)

So, anybody interested in this stuff? Any ideas for how the Javascript can be localized in the least intrusive way possible?

Last edited by ixtab; 06-02-2012 at 04:56 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you find the way to add additional locales definition so that langpicker notices it and displays UI?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
mc2739
mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I'd post a screenshot of what it looks like, if only I knew how to make screenshots ;-)
Kindle touch screenshot procedure:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=8
mc2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Did you find the way to add additional locales definition so that langpicker notices it and displays UI?
Hmmm... available locales should go into /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/. I know that langpicker seems to have a UI component, but I never got to interact with it. How do you get there in the first place?

Anyway, I don't think that's a huge deal though, because you can use the settings menu. These screenshots give a pretty good impression of what it looks like. The main settings page is already semi-localized (first attempt).

Thanks mc2739 for the screenshot hint.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm... available locales should go into /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/. I know that langpicker seems to have a UI component, but I never got to interact with it. How do you get there in the first place?
Should additional locale definition be contained in an additional file with format of default.properties or it should be added as something else?

Langpicker UI could be invoked (I assume) with sending event via lipc. Look into /etc/upstart/langpicker.conf. But I didn't managed to create additional locale definition so that it could be seen by langpicker (but it's definitely must be located in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/). And when langpicker sees only one locale definition, it chooses it automaticaly without showing GUI.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't think that's a huge deal though, because you can use the settings menu. These screenshots give a pretty good impression of what it looks like. The main settings page is already semi-localized (first attempt).
Looks pretty cool!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Should additional locale definition be contained in an additional file with format of default.properties or it should be added as something else?
It's one file per locale. In principle, the file name doesn't matter. Here are the ones I created:
Code:
[root@kindle locales]# cat de.properties 
locale=de
locales.supported=de-DE
display.name.de-DE=Deutsch
[root@kindle locales]# cat pl.properties 
locale=pl
locales.supported=pl-PL
display.name.pl-PL=Polski
posix.id=en_US.UTF-8

Quote:
Langpicker UI could be invoked (I assume) with sending event via lipc. Look into /etc/upstart/langpicker.conf. But I didn't managed to create additional locale definition so that it could be seen by langpicker (but it's definitely must be located in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/). And when langpicker sees only one locale definition, it chooses it automaticaly without showing GUI.
Oh, I see. Yep, "lipc-send-event com.lab126.blanket.langpicker pickLocale" shows the locale-picker screen indeed. Still, if you're interested in the additional settings, use the attached file: rename to .jar and drop it into /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/. Once you restart the framework, the "manage dictionaries" item on the settings page is replaced by "International".

(UPDATE: see my next post on how to access that page without needing this file!)
UPDATE2: It is strongly recommended to use the installer file linked from the first post, instead of this file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip locale-base.zip (6.9 KB, 688 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 01-26-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: update: installer package
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Is it possible to make a launcher extension that shows the language settings screen?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Is it possible to make a launcher extension that shows the language settings screen?
Wohoo, yes! Just found this out now:
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.settings?historyView=INTERNATIONAL
The launcher extension is trivial then.

Still, I personally prefer the method of "overriding" the class file because it integrates more naturally (and BTW, no functionality is lost: the dictionaries management is also available as a sub-option of the "international" settings). The only question is how it would behave on OTA updates which affect the SettingsDisplayController implementation.

Oh, you can go to any of the view modes defined by in the SettingsBooklet hashmap using this method. I assume this also goes for other booklets.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
ixtab, you can use my localization hack to localize KT. My K3Translator.jar program can extract all strings from given JARs, so you can localize it. Second - when you install hack, it on-the-fly translate original JAR and mount localized files (in K3) or make additional language (in K4). So most of work is done
I'm already bought KT, but I will receive it in the middle of Jan (so I can't make my localizations for KT).
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
ixtab, you can use my localization hack to localize KT. My K3Translator.jar program can extract all strings from given JARs, so you can localize it. Second - when you install hack, it on-the-fly translate original JAR and mount localized files (in K3) or make additional language (in K4). So most of work is done
I'm already bought KT, but I will receive it in the middle of Jan (so I can't make my localizations for KT).
Thanks for the suggestion! (Fortunately) I didn't start with the actual translation yet, still poking around. I do have a home-grown script to extract localizable data, but it's more of a hack. So I'll certainly take a look at your program. The KT probably shares a lot of commonalities with the K4, so I assume that much of the work done for the K4 is also applicable to KT. In any case, a single jar with resource bundles (.properties) should do, so it's much less messy than it was on the K3.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Couldn't we assume, that the localisation, at least the ones being on K4, are on the Touch es well?
@Sir Alex, could ypu provide the GER files from the K4 or tell me, where to find them.

@ixtab, I have done a nearly perfect german localisation on the K3 for a small group in Germany. Could give you a hand in doing the GER localisation for the touch. I am still hoping, Amazons starts to ship the touch international with the same language packages as the K4. Would like to do NOT the same amount of work as on the K3.
Would you provide me with the part you already have done?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Couldn't we assume, that the localisation, at least the ones being on K4, are on the Touch es well?
That's what I assumed as well, but this is not the case. The KT supports localization, but comes without any locales anyway (except for the en_US one of course). Still, I was hoping that the locales would be somewhat compatible, so that ideally, one could take K4 locale jars and put them on the KT. So I got my hands on the K4 locales with the help of Sir Alex, and quickly whipped up a script to compare them to the KT ones. Guess what:
- there are 637 resource ids present on the K4, but not on the KT.
- there are 654 resource ids present on the KT, but not on the K4.
- there are 61 resource ids in common.

Take these numbers with a grain of salt, as this is preliminary work. But you get the idea. All is not lost yet... I will further investigate this (seeing if I can find more matches when comparing the content instead of the ids). I'll keep you updated.
In the worst case, of course there is always prior work to build upon -- if only for the sake of not re-thinking about how to translate every single phrase, but already having a nice stock to start with. This also addresses your comment below - It'll still be work, but it should be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
@ixtab, I have done a nearly perfect german localisation on the K3 for a small group in Germany. Could give you a hand in doing the GER localisation for the touch. I am still hoping, Amazons starts to ship the touch international with the same language packages as the K4. Would like to do NOT the same amount of work as on the K3.
Would you provide me with the part you already have done?
I would, if only I already had anything (the screenshots above were the only thing I translated so far, just to see how it goes, and what the pitfalls are).

My suggestion, if you want to contribute to de_DE, is the following:
- [get a KT, jailbreak it if needed], and create the locale "metadata" file as outlined above, and get the KT to even think that there are other locales installed. See the various LIPC commands above.
- start by translating the blanket messages in /usr/share/locale. This is pretty straightforward and not a terrible amount of work. It's still pretty rewarding. And most of all it's completely independent from the rest.
- in the mean time, I'll keep looking at those Java locales and keep you updated about my findings. Don't be afraid of me translating everything on my own, I certainly won't. I'm still at the point of figuring out how to make this entire process as easy as possible (before even starting actual translation). Of course, this should also be useful for other translators.
- I suggest to leave the pillow / WAF parts out of the game for now, for one very simple reason: to provide a consistent terminology, this step should probably come *after* the Java part is done. However, if you're eager to jump at it, I'm attaching a very preliminary version of the wifi stuff in german.

These suggestions are really just that: suggestions. What I'm trying to avoid is stepping on each other's toes (in the sense of duplicating work).

Feel free to contact me by PM for any particular topics out of scope of this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: txt wifi_wizard_dialog_strings.js.txt (7.2 KB, 844 views)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

Oh, one more thing: If you look at the wifi strings, you'll notice there are a LOT of common prefixes/suffixes. These are present in the original file as well, but they involve a lot of copy/pasting. Since this is interpreted JS code, it may be a good idea to factor out the commonalities once, and then simply reuse them.

I'd bet that other translators would also be grateful for such refactorings (which would, in that case, have to be done on the "source" files obviously).
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

@ixtab:
I have K3W, K4, KT and Fire, so nearly the whole set. But I am not too experienced in programming, just did a hell of translating based on SirAlex work. At least I got a lot of understanding where to find what. K4 not jailbroke yet, because it works well enough in German. Would do, if I could get useful things out of it, i.E. all the buttons in German. Theese I have translated "manually" as well.

You know, that Fire is easy to open for all languages? It is just installing a small apk which gives the way to the android localisation. To be found on xda-developers.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #15
diba
Addict

I will have to go in the root of K4 to check. If the files are on K4 differentiated in language packages, there should be somehow a way at least to verify on a Touch, if they could be installed. Can not believe, that it is completely incompatible.