Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #2806
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
is there an instruction set for issuing private commands from the Kindle for usbNet? I have a kindle 2 and I need to set the password and get it back into mass storage mode so that I can rename that blank auto file but don't know how to do it. Shouldn't the instruction set be referenced somewhere near the front of the thread, or documented as part of the package?
you would have access to all files from the elevated permissions mode.

it would be stored as /mnt/us/your-FAT-files-are-here-mate -
this is the root location of your userstore.

one could simply rename it from there assuming you are indeed logged in via SSH usb0.

I politely suggest you read around the issue a little more. The tools work fine.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #2807
poruchik
poruchik began at the beginning.

Device: K3w v.3.4
I have installed usbNetwork (0.46.N) hack, configured it, saved keys-pair without passphrase via puttygen to /usbnetwork/authorized_keys by ctrl+c, ctrl+v via notepad++ without word wrap. After starting usbNetwork, I tried to get access to K3 (wi-fi FW v.3.4) via ssh/sftp (putty/winscp) and kindle is want the password from me. What I'm doing wrong?
I tried to save another keys-pair with passphrase, but passwords did not match, when I tried to ssh/sftp to K3...

P.S. /usbnet/etc/config
HOST_IP=192.168.1.2
KINDLE_IP=192.168.1.5
K3_WIFI="true"
K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true"
USE_OPENSSH="false"
USE_VOLUMD="false"

Last edited by poruchik; 11-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.
poruchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #2808
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by poruchik View Post
I have installed usbNetwork (0.46.N) hack, configured it, saved keys-pair without passphrase via puttygen to /usbnetwork/authorized_keys by ctrl+c, ctrl+v via notepad++ without word wrap. After starting usbNetwork, I tried to get access to K3 (wi-fi FW v.3.4) via ssh/sftp (putty/winscp) and kindle is want the password from me. What I'm doing wrong?
I tried to save another keys-pair with passphrase, but passwords did not match, when I tried to ssh/sftp to K3...
Public key goes on the remote device, key-pair stays on the local device.
Wouldn't be much security if you had to copy the private key to the remote device, now would it?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #2809
poruchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Public key goes on the remote device, key-pair stays on the local device.
Wouldn't be much security if you had to copy the private key to the remote device, now would it?
Yeah, done already: authorized_keys (public key - on K3, private (key-pair) - on PC).
But, still want password, that didn't created.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #2810
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
you would have access to all files from the elevated permissions mode.

it would be stored as /mnt/us/your-FAT-files-are-here-mate -
this is the root location of your userstore.

one could simply rename it from there assuming you are indeed logged in via SSH usb0.

I politely suggest you read around the issue a little more. The tools work fine.
I wasn't clear about what "debug mode" was, until I watched a video. I thought the instruction set was something that came from Jailbreak or usbNet, but typing `help cleared that up. I had to assume that the command `usbQa was the one to shut off usbNet. Thanks for the advice. Always good to know there's more than one way to do something if I even get stuck. I used to play around with an early version of Redhat (4.0 I think) so have had some experience with the directory structure, but it's been a long time. Couldn't even remember how to delete or rename a file. :-)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #2811
Kindlin'_Man
Mobile Elevation
Kindlin'_Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde3GB
Hi NiLuJe,

I managed to jailbreak and do the ss mod on my Kindle3GB (Version 3.4) many thanks for all your work and support.
Kindlin'_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #2812
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@poruchik: Wrong target folder. Put it in usbnet/etc/, not usbnet.

Note that if your private key has a passphrase set (which it really should, but I digress), consider using an SSH agent, instead of typing your key's password every time .

@freewheeling: Don't use usbQa. ever. The usbnetwork private command is a toggle.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #2813
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Tanga:

1. You don't need to uninstall it to update it.
2. And even if you did, the latest version's uninstaller handles every previous versions.
3. Don't reboot with a custom update package on the root of your Kindle, always use the 'Update Your Kindle' link in the Settings menu.
I'll keep trying, but with my Kindle freezing every second (if I can get it started up at all) I don't like my chances. Any tips on why USBNetwork makes it do this? Is it because I'm plugging it into a Windows computer? I need to put the file onto the Kindle, and then I unplug (or stop it manually - it does it for both) and it freezes - which means I can't get to the menu to restart it. It crashes when (or before - not sure) I press Shift Shift I (I have launchpad installed) too.

Last edited by Tanga; 11-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #2814
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Tanga: Yes: it's not USBNetwork. It doesn't 'do' much, and nothing that would ever cause a hard-lockup (on its own).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #2815
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Corrupt userstore maybe? Sounds like what happened with mine...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #2816
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Corrupt userstore maybe? Sounds like what happened with mine...
and I
(looks balefully at returns box)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #2817
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the quick reply guys.

NiLuJe - only change I've made recently has been to add USBNetworking. I haven't used it yet, just installed it on the Kindle. I was hoping an uninstall us USBNetworking would 'fix' it - I'm guessing that's not the case?

I just did a search on 'corrupt userstore' and this thread is the only thing that came up. Any tips on what to do? My Kindle isn't restarting at all now (stuck on the USB Drive Mode screen).

Phew - got it connected to my computer, so I'm copying all the files in my 'documents' folder over (I think the computer they were on is gone now)... Now what do I do about this corrupt userstore?

Last edited by Tanga; 11-18-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #2818
poruchik

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@poruchik: Wrong target folder. Put it in usbnet/etc/, not usbnet.

Note that if your private key has a passphrase set (which it really should, but I digress), consider using an SSH agent, instead of typing your key's password every time .

@freewheeling: Don't use usbQa. ever. The usbnetwork private command is a toggle.
@NiLuJe
You're the best!!! It was soooo easy and sooo stupid from my side
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2819
EricOwens
EricOwens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I installed the screensaver hack for my Kindle 3 Keyboard and didn't like it so I ran the uninstall file and deleted the linkss folder.

Now my kindle's screen is blank when I turn it off, how can I restore to the default screensavers?

Greetings
EricOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #2820
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Did you delete the linkss folder first? the stock screensavers are backed up there IIRC.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet