Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
If I don't read the WP for free. . .

I don't see how them charging money at this point will change my life any. The quality and reliability of modern journalism is abysmally low.

As near as I can tell, journalists are, for the most part, lazy and incompetent. They've ALL become shills for whatever political or commercial agenda that pays their bills.

I've heard the term, 'the fog of war' before, but there is also a phenomena that should be called 'the fog of truth'. That occurs when the hacks on all sided of an issue start pumping out huge quantities of 'facts' impossible for a reader or news consumer to independently validate. This reduces us to accepting those 'facts' that 'feel' right to us.

A similar problem I've noticed, is the HUGE number of junk tidbits of 'news' reported in a story that later prove to be fiction.

I point to the story of that tragic school shooting in Connecticut.

The wrong man is identified. The man's mother is a teacher at the school, the mother was the teacher of the class that was killed. The mother had no connection to the school, the mother was a substitute teacher. The man was buzzed in to the school, the man shot his way into the school. There was a related murder of the man's father in New Jersey, no, we don't know who was killed in NJ, The father is alive, the brother is dead, no, he is alive. the man's girlfriend is missing, no, SHE is alive, no SHE doesn't exist. (Damn, there goes the sex angle). (Who's dead in NJ now?) Well he dated a girl once or twice, but not enough to call her a girlfriend (DAMN! we lost the sex angle a second time!) The mother owned the assault weapons. No she didn't, and they weren't assault weapons. But the mom was REAL strict, not really, she didn't know how to handle a son with emotional problems. Well the family was all messed up, no they weren't, well, maybe a little, we don't know.

And that's the point. We don't really know any more than we did 2 days ago. The news media just plain sucks.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I still pay for my local paper, but there are just too many sources online to pay for news content. The only items that distinguish one paper's material from another for me are the columnists, and most of the good ones that I like pop up either on Google News or in syndication in my local paper. In any case, Paul Krugman isn't enough to make me pay for the NYT content.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I like the old journalism. The facts please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I generally check out RCP and sometimes get a lead into the Journal.
Something doesn't add up here. If you really want facts-please journalism, you should love the news section of the Washington Post, and despise the mostly opinion realclearpolitics.com AKA RCP. And if you, for whatever reason, thought the Washington Post is not factual enough, I would think the direction to go would be USA Today, not RCP.

I recommend the New York Times Latest News Blog for the Kindle at US$1.99 a month. All front page stories seem included in full, with a smattering of the rest of the paper that changes every hour or so. Sometimes they will throw in an opinionated restaurant review (which I could live without), but I've never seen anything from the editorial or op-ed page.

What year and country were you thinking of when you associated "old journalism" with "facts please?"

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Something doesn't add up here. If you really want facts-please journalism, you should love the news section of the Washington Post, and despise the mostly opinion realclearpolitics.com AKA RCP. And if you, for whatever reason, thought the Washington Post is not factual enough, I would think the direction to go would be USA Today, not RCP.

I recommend the New York Times Latest News Blog for the Kindle at US$1.99 a month. All front page stories seem included in full, with a smattering of the rest of the paper that changes every hour or so. Sometimes they will throw in an opinionated restaurant review (which I could live without), but I've never seen anything from the editorial or op-ed page.

What year and country were you thinking of when you associated "old journalism" with "facts please?"
I believe I was clear. You are just tuned to hear certain things and your statement about RCP shows it. RCP has both sides. It will have one article like "Why conservatives are winning..." and then the next "Why conservatives are losing..." It references liberal sources as much as conservative ones.
Take off those tinted glasses and get some clear ones. I can't find a good unbiased source so I look at both sides and do a mental balance. RCP helps with that.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
I still pay for my local paper, but there are just too many sources online to pay for news content. The only items that distinguish one paper's material from another for me are the columnists, and most of the good ones that I like pop up either on Google News or in syndication in my local paper. In any case, Paul Krugman isn't enough to make me pay for the NYT content.
Paul Krugman ought to go to Comedy Central. I will pay not to hear him.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I believe I was clear. You are just tuned to hear certain things and your statement about RCP shows it. RCP has both sides. It will have one article like "Why conservatives are winning..." and then the next "Why conservatives are losing..." It references liberal sources as much as conservative ones.
But still opinion-based reporting, not fact-based reporting, which is what you said you preferred.
Having two different opinions, or not being biased, isn't the same as having facts.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Well let me get back into the carrying on also.

I just read a new article that was addressing a second article that said the NYT was doing like the FT with the pay-wall. The new article said that wasn't so. It said the NYT had by design a porous pay-wall, while the FT like the WSJ would allow you to see certain articles and then it would clamp down, though it wasn't as strict as the WSJ.

All subscribed or allowed for the Google 1 look plan where you could slip any one of the papers briefly.

Anyway, now the WP is making me sign in on my old FREE account login in and there is a rumor that they have to also put up a pay-wall. The NYT is keeping track of me by cookies, but not by IP.

For those not so conversant with the abbreviations
NYT New York Times
WP Washington Post
FT Financial Times
WSJ Wall Street Journal.
IHT International Herald Tribune - subsidiary of NYT
IP Internet Protocol

I think also that IHT is going to pay-wall too, but not so sure.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't see how them charging money at this point will change my life any. The quality and reliability of modern journalism is abysmally low.
Agreed. The news media is just awful in my opinion.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
ucfgrad93

I think that people with reasonably open minds will agree with that. If you want to see basically 1 side alone, you can easily find media on that particular side that will satisfy you. It will tell you what you want to hear.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote