Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was going to suggest plugging into a USB port directly on the motherboard i.e. the back of the PC, I've found that frequently USB devices don't work quite right unless you use one of those ports.

One of my machines is 64 bit Vista and plugging either the K1 or the K2 into the front port doesn't always work but it worked fine everytime I used on the back of the PC.

That's why when I build a PC I look for a motherboard with 6 USB ports so I can minimize problems.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sometimes the front USB ports aren't true ports, they're only a hub. Sometimes that hub is an unpowered hub and this is probably where folks run into problems with their front ports.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's time to upgrade to Windows XP 32-bit. Then things will actually work.

Windows 7 beta is already better then Vista ever was.
Sigh... you trash Vista... the you say how great Vista.1 is. Win7 IS Vista with some shell/UI enhancements. All the underlying stuff, networking, driver infrastructures is basically the same. The kernel is a bit more componentized though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sigh... you trash Vista... the you say how great Vista.1 is. Win7 IS Vista with some shell/UI enhancements. All the underlying stuff, networking, driver infrastructures is basically the same. The kernel is a bit more componentized though.

BOb
We have my computer which runs Windows XP Pro, My wife's computer that can dual boot between XP Pro and 7 Beta and the laptop that has Vista Home Premium on it.

I never said Windows 7 beta was better then XP. I said it's better then Vista. Being better then Vista is not hard to do at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never said Windows 7 beta was better then XP. I said it's better then Vista. Being better then Vista is not hard to do at all.
So, you are sticking with XP for good? Eventually newer version of apps won't work on it, or won't work as well on it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm an equal opportunity Windows user. I have XP, Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7, and Windows Home Server running on various machines all but one homebuilt. Oh yeah, DH has a Windows CE phone. I'm thinking about moving my personal PC to Vista later in the spring.

I also have a Linux box but I can't run all my apps or find acceptable substitutes so that one's gathering dust at the moment.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm an equal opportunity Windows user. I have XP, Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7, and Windows Home Server running on various machines all but one homebuilt. Oh yeah, DH has a Windows CE phone. I'm thinking about moving my personal PC to Vista later in the spring.

I also have a Linux box but I can't run all my apps or find acceptable substitutes so that one's gathering dust at the moment.
Seriously, don't go to Vista. Wait for the release of Windows 7. All you'll end up doing is paying for Vista and then paying for Windows 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
srice
srice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Just to chime in here (as I have in a couple other threads).

Running vista 64 ... plugging into a slot on my monitor worked.
As described by the OP, using a slot on the front of my computer
caused explorer to hang.
srice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
jaynalee
jaynalee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This is not a 64 bit only issue. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit, and the same thing happens when I connect Kindle through the front USB ports. Explorer hangs until I unplug Kindle.
The back port worked perfectly on the first try.
jaynalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #25
shineyvee
shineyvee began at the beginning.

I'm having the same problem, can't get windows explorer to recognize my kindle 2, when it does, it locks up. I've twice actually gotten to attempt to xfer a book to the k2, both times I was rewarded with an incompatible file I/O error message (kicking myself for not copying it.

My computer is a Sony Vaio, VGN-FW170J running 64 bit Vista. 2 phone calls and a week of email back and forth to kindle support got me this:

I wanted to get back to you with the troubleshooting steps for you to try to get your kindle to be able to connect to your laptop. it seems these are power related issues and you should turn off WAN and fully charge it from the wall outlet before trying these steps:

1. Plug the laptop into the wall why you are trying to connect the kindle to ensure there is enough power.

2. Plugging the Kindle into a powered USB hub

3. Using a USB Y cord to plug the Kindle into two USB ports at the same time to draw enough power

4. Installing an add on USB card into the computer and using the ports on it

If these do not work please contact us back and let us know.

I'll be letting them know unless anyone here has any new advice.
shineyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #26
gertie01
gertie01 began at the beginning.

Kindle 2 and Windows 7 64 bit

I, too, am experiencing issues with plugging my Kindle 2 into my new pc with OS Windows 7 64 bit. I have no problems on my old PC with XP or my laptop with XP, but when I plug into my new pc (USB ports in front and back -- I have 3 on the front and 6 on the back) either my system runs and installs drivers or nothing. Sometimes my Amazon Kindle 2 shows up as a "device" in the device panel and if I click on it the system freezes and I have to disconnect. Sometimes it shows up in Explorer, but if I click on it the system freezes and I have disconnect. Other times if it gets past freezing, I can open the folder, but nothing displays in the folder. For now, I can work around this by accessing the folders on my other pcs, but eventually, I will want to just access my Kindle 2 on my new pc. I have googled and searched, but beyond the plug it into the back and it should work answer...I have found no resolution, either.
gertie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #27
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I think problem is in Windows x64 USB stack and what other LO and HI USB filters (devices) have you installed or at least inserted. It seems USB in x64 is a little bit buggy (I have an Intel X38 chipset with ICHR9 as main machine) and in addition so some other circumstances it fails. I have 5 machines running x86 Vista and 7 and I've never experienced any USB error. However, 2 of the machines have x64 installed in dual boot and sometimes USB fails when running x64 versions.

I've done some tests: Boot x64, insert Kindle, fails to recognize. Restart x86 without unplugging Kindle: it works. Boot x86, insert Kindle, works, reboot x64, fails. For me guilty is x64 Windows.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
I was hoping this would get fixed in the 2.3.3 Kindle update, but nope, still hangs my Vista64. I'll eventually upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, hopefully that'll fix the problem.

Used to work fine on my old PC's front ports using Vista32.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #29
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have had no problems with Windows 7 64bit.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #30
jft
Enthusiast
jft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Had no problems with any 64-bit version of Windows/Linux. To be honest: the Kindle just uses the "USB mass storage device class" protocol, so I can't imagine it is a Windows problem. Maybe try to install the newest mainboard drivers for your board.
jft is offline   Reply With Quote