Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #14356
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
This week I read Carmilla (very interesting given all the vampire books I've read in the last year), Graverobbers Wanted, and True Detective by Max Allan Collins. I went on a KDD binge a few weeks ago and now have 11 in the Heller series on my TBR list. I spent a lot of time on Wikipedia learning about gangsters and Chicago in the early 30's while reading it. Nate Heller is complex and more ethically ambiguous than, say, Philip Marlowe or Spenser. It will be interesting to watch him develop over the series.

Today I started Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese. What a lot of fun! Highly recommended if you crave a mood enhancer.

Last edited by BelleZora; 10-11-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #14357
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Finished A Tangled Tale by Lewis Carroll (4/5) and then also read A Game of Logic by Lewis Carroll (3/5). A Tangled Tale is a great, funny book of mathematical logic puzzles. A Game of Logic is a short introduction to logic and syllogisms, somewhat like a very short textbook, even complete with quizzes. It's OK, but I still thought it was good because it explained the concepts well, though I do think I caught a few mistakes he made in the answers section.

And that finally completes all the Lewis Carroll I had on my challenge list for this year!

Now I'm on Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, and I expect to be reading this one awhile after rushing through so many short books. I had read part of it for the book club last year and never finished, so here I am back on it. I decided to start from the beginning again even though I read somewhere from 250-500 pages before (don't know the exact amount because my reader erased my progress).

It's also part of my challenge list for this year, one of the last few left that I'd picked out beforehand for 2012; only two left after it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #14358
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm finally back on the horse again..

I've started my reread of Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J. R. Ward.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #14359
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I just recently read Sakoontala or The Lost Ring by Kalidasa. It was actually quite good, very moving and poetic if one likes very classic literature. The epub that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg was very good as far as no apparent errors in the text, but the formatting was awful. It is a play and hence the dialogue was intended to be in the format of Character: lines spoken, but this was very screwed up in the document. I think I will try and put a revised copy up here in the MR library within the next week.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #14360
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

I've started my reread of Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J. R. Ward.
Yay Nyssa!

I'm in the deciding stage of what am I in the mood for next and just can't decide yet.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #14361
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Yay Nyssa!

I'm in the deciding stage of what am I in the mood for next and just can't decide yet.
Thank you Dreams!

Well, can I intrest you in a series of books that offers warrior vampires vs soulless "lessers", strong females, and steamy nights!?!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #14362
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool warrior vampires vs soulless "lessers", strong females, and steamy nights

Quote:
Thank you Dreams!

Well, can I intrest you in a series of books that offers warrior vampires vs soulless "lessers", strong females, and steamy nights!?!
Hmm... sounds a lot like my neighborhood!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-12-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: fix text
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #14363
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I just finished The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton.

It was interesting.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #14364
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Thank you Dreams!

except for the steamy nights, that sounds like a place I use to work.
*Humm, now that I think about it the steamy nights might fit in there also - according to workplace gossip*

I'm looking for light, fluffy, no thinking required reading for this weekend. I have another Stephanie Bond freebie I just picked up. I may give that a try or even put in a movie. It's one of those changing weather days and I always feel slightly unsettled when the weather goes suddenly from hot to cool/cold.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #14365
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hmm... sounds a lot like my neighborhood!

LOL

I'd be curious to know if you'd like The Black Dagger Brotherhood. I'm not usually one for Romance type novels, but this series seems to go beyond that, although some of the scenes are pretty hot.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #14366
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Now, on to Carmilla to make sure I finish it in time to discuss.
That was a good read, apparently I should pay more attention to the MR book club selections.

Now on to The Wheel of Time book 11, Knife of Dreams, the last one published while Robert Jordan was alive. After this it will be two books left and two months to go before the final* book is published.

*I still (somewhat) hope that the other prequels RJ had planned get published some day. At least if they live up to the quality of the Sanderson books since it seems unlikely he will be writing them at this point.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #14367
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
except for the steamy nights, that sounds like a place I use to work.
*Humm, now that I think about it the steamy nights might fit in there also - according to workplace gossip*

I'm looking for light, fluffy, no thinking required reading for this weekend. I have another Stephanie Bond freebie I just picked up. I may give that a try or even put in a movie. It's one of those changing weather days and I always feel slightly unsettled when the weather goes suddenly from hot to cool/cold.

I know what you mean! Granted cold to me is 60F..but still.

Wishing you a warm and cozy weekend with a good book (or movie) and your favorite beverage!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #14368
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Shannon K. Butcher

Quote:
LOL

I'd be curious to know if you'd like The Black Dagger Brotherhood. I'm not usually one for Romance type novels, but this series seems to go beyond that, although some of the scenes are pretty hot.
If I ever try a 'romance' novel it'll be one of Shannon K. Butcher's 'paranormal romance' novels, after all Jim Butcher taught her to write novels.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #14369
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

For some reason the theme to Rawhide is playing in my head. Giddyup, and keep on riding! Or should that be reading?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #14370
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
For some reason the theme to Rawhide is playing in my head. Giddyup, and keep on riding! Or should that be reading?
Well, the Brotherhood sure does like their leather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
If I ever try a 'romance' novel it'll be one of Shannon K. Butcher's 'paranormal romance' novels, after all Jim Butcher taught her to write novels.
Stop adding authors to my TBR, Alan..I'll be 100 before I get to half of them..