Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
SkookumPete
Enthusiast
SkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle
Blank lines in Gutenberg mobi files

Hi all,

I notice that some of the Kindle files from Project Gutenberg have blank lines between the paragraphs. I've tried getting rid of these with Calibre by converting mobi to mobi, using both methods of stripping extra blank lines (under Look & Feel and under Heuristics), without success. Similarly I tried converting the epub versions to mobi, using the same options, again with no luck.

However, I did finally succeed in stripping the blank lines by converting epub to epub, then converting the fixed epub to mobi.

Is anyone aware of a more direct way of accomplishing this? The sample I was using, by the way, was Joyce's Ulysses.

cheers,
Peter
SkookumPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I generally download the ePub version from either PG or Manybooks and edit the CSS using Sigil to change the line spacing (e.g. "margin-top" and "margin-bottom") and indent ("text-indent") values along with other formatting changes. I then convert to MOBI using Calibre.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
What you want to do is to select the box that say "Remove spacing between paragraphs" under the Look & Feel tab.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
SkookumPete
Enthusiast
SkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavens

Ransom, I'm sorry it wasn't clear from the text of my message that I've tried that method and it doesn't appear to work with the files in question.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Sorry, my fault. You can always download Sigil and take out the blank spaces there.
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
SkookumPete
Enthusiast

I do have the workaround that I mentioned, but thanks for the pointers to Sigil. It just seems odd that Calibre will strip out the blank lines when converting from epub to epub, but not epub to mobi.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Ransom
Banned

I go the other way. That is, I use Sigil to convert html to epub (which still has spaces at this point), and then use Calibre to convert that epub to mobi (stripping out the spaces), and then convert the mobi to epub with Calibre. I end up to an epub and a mobi file that are nearly identicle and without spaces (although I have to actually add an extra space to the original epub file coming out of Sigil before converting to mobi if I want a space in a certain place, like before the start of a new chapter).
Old 06-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #8
SkookumPete
Enthusiast

Ransom, from your description I conclude that the epub files on Gutenberg must code blank lines in a different way than Sigil does, since they aren't stripped out when converting epub->mobi via Calibre.

In any case, it's not a big deal; it's easy enough to do two conversions within Calibre, epub->epub stripping blank lines, then epub->mobi.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
Ransom
Banned

Yeah; I'm new to this stuff too. I'm also mostly converting Gutenberg files for my Kindle, but I'm making epub files too from some books for my website downloads. There's a few hoops to jump through. I've been wondering how the big publishing houses do it. They must have some magic program and a 15 year old to run it. :-) I'm 52 and still learn the hard way.

Best of luck to ya.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Yeah; I'm new to this stuff too. I'm also mostly converting Gutenberg files for my Kindle, but I'm making epub files too from some books for my website downloads. There's a few hoops to jump through. I've been wondering how the big publishing houses do it. They must have some magic program and a 15 year old to run it. :-) I'm 52 and still learn the hard way.

Best of luck to ya.
Blank lines can be coded many ways
Blank lines may be indistinguishable from top-bottom Margins and/or Padding.
Only the code and CSS can tell. (thanks, Shadow )

Code:
<p>Stuff<br /></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p class="withreallybigmargin">More stuff</p>
and a few dozen more (and combinations, so only 1 solution does not work) that I can't remember
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote