Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
HandStory and Tungsten T3: serious problem with categories

Since buying my Tungsten T3 I've repeatedly lost all my HandStory categories and all my Memos categories. It seems the problem is due to the replacement of MemoPad by Memos on the T3. It's a real pain. Namo are aware of it and the update that they posted here supposedly solves it. Or does it?

Namo state that
Quote:
. The problem of the converter not being able to store the category and bring in the category information from the Palm Desktop's Memo is solved.
, but further down the same page they say that
Quote:
To maintain the compatibility with the previous versions, the category information of the new version is not supported when bringing in the Memo Category
Anyone else been having this problem? Anyone found a solution?
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
BasilC
Zealot

More than four months and no reply! I'll have to reply myself.

The problem's been solved, not by HandStory, but by PalmOne, who've released a TT3 update which solves this and other incompatibilities between the TT3 PIMs and various 3rd party applications. Just when I'd given up hope!
Advert
Old 09-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #3
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
I had given up using Handstory because of that problem then. I still keep the desktop, since it's convenient just click the icon to convert text on clipboard to DOC. I just use iSilo to read them. Note that converting to memo will cause big problems before(as in wiping the memos clean), I haven't tried using Handstory (and didn't plan to) after the new update from Palmone...
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru
I still keep the desktop, since it's convenient just click the icon to convert text on clipboard to DOC. I just use iSilo to read them. ...
I didn't realise that you could use HandStory to produce documents for reading with iSilo. How do you do it? Just uncheck the "Compressed" box? There's no doubt that iSilo is a better reader, but I think HandStory is better for grabbing data from a browser or other desktop application.

Quote:
Note that converting to memo will cause big problems before(as in wiping the memos clean), I haven't tried using Handstory (and didn't plan to) after the new update from Palmone...
The problem I had was that the memo and HandStory categories would all be lost. With the new PalmOne update that problem has gone (I hope!)

I still think that HandStory is the best application for grabbing images from a web browser, the only thing missing is that you can't zoom in or out once on the pda.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
If you click the Handstory icon on taskbar, it will use whatever is in your clipboard. A popup will let you select hotsync name and type. I use Doc type, this will produce Palmdoc that is readable by iSilo. Note that these are plain texts not isilo HTML. Images copied and converted by Handstory are not readable by iSilo but if I am not wrong (I am not sure on this), it is readable by Fireviewer.

For grabbing web browser images, I use iSilo that's integrated with IE or the JPluck extension for Plucker. First, I get the image's location, copy and paste it into the browser address bar. That should load the graphic only, no unnecessary HTML. Then I click on the iSilo icon or use the JPluck Extension...

Now that PalmOne had fixed that problem, I might give Handstory another try though I am waiting whether they would update their application soon...
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2004, 01:54 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
First, I get the image's location, copy and paste it into the browser address bar. That should load the graphic only, no unnecessary HTML.
With Mozilla/Firefox you can right click on an image and select "View Image." This is a shortcut to copy/pasting the image URL and has the same effect of displaying the image only, no other HTML.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
If you click the Handstory icon on taskbar, it will use whatever is in your clipboard. A popup will let you select hotsync name and type. I use Doc type, this will produce Palmdoc that is readable by iSilo. Note that these are plain texts not isilo HTML. ...
Thanks for the tip. I like the ease of grabbing text with HandStory, but I like the autoscroll and other aspects of the iSilo viewer on the pda.
Quote:
For grabbing web browser images, I use iSilo that's integrated with IE or the JPluck extension for Plucker. First, I get the image's location, copy and paste it into the browser address bar. That should load the graphic only, no unnecessary HTML. Then I click on the iSilo icon or use the JPluck Extension...
This is very complicated compared with just right clicking in HandStory, then having the ability to crop, change colour etc. Also, I don't use IE, I use either NetCaptor or Opera, and iSilo won't integrate with either of these.