Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Getting rid of MsoNormal

Hello

I am working on a book in Sigil. Converted it from Word to html (Save as Web page, filtered). Still I have tons of <p class="MsoNormal"> tags lying around.

Should I leave them or remove them?

And can I remove them next time even before importing to Sigil?
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You should definitively clean it up. Search the forum, there are several topics about this.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Look in the CSS and see what MsoNormal is. Clean that up. Then you'll know if you can remove it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
MsoNormal is Word's normal or standard paragraph. You can leave them there if you want, but I like to clean them up to work with my stylesheet. You can do a simple search and replace.
Search for <p class="MsoNormal"> and replace it with <p>.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
MsoNormal is Word's normal or standard paragraph. You can leave them there if you want, but I like to clean them up to work with my stylesheet. You can do a simple search and replace.
Search for <p class="MsoNormal"> and replace it with <p>.
Bob
You also then have to set the p style in the CSS to be what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Look in the CSS and see what MsoNormal is. Clean that up. Then you'll know if you can remove it.
There is no MsoNormal in the CSS. It just got into the code itself...

Thanks folks. I will try your suggestions.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
MsoNormal should be somewhere other than in the text, if it referred to in the text. Do a search for it and see if it at the top of every chapter, instead of the stylesheet.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is one issue with saving a Word doc as a filtered web page. It styles everything, and includes all styles in the document, whether they are used or not.
Word doesn't create a css file, it puts the css styles in the head of the document.
In Word I make sure that the styles I want in the final book are set up and used.
When I import the html file into Sigil, the first thing I do is delete everything within the style tags in the head. Then replace <p class="MsoNormal"> with <p>. The style sheet used in Sigil should match the styles in the Word doc. Now that stylesheet will control the styles and text in the file you imported.
Bob
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Crossroad Press
Author, Pulblisher
Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle
Personally I'd either set the styles up in Word to be the way you want them and leave it, or not do HTML pages out of Word...plenty of WYSIWYG HTML editors out there that will do just fine and never add in the offending code to start with.
Crossroad Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
GraciousMe
Zealot

Quote:
Word doesn't create a css file, it puts the css styles in the head of the document.
And, it seems, every time I divide off a separate chapter from the whole, these styles multiply and get into EVERY chapter. :-(

Quote:
When I import the html file into Sigil, the first thing I do is delete everything within the style tags in the head.
I guess this is the head of the ENTIRE document (?).
Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
GraciousMe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroad Press View Post
Personally I'd either set the styles up in Word to be the way you want them and leave it, or not do HTML pages out of Word...plenty of WYSIWYG HTML editors out there that will do just fine and never add in the offending code to start with.

But if you don´t do HTML from Word, what do you start out with then? In what form is your manuscript?

Or you mean one can just copy a word file into a HTML editor? Is that possible?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
But if you don´t do HTML from Word, what do you start out with then? In what form is your manuscript?

Or you mean one can just copy a word file into a HTML editor? Is that possible?
When I want to go from a Word doc to an epub as directly as possible, I open the Word doc with LibreOffice, and export an epub using either Luke Calcinai's writer2epub, or the Writer2xhtml extensions. The results usually need some further tweaking in Sigil, however.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could also try my 'clean' HTML macro for Word. That produces clean code and you can use Styles in Word. You still need to create the stylesheet yourself though. I thought about adding a stylesheet exporter, but since I don't need it and I created the macro for myself...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I can vouch for Toxie's "clean html" macro, works very well for those of you struggling with cleaning Word-->exported to filtered html.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
mncowboy
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
And, it seems, every time I divide off a separate chapter from the whole, these styles multiply and get into EVERY chapter. :-(

I guess this is the head of the ENTIRE document (?).
Do this before you split the document into chapters. Your file will look like:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=unicode">
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 12 (filtered)">
<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
. . . A few hundred lines of styles . . .
-->
</style>
</head>
<body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple>
Delete all the lines between the style tags - including the style tags.
Bob