Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
unix has a magic database ?????? i must switch immediately !! does it come with a pony, too ????
Sure, all the important stuff is under /etc

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
"locate" and "grep" found no pony under my /etc.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #34
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Must have run off. Try "unicorn". It's usually under "/etc/magic-forest/".
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
i would complain about that to someone, clearly you got an incomplete version. or maybe try a new distro.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
i doubt jellby will be able to find any unicorns : i'm pretty sure they can only be approached by a young girl. unless you've got one of those under /etc as well ?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #37
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Well, I have one right here:

Code:
$ locate unicorn
/usr/share/doc/unicorn
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #38
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
is it me or sigil now feels even more slower than the previous version. Everytime I click a delete it takes atleast 7-10 secs to actually do some action. It's an amazing software for what it does but performance on mac sucks compared to windows. I have used it both on macbook pro and a dell 4 year old laptop and dell blows MBP out of the window in sigil's performance. FYI I am running sigil on unibody MBP running Snow Leopard. If anyone knows any tip to run it faster please share.

I was editing an epub I created out of my personal scanned books.

thanks
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #39
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Page Up - Page Down

A major step foward. Good work!

The Page Up and Page down keys still don't work in the text editor/browser. Pickey, pickey, pickey.

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #40
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
is it me or sigil now feels even more slower than the previous version. Everytime I click a delete it takes atleast 7-10 secs to actually do some action. It's an amazing software for what it does but performance on mac sucks compared to windows. I have used it both on macbook pro and a dell 4 year old laptop and dell blows MBP out of the window in sigil's performance. FYI I am running sigil on unibody MBP running Snow Leopard. If anyone knows any tip to run it faster please share.
Performance should be better compared to the previous release. But you're saying it's fast on Windows and slow on Mac OS X? Hm... weird.

Then again, I don't have a Mac to test/develop on. I develop on Win7 x64 with a Ubuntu box nearby. To build the Mac version I have to bug a friend to lend me his MacBook for an hour.

But what do you exactly mean by "delete"? Backspace/delete a character in Book View or Code View or are you referring to deleting whole passages? And have you tested it on the same book, the same text to delete and in the same place in the book on both OS's?

You'll need to provide more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
The Page Up and Page down keys still don't work in the text editor/browser. Pickey, pickey, pickey.
I haven't gotten around to it yet. Sorry. Here, I'm marking it for 0.1.6.

It really is a rather simple and obvious thing to have, and it should have been added sooner.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
Valloric

Quote:

It really is a rather simple and obvious thing to have, and it should have been added sooner.
And now it's implemented.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #42
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Quote:
Performance should be better compared to the previous release. But you're saying it's fast on Windows and slow on Mac OS X? Hm... weird.

Then again, I don't have a Mac to test/develop on. I develop on Win7 x64 with a Ubuntu box nearby. To build the Mac version I have to bug a friend to lend me his MacBook for an hour.

But what do you exactly mean by "delete"? Backspace/delete a character in Book View or Code View or are you referring to deleting whole passages? And have you tested it on the same book, the same text to delete and in the same place in the book on both OS's?

You'll need to provide more information.

Hey Valloric thanks for the reply. By delete I mean backspace. What I am trying to do is the book which I scanned is converted to HTML by the OCR software. I import this file in Sigil and then do some proofreading and some minor editing. Sometimes if paragraph is split while OCRing the jpeg I just type backspace / delete key to join them back in sigil. This use to take sometime in version 0.14 on mac. On windows XP it was way faster. On version 0.15 on mac it is very very slow. 5-7 secs is minimum and sometimes it is even slow. Moreover It looks most of the actions are slower in this version. When I try to open the TOC window earlier it use to be realtime and now it takes 3-4 sec.

Let me know if this helps.

cheers.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #43
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
On version 0.15 on mac it is very very slow. 5-7 secs is minimum and sometimes it is even slow. Moreover It looks most of the actions are slower in this version. When I try to open the TOC window earlier it use to be realtime and now it takes 3-4 sec.
Well I'm going to have to get a hold of a Mac to test this out on.

Open question: have any other Mac users experienced a similar slowdown going from 0.1.4 to 0.1.5?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Slowness on Mac's

Hi,

I am a Mac user.

Yes, I am seeing the same thing. I have only used 0.1.4 until yesterday and 0.1.5 "seemed" slower (of course both versions with the same full size book in it) but I have not used a watch to time anything

A few other things, I found:

- searching (only in 0.1.5) seemed to bring it to its knees when in the book view.

- searching in the code view was quite fast and painless. In fact code view itself is quite fast.

- Anytime I close the ToC editor, I seem to wait and watch the ball spinning for quite some time.

- simple book view window operations (growing, shrinking, etc) are so slow that resizing the window at all is problematic when you have a full size book loaded.

Of course, most of this was true with 0.1.4 when loaded with a full sized book, but it does seem slower.

I have taken to working in code view only, and when I want to see what it looks like, I save it as an sgf, unzip the sgf and load the html file in Safari which allows me to resize, scroll, etc quite quickly (but of course all editing then has to be done in code view - which kind of defeats the purpose).
Again, all of this is only when a full size book is there (say 200,000 - 300,000 words or more).

I have never used Sigil on any other platform, so I can't tell if this is normal or not. If not, this may be an issue with the widget kit used on a Mac.

My input for what it is worth.

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #45
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

I am a Mac user.

Yes, I am seeing the same thing.
First of all, thanks Kevin for your input. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
- searching (only in 0.1.5) seemed to bring it to its knees when in the book view.
Unfortunately, searching in Book View is slower. Mostly because I have to use javascript to make this work... and I have to parse in the whole doc to a separate DOM implementation to work around Webkit's bugs and inconsistencies, and to enable interoperation between C++ code and JS.

Qt 4.6 will bring a new QWebElement API to their Webkit integration, and that will enable direct manipulation of the internal DOM. The Book View search back-end will be rewritten when this hits.

But even now, it shouldn't bring it to its knees. Currently, on a fairly large book, the Book View search lag time for a very rare term is 10ms. This is on Win7 x64, on a 4 years old system. Why is it taking so long on Macs, I don't know... but I'll have to find out.

Quote:
- Anytime I close the ToC editor, I seem to wait and watch the ball spinning for quite some time.
TOC editor updates the whole document, which makes Webkit reload the whole flow. One more thing that will be remedied with 0.2.0, when the flows will be much smaller (and so will the reload lag).

Then again, there has to be a way to make TOC edits update only the required portions... and there is. I'll rewrite the TOC updating when QWebElement arrives. This issue should then go away for all platforms.

But on Windows, current TOC updating takes about a few seconds. Too long, but it should still be somewhat tolerable. I don't know how it behaves on Macs.

Quote:
- simple book view window operations (growing, shrinking, etc) are so slow that resizing the window at all is problematic when you have a full size book loaded.
This is universally slow on all platforms. It's Webkit trying to reflow the whole book while you are resizing it. I've been trying to force it to delay this reflow until the resize operation is complete, but with little luck because I'm trying to maintain compatibility with vanilla Qt, and this means not rewriting core components.

I've become pissed off enough to decide to finally split from vanilla Qt upon their next release. I have enough bugs of my own without having to bear theirs.

Quote:
Of course, most of this was true with 0.1.4 when loaded with a full sized book, but it does seem slower.
I have no idea why this is happening on Macs. Performance should be better with 0.1.5., and on Windows and Linux it is. And that's not a subjective opinion, it's backed up by two different code profilers. Admittedly, I haven't tested it on Macs, for already mentioned reasons.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Quote:
I have taken to working in code view only, and when I want to see what it looks like, I save it as an sgf, unzip the sgf and load the html file in Safari which allows me to resize, scroll, etc quite quickly (but of course all editing then has to be done in code view - which kind of defeats the purpose).
Aaaaah... this is horrible. I can't suggest anything but to wait until I sort this out. That may take some time... sadly.