Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
q345
q345 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Can't update cover if file cover.jpg is already in the directory ?

If I already have a cover.jpg file in the directory and I go to metadata editor, download a cover and hit 'OK' I got

File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/utils/magick_draw.py", line 221, in save_cover_data_to
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'..../cover.jpg'

I need to go to the directory, manually remove cover.jpg file, only then, when I hit OK, new cover file is saved.

I have the latest Calibre 7.1 installed under Ubuntu
The line 221 in magic_draw just tries the open cover.jpg file for writing in 'wb' mode

221 with open(path, 'wb') as f:

My question is if 'wb' (write in binary mode) necessary when opening file in Linux (not in Window) and if this might cause the problem ?
q345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I just tried it and it worked fine for me in linux (wb mode works on both linux and windows and indeed is used throughout calibre).

Is this happening with all books or just one book?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
q345

Happens with all the books ( Calibre directory is on NAS)

Hi Kovid !

(It was quick !)

It happens with all the books. My Calibre directory is on NAS Can this be the reason ( I think SQLite/metadata is not involved , it just try to write file?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont see why being on NAS would cause a problem.

Tome me the message about

Can you post the actual path that occurs in the error message instead of ..../cover.jpg
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
q345

Here are the complete details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/dialogs/metadata_single.py", line 704, in accept
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 474, in set_cover
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/utils/magick_draw.py", line 221, in save_cover_data_to
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u"/mm/CalibreLibrary/Pindar/The Complete Odes (Oxford World's Classics) (82)/cover.jpg"

/mm is mountpoint for NAS directory

cover.jpg has all the permissions for read/write

I need 'cd' to directory and do 'rm cover.jpg' then it works.
Also if I hit 'Reset cover to default' save it and then download covert and save - it work as well. Looks like the mere presence of cover.jpg is the problem

P.S. I tried to do source install of 7.1 to try and modify 'wb' to 'w'. First it required poppler package - when I installed it , it run further but fail in one of gcc compilation

Last edited by q345; 06-06-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont need to do a source install, you can run calibre from source easioly by following the instructions in the user manual for setting up a development environment
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
q345

Run in debug mode with 'wb' changed to 'w' didn't help

Run in debug mode with 'wb' changed to 'w' didn't help
Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

strange. You can work around it by simply putting in

if os.path.exists(path): os.remove(path)

in that function.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
q345

This line works (problem is it tries to open file for writing)

Hi Kovid !

This line works. Thanks

I wound out that the problem (for some reason) is that it tries to open file for writing) I inserted before line 221 )

ff = open(path, 'r')
print ff
ff.close()

it print filename OK

but

ff = open(path, 'w')
print ff
ff.close()

Cries Errno 2 - No such file.

Again, I didn't check if it's the same for local directory or only for mountpoint. I don't have this problem for other metadata

I can't understand why it can't open this particular file for writing. Is locking might be involved. it was mounted with mount -t cifs
Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I'm afraid I don't have a clue as to what the problem might be.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
q345

There are 2 workarounds so it's not a big problem

One is to delete the file in magic_draw.py
and second is to reset the cover from metadata menu.

I'll try to see if it happens on local harddrive too
Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
What if I don't want a Cover page. No cover...nada.
How to convince Calibre?
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

click the trash icon under the cover image in edit metadata
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
KayakerNC What if I don't want a Cover page. No cover...nada.
How to convince Calibre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
click the trash icon under the cover image in edit metadata
Then Calibre decides to duplicate the 1st page as a cover. I don't want to see any cover page, but I can live with it.
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
q345

It turned out not to be a Calibre problem

Kovid !

It turned out not to be a Calibre problem,

When I invoke python interpreter it can't open ANY existing file for writing if this file is located on NAS ( mounted with mount -t cifs). It can delete file, create new file and open existing file for reading, but not 'w' or 'wb' mode in open if file exists. It return error code 2, saying "No such file"