Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
TOC & other questions

I've started to use Sigil to clean up some of my ePubs and add TOCs. I have a few simple questions:

1) I have one book where the headline text is designated as "normal" when I look at it in book view but that text is showing up in the TOC. Why is this? I know I can hide it and did, but I'd like to clean it up nonetheless.

2) When I center something in Sigil, it often doesn't show up as centered on my iPod Touch using Stanza. For example, I'll center three asterisks used as a divider in a chapter but they show up flush left. Is this a limitation of the Touch or is there a way to make it show up centered on the Touch?

3) Can I exit a book in Sigil without exiting the program? I couldn't find a "close" option for the current open book. Sometimes I'd like to make minor edits to a few books in a row without having to exit Sigil every time.

4) Can I rename sections in Sigil without negative results? For example, can I rename "Section0002.xhtml" to "Chapter27.xhtml"? Or is it best to leave the names as the program produces them? I have very little knowledge of coding and html so I don't know if renaming things can have bad repercussions down the road in terms of the epub file being able to be read by other devices or converted to other formats.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I've started to use Sigil to clean up some of my ePubs and add TOCs. I have a few simple questions:

3) Can I exit a book in Sigil without exiting the program? I couldn't find a "close" option for the current open book. Sometimes I'd like to make minor edits to a few books in a row without having to exit Sigil every time.

4) Can I rename sections in Sigil without negative results? For example, can I rename "Section0002.xhtml" to "Chapter27.xhtml"? Or is it best to leave the names as the program produces them? I have very little knowledge of coding and html so I don't know if renaming things can have bad repercussions down the road in terms of the epub file being able to be read by other devices or converted to other formats.

--Pat
#3 Select new to clear the old book off the workspace .
When you are ready, select the book you want to edit.

#4 Absolutely (using the Book Browser), same goes for images, Sigil will rename any usage in the EPUB. or TOC
Slick
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
2) When I center something in Sigil, it often doesn't show up as centered on my iPod Touch using Stanza. For example, I'll center three asterisks used as a divider in a chapter but they show up flush left. Is this a limitation of the Touch or is there a way to make it show up centered on the Touch?
It's a limitation of Stanza, not the Ipod Touch.
My solution is to use <hr width="35%"> as a divider, this will be centered.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A better solution is to do away with Stanza and use the newly updated txtr app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A better solution is to do away with Stanza and use the newly updated txtr app.
Sorry, but a software that does not explain how to upload your own books and even wants money for books which are free everywhere else (like Jules Verne or Art of War) does not really expect me testing it...
I can't see how the software looks since I don't have any books for it, and the possible settings without a book (font size and night mode) don't let me think that txtr comes even close to Stanza.

Deleted...
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread WS64 ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

theducks, thanks for the answers to questions 3 and 4. Worked perfectly.

===============

WS64, I didn't understand your answer -- "My solution is to use <hr width="35%"> as a divider, this will be centered."

Exactly where do you put this code? And what shows up as the divider??

===============

JSWolf, I looked into txtr but it appears you need to upload your books to their website in order to read them??? No thanks.

Also, I agree with WS64 that Stanza is far superior if txtr won't even let you adjust type size and other things.

I love Stanza and find it's flexible options the best of any reader I've seen so far. It lets you read a book any way you like it.

--Pat
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
WS64

Pat, I guess you use something like
<p style="text-align:center">* * *</p>
Instead of that use
<hr width="35%">
hr shows a centered, horizontal line, inthis case over 35% of the screen.
(Actually you should put the style content in the header of the file, else the epub validator will not be satisfied, although it works that way too)
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Instead of that use
<hr width="35%">
(Actually you should put the style content in the header of the file, else the epub validator will not be satisfied, although it works that way too)
No, I don't use any coding at all. I am using the wysiwyg editor (book view). I try to stay away from the coding as I fear breaking things since I know very little about it.

I simply center the line by clicking on the appropriate top menu icon. It's not a biggie that Stanza won't show it right. It's only the headlines and some section breaks. And they appear accurately in other readers like Calibre's built-in one.

I wonder why Stanza doesn't show it right. In all other respects, Stanza is a fantastic app.

Edit: OK, I just tried sticking that bit of code in the split view. Works great. Thanks, WS64.

Last edited by PatNY; 08-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY
wonder why Stanza doesn't show it right. In all other respects, Stanza is a fantastic app.
AFAIK, Stanza ignores the .css file and displays the content according to the parameters you (or the user) set for the application itself. I don't know definitively whether that extends to style settings within the xhtml code, but I would assume so.

So, basically, code your file as best you can, and don't worry about non-standard e-book readers like Stanza. It will do the best it can, but you don't have much control over that.

If ADE, Calibre reader, FBreader, and -- should we add -- Apple iBook display the data as desired, call it good.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
FBReader ignores CSS too.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
AFAIK, Stanza ignores the .css file and displays the content according to the parameters you (or the user) set for the application itself.

No, Stanza does not ignore all.
It reads the CSS file and uses some of the tags, but not all.
But the CENTER one is in my opinion the most important one that it does not use (at least not at the Iphone app). And even there this restriction does not apply for the header (h1-h5) where the CENTER command is not ignored.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Instead of that use
<hr width="35%">
FYI: You actually cannot use inline style tags in epubs. (Inline means using style="blahblahblah" inside of other tags.) I don't know why, maybe to decrease the amount of processing the readers have to do?...
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiel View Post
FYI: You actually cannot use inline style tags in epubs. (Inline means using style="blahblahblah" inside of other tags.) I don't know why, maybe to decrease the amount of processing the readers have to do?...
If you use the "sigil" provided "Center (selected) text" button, Sigil makes a "sgc.. center" style entry in the document.
The other way is to make a class in the stylesheet with :
Code:
text-align: center
in it, and use that class in a span or p tag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
Quote:
If you use the "sigil" provided "Center (selected) text" button, Sigil makes a "sgc.. center" style entry in the document.
The other way is to make a class in the stylesheet
Right! That's why when you do inline styles, sigil moves them up into the head of the document. I was just letting ws64 know that his example isn't valid... not to be a smarty pants: I just don't want someone reading that and thinking they can do styles that way, then wonder why they don't work.
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote