Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Calibre News on Kindle DX TOC problem

Hi everyone, I posted this issue on the Kindle forum, which I should not have I guess, since it is more of a Calibre question.

Anyways, the problem is, I get to fetch the news on Calibre, and when I open it on my computer with Mobipocket or the Calibre built in reader it shows a table of contents. However when I transfer it to my Kindle DX, I can't find the TOC, I can click on the bottom of the screen where it says "sections" but I want to be able to see the articles on the same page and then pick one, just like when you click on "Contents" while on Mobipocket on the computer or on Calibre.

Hope I explained it correctly, but I think you understand what I mean.

I am also new to Kindle, and I can;t find an answer anywhere else. I have tried.

Well, thank you for your help, hopefully somebody can share their ideas and solution.
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
Anyways, the problem is, I get to fetch the news on Calibre, and when I open it on my computer with Mobipocket or the Calibre built in reader it shows a table of contents. However when I transfer it to my Kindle DX, I can't find the TOC, I can click on the bottom of the screen where it says "sections" but I want to be able to see the articles on the same page and then pick one, just like when you click on "Contents" while on Mobipocket on the computer or on Calibre.
I don't have a Kindle but the user guide says,

Quote:
You can get to the table of contents by pressing the Menu button from any page. Move the 5-way down until you underline “Table of Contents” and press the 5-way to go to it.
I hope this helps.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Hi! Thanks for your reply and help.

The thing is that I tried that already, and it does work with other .mobi files other than the news fetched from Calibre.

The option on the menu is not even there when I am reading news from calibre.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi! Thanks for your reply and help.

The thing is that I tried that already, and it does work with other .mobi files other than the news fetched from Calibre.

The option on the menu is not even there when I am reading news from calibre.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong!
I notice you list a Sony ereader too, do you download the news directly as a mobi file or as a epub that you convert to mobi?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I notice you list a Sony ereader too, do you download the news directly as a mobi file or as a epub that you convert to mobi?
I changed it to mobi instead. The epub file seems to work well on the Sony. So nope, no conversion involved.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
wayamauro
Connoisseur

When I click on menu, it says :

Turn Wireless On
Shop in Kindle Store
Search This Issue
Clip This Article
Sync to Furthest Page Read (non highlighted)
Add a Note or Highlight
View My Notes & Marks
Keep This Issue

That's it! then at the bottom it says "View Section List", which takes you to the Section, you can see the news organized by type, such as "Local"(34). It tells you the type and how many news are there, but I can not go to the TOC just like I can while on Mobipocket or Calibre... it is getting very frustrating.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
When I click on menu, it says :

Turn Wireless On
Shop in Kindle Store
Search This Issue
Clip This Article
Sync to Furthest Page Read (non highlighted)
Add a Note or Highlight
View My Notes & Marks
Keep This Issue
So you open the book (news) in your Kindle and you click on menu and the above is the menu you see? I'm hoping you see a different menu once you open the book.

If you don't see a different menu then hopefully a Kindle user will stop by to help you out.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-08-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
So you open the book (news) in your Kindle and you click on menu and the above is the menu you see? I'm hoping you see a different menu once you open the book.

If you don't see a different menu then hopefully a Kindle user will stop by to help you out.

That's right, that's all I see on the menu. Then when I open a different book, not news from Calibre though, it does show a TOC by clicking "Menu" then "Go To" and I click on "Table of Contents".

What really makes me wonder is the fact that I can access the TOC through Mobipocket or Calibre, and I can't on the Kindle. But I can with other mobi files other than news from Calibre.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
update to 0.7.22
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
update to 0.7.22
Hi Kovid. It is the 0.7.22 version. I tried previous version with the same results
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know the Kindle doesn't allow you to see a Table of Contents in periodicals you have to use the sections based navigation
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As far as I know the Kindle doesn't allow you to see a Table of Contents in periodicals you have to use the sections based navigation
Thanks Kovid. That's too bad. I was able to download the RSS news from a different source in HTML, then convert them to mobi through Calibre and it shows a TOC. Of course there is no "Section" navigation with this method.
The problem I see with the Kindle not allowing TOC in periodicals is that I can't see which article i want to read, which results in clicks and clicks all the time trying to find an article.. that I may like and pick.

Thank you for your help and the development of this great software.

If you are positive that the Kindle does not allow TOC in periodicals, it is certainly bad. Maybe somebody will prove us wrong...I hope.

Update: Silly me, when you click on "Section" you can go to "view articles" column with the 5 way, then it will list the articles. Next time I will read the instructions better. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by wayamauro; 10-08-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Tags
calibre news toc