Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Smile My Kobo Vox has been shipped!

Just got the email. I requested shipping to my closest Chapters store.

YAY!
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Anyone know if Chapters will be carrying them this weekend - or at least have them on display? I was planning to go take a look and maybe buy one.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

They are supposed to receive them on Friday (and sell them to customers). When I went to the store to order mine, they said on Friday they would have demo models set up to try out ...
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I also called a local chapters today and said they are expecting to have them Friday for both sale and demoing.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
well i'm super excited to see reviews of the Vox. I wasn't a fan of the Nook Color because I thought it very heavy compared to my Sony PRS-505, but now that I've shifted my viewpoint and look at these more as internet browsers, tablets, readers for colorful books/magazines/PDFs, I'm starting to want one. Of course, I also want to upgrade my 505 for a current-gen E-Ink reader so I'm not sure what I'll go for first.. but I'm looking forward to reviews. Especially curious about the screen quality on the Vox.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
I am hoping Future Shop has them this Friday as well. If so, I will pick one up there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Chapters will let you return the Vox once you have opened the box. Future Shop is great this way - you have 2 weeks to return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congrats!
Looks like a nice ebook reader!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
friktion
Zealot

I can confirm this. Which is why I'm going on Friday to check out the Demo model, even though I've ordered one. If I don't like the demo (or if it feels cheap, like I found the regular Kobo models) I will cancel and get refunded my Vox payment.

Yes, Chapters told me at the time if you open the box, you cannot return it! Sounds very fishy to me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
I am hoping Future Shop has them this Friday as well. If so, I will pick one up there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Chapters will let you return the Vox once you have opened the box. Future Shop is great this way - you have 2 weeks to return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Chapters does not sell open box/refurbs. Canadian law does not allow a return that has been opened to be sold as new. That may be the rub.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Yeah - BUT, if you bought your Vox at Chapters and something goes wrong within your one year warranty, they will usually swap your broken/defective unit for a brand new one - rather than have you ship it back to Kobo in Toronto.

So...makes sense to me to go look at the demo in Chapters, and if you like it, buy it from them. You're going to get 100 times better customer service from Chapters than you'll ever get from Future Shop because Chapters (Indigo) is a major shareholder of Kobo - don't you think?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
I can confirm this. Which is why I'm going on Friday to check out the Demo model, even though I've ordered one. If I don't like the demo (or if it feels cheap, like I found the regular Kobo models) I will cancel and get refunded my Vox payment.

Yes, Chapters told me at the time if you open the box, you cannot return it! Sounds very fishy to me ...
There are lots of stores like this. I once bought a cheap baby product that was in one of those horrible plastic packages that you have to cut open. I cut it carefully along the seam so you couldn't even tell that it had been opened, decided I didn't like the item and then returned it. The small local store I bought it from wouldn't take it back for a refund, even though it was totally resellable.

This is why, as a consumer, if I see two identical items, and one is priced low in a package that is sealed and another one is priced slightly higher in a package I can open and re-pack without anyone knowing, I'll buy the item that is priced higher because it gives me the option of returning it.

The problem with re-selling electronics is that there are usually unsealed batteries involved, so selling 'as new' would be unfair to the people shopping at the stores. This happens quite a bit with cordless phones. I've bought some before that have obviously been returned (I wonder if the new batteries have been swapped out, and then the phone re-packed and returned). This is why these types of things need to be sealed (or at least have the security seal).