Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
On K4 Pins & Needles!!

Hello all!
Is anyone else on pins & needles waiting for the K4??? There's no leaked images or specs??? This is driving me nuts!!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Since there has been no real advance in eink display this year, I don't expect the k4 to be much of an improvement over my k3.

Unless amazon surprises us and comes out with 7" and/or higher res.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless Amazon adds ePub support, I see nothing all that new unless Amazon goes touch and removes the keyboard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm curious as to what it will be. However, I just got my K3 in June so I doubt I'll be getting the next version.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...I see nothing all that new unless Amazon goes touch and removes the keyboard.
That's what I'm waiting for - a smaller Kindle with a touch screen.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I'm tempted to get the Kindle 3, but the Kindle 4 should be available within a few weeks / months...If it's only a "touch" version of the Kindle 3, I could stay with the Kindle 3, but if it get's a higher resolution screen and / or faster refresh rate for example, now that would be interesting.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
the Kindle 4 should be available within a few weeks / months
I don't see this, likely to be post-Christmas at least as there has been no information to date.

I think the next launch is likely to actually be a Android tablet rather than a dedicated e-reader.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My recommendation is to look at the recent advances in PC chips for clues as to what the new model will be like. The new processors have a lot lower power requirements then the older chips do, thus your new Kindle 4 will have a longer life battery then the 3 does. New chips have better resolution then the older chips do, thus your 4 will have better screen resolution then the 3. What the new chips do not tell you about is what Amazon does in firmware so I would assume nothing in that department so that you do not get disapointed. So I would recommend that you look for longer battery life and better screen resolution then what you have now.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I will get a tablet next. My K3 is good enough for me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless Amazon adds ePub support, I see nothing all that new unless Amazon goes touch and removes the keyboard.
I also used to rant and rave over the lack of epub, but then I bought a Kindle and quickly got over it. After 4 days of Calibre conversion I was sold and I have no interest in any sort of touch screen. The contrast is lower and I don't care for the lack of precision with the key board.

The current info says they will have two versions of Kindle, one with a touch screen and some sort of tablet, possibly with 2 sizes of screen.

Maybe you should actually get a Kindle? You might get over this epub obsession.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Maybe you should actually get a Kindle? You might get over this epub obsession.
What and take two steps backwards? No thanks. Mobipocket is obsolete and until Amazon realizes this, they are just cheating their customers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am in the market for a tablet. I suspect that the K4 will be have a touch screen but I don't expect anything overly exciting.

For the record, I tend to ignore JSWolf's post on this board. They rarely contain new information and tend to be pretty repetative and boring.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
...and I have no interest in any sort of touch screen. The contrast is lower and I don't care for the lack of precision with the key board.
Agreed. I couldn't care less for a touchscreen kindle.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would settle for a K4 that had the following improvements as opposed to a new touch screen. I too am not that excited over touch screens--tried several and wasn't impressed.

Hardware Improvements that would be nice
  • A much faster processor
  • A better trackpad and keyboard

Firmware Improvements that would be nice
  • Ability to sideload fonts
  • Better built-in book management
  • Way more on-device formatting ability
  • ePub support (doubt this will ever happen)

As far as tablets go, until they come up with affordable large displays that have 300 dpi resolution, reading text will be a pain. I love my iPad, but not for reading. The NookColor was better, but still not nearly as good as the Retina displays on the iPhone/iPt4 or on some of the Android phones. (My Motorola Atrix 4G has a screen on par with Apple's Retina display.)

Last edited by jswinden; 08-11-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have no interest in any sort of touch screen. The contrast is lower and I don't care for the lack of precision with the key board.
All the modern readers use infra-red beam touch screens. These have nothing "physical" on top of the display, and have absolutely no impact whatsoever on display clarity. I'm not particularly a fan of touch screens myself, but please let's not spread false information about them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote