Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
jackcheng
Writer and Designer
jackcheng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Getting "Before you go" screen to appear before end of book on Paperwhite

I've noticed that for some books in the Kindle Store (the specific one I'm looking at is George Saunders' Tenth of December), the "Before you go..." sharing/rating screen shows up twice:

1. At the end of the book, as expected
2. As a modal window on the first page after the body matter (for instance the Acknowledgments page)

I'm trying to get this to happen for my own book on the Kindle store but there's nothing about it in the KF8 documentation. I emailed KDP support and they told me it was added automatically and it was not possible to have it appear more than once. Except it clearly is possible!

I tried adding a "backmatter" epub type to my toc.xhtml:

Code:

<nav epub:type="landmarks">
    <h1>Guide</h1>
    <ol>
      <li><a epub:type="bodymatter" href="dedication.xhtml">Start</a></li>
      <li><a epub:type="backmatter" href="acknowledgments.xhtml">Acknowledgments</a></li>
    </ol>
 </nav>
No luck. Has anyone else encountered and solved this?
jackcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcheng View Post
I've noticed that for some books in the Kindle Store (the specific one I'm looking at is George Saunders' Tenth of December), the "Before you go..." sharing/rating screen shows up twice:

1. At the end of the book, as expected
2. As a modal window on the first page after the body matter (for instance the Acknowledgments page)

I'm trying to get this to happen for my own book on the Kindle store but there's nothing about it in the KF8 documentation. I emailed KDP support and they told me it was added automatically and it was not possible to have it appear more than once. Except it clearly is possible!

I tried adding a "backmatter" epub type to my toc.xhtml:

No luck. Has anyone else encountered and solved this?
Amazon attaches the BYG as it will, according to its own criteria. Having a properly-made book will help you not get disqualified from having it attached--but you cannot force the issue, I'm sorry to say. And yes, I have this directly from Amazon. Not their CSR's--the higher-ups. It does not appear in every book, and nothing you can do can force it to appear in yours.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
before you go, paperwhite