Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
is it me or is it the Mini?

I just finished playing around with a Kobo Mini, and I am quite impressed - however, I did have a hard time getting the mini to respond to my touch. I have to say that my fingers seems not to be the best at interacting with screens, but this was to the point that I don't think I would enjoy using the Mini as a reader. So my question to owners of the mini is: is it slow at responding? I am trying to figure out whether the problem is with my hands or with the Mini (or perhaps with the display unit, but I guess no amount of usage for the display item would lead it to respond sluggishly, or is this wrong?).
Many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Mine is definitely more stubborn than my Touch. Not so much so that I would ditch it. But yeah.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
Mine is definitely more stubborn than my Touch. Not so much so that I would ditch it. But yeah.
thank you - so in my case there may be a combination of fingers lack of conductivity (or whatever that is that makes touch work) and the Mini itself - for instance, I could not make the link to the web-browser work at all... though I am now wondering whether perhaps there is no web browser, so no point in me tapping on the world icon!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
My Mini responds very well, quick and virtually no double taps required to get where I want to go.
Have you thought about trying it with a stylus? I have a double of my tablet's stylus to use with my Mini (like when I have gloves on or when I'm eating and don't want to yuk up my screen) and it works very well. The tip is also smaller than most fingers making it somewhat easier to hit the right item.
The Kobo readers work with IR (infra-red) not capacitive touch so "conductivity" is not the issue.
It has been said in past threads that the display models are really not always the best for trying out as sometimes the firmware hasn't been updated.

PS. there IS a web browser, it is in "settings"--> Extras but of course it only works when WiFi is connected.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
paola
Wizard

thanks for the tip, I'll see if they let me borrow a stylus!
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
You can't just tap-and-bounce - you have to touch the screen for a noticeable fraction of a second to get it to notice.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I have had similar issues but believe I am the cause. I have a very light touch, also, my other device is an iPad and I have developed the habit of using my fingertips, unless I'm typing.

My Mini works and responds well when I'm more conscious of what I'm doing.

For just reading, page turning, I've never had any problems.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Although I haven't used it that much yet, I don't find my Mini handles differently than my Touch. I will say that when I first got my Touch I thought I had one of the buggy ones as I seemed to have a lot of problems with it. It was me. There does seem to be a bit of a learning curve with it until you learn what takes a short touch and what takes a long touch and until you find the sweet spots; it handles differently from tablets.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Now that I think about it I do realize that my mini requires more of a touch-hold-for-just-a-second than either my Glo or KPW.

I've never had difficulty getting my mini to do what I need - and since the last update it is synching faster / more efficiently.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
paola
Wizard

thank you all - so the display unit not having the latest firmware on might also be an issue (I am pretty sure there was no browser under settings\extra, though of course I may have missed it), as well as training myself on the mini. Will need to play with it a bit more, but surely now I know better what to look for. The form/size factor is a great plus for me, pity for the lack of an SD card!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
You might also try using a swipe instead of a tap for page-turns.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Another point to make for display units, because I do work at a Chapters bookstore and now own a mini myself (Currently three cause two will be going as gifts) is that the display ones work much slower than the ones I own. As for the ones on the table, if they have the ability to lift them up, I'd suggest do that because I find that allows me to demo the device more properly because otherwise even I cannot get them to work properly when lying on the table.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
Another point to make for display units, because I do work at a Chapters bookstore and now own a mini myself (Currently three cause two will be going as gifts) is that the display ones work much slower than the ones I own. As for the ones on the table, if they have the ability to lift them up, I'd suggest do that because I find that allows me to demo the device more properly because otherwise even I cannot get them to work properly when lying on the table.
thanks for this - but I am afraid the units are unmovable! One chap was very nice and took a unit out of the box for me to hold it and check the size, but though eh was very nice, I am afraid that as far as "demoing" goes in the UK I still have to find someone willing to do it. I may have been unlucky of course, but I get the feeling that the approach to selling e-readers in North America is more positive than this side of the pond!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Nice customer service to be able to hold the mini before purchase. I had to buy my mini sight unseen since the Best Buy clerk refused to open the box.. Best I could get was an agrreement that I could return it if I didn't like the mini or if it was defective.

Fortunately, it works flawlessly and I love it.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote