Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Goodreader - new version - highlighting, annotation

I didn't see anyone else mention it so I thought I'd start a thread. Goodreader has long been a favorite of lots of users for reading PDFs. Great features for managing, searching and bookmarking and now they have added highlighting and annotating. It's no longer necessary to use another app just to get highlighting and annotating. Goodreader at $0.99 is the most functionality for the money and is one of the best engineered apps that I've seen on the iPad at any price.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Is it actually any better than iAnnotate for iPad?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
badersk
badersk began at the beginning.

I don't thinks so ( I have both), but good reader is cheaper.
badersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Goodreader is much better then iAnnotate.

Besides that Goodreader gets so much new features with every update since months now i really think the forum will get flooded if everybody starts a new thread about a new goodreader feature

But yes the threadstarter is right it is far the best app for a lot of people in the appstore.

Now the new annotations feature is very nice. I gave it a try and you can really read the annotations you add to a pdf for example on your desktop PC in Adobe Reader the same way notes are used in a PDF. Thats so damn nice.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
But what exactly is much better?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

From a simple feature perspective Goodreader includes a crop capability that doesn't seem to be available in iAnnotate. This makes it particularly easy to arrange for viewing a PDF by cropping on the fly. This together with scroll-lock (which both have) is really helpful.

From a subjective point-of-view I find the iAnnotate controls obtrusive and overbearing. I much prefer the controls approach with Goodreader.

I do think that the Preview view in iAnnotate is helpful whereas in Goodreader there is a preview for only a selected PDF in iAnnotate one does see a grid of preview thumbnails.

I also like the tabbed presentation of multiple open PDFs in iAnnotate which is not available as such in Goodreader - although switching between PDFs is pretty much just as easy and current settings and position are recalled for each PDF.

I have not tested the current iAnnotate annotations but I recall that one problem was that they were not readable in Adobe Reader / Acrobat making it sort of a problem to move PDFs between systems with annotations in place.

So I was perhaps engaging in hyperbolé but I would say that I much prefer Goodreader and since the addition of annotations I have no need or interest in continuing to maintain iAnnotate on my iPad.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
After tying both, I'm using GoodReader mostly. It's interface is unobtrusive, and frankly, less "discoverable" -- you'll want to read the manual. But I much prefer it's reading abilities. With the latest, it can save the highlights etc. back to a pdf even an encrypted one which sealed the deal for me.

I do think iAnnotates controls are easer, but more obtrusive. I prefer it's "select a highlighter" and then "color" over what you what highlighted to GoodReaders "press, hold, move the selection bars, choose highlight". but it comes at the cost of having the tools visible. Well, you can toggle them, of course.

Both are good products and I could be happy with either. Good Reader being $1 and iAnnotate being $10 -- there is just no feature to justify the price difference that I know of.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
badersk

I really need the tabbed in iAnnotate view where you can have two documents pulled up at once and switch between them. That being said, good reader gets better with each update and has motivated (IMHO) improvements in iAnnotate
Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by badersk View Post
I really need the tabbed in iAnnotate view where you can have two documents pulled up at once and switch between them. That being said, good reader gets better with each update and has motivated (IMHO) improvements in iAnnotate
I do like that tabbed interface for having multiple pdf's open. Heck, for $10 and $1 -- get both

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
CBR
CBR began at the beginning.

There is always iRead PDF, which is free and retains the tabs from iAnnotate. If I don't need to crop margins then I prefer iRead because of the tabs, continuous scrolling and slightly faster way to change brightness.

But GoodReader certainly improved with the latest update, although I have not checked it out that much.
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
badersk

@ leebase I do use both and wouldn't want to give up either

@ CBR Does iRead have annotations?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
CBR
CBR began at the beginning.

iRead only retains the bottom menu in iAnnotate so can't do that much compared to its big brother.
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote