Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
nook Rooted

Well, the guys over at nookDevs.com have figured out a way to fully access the Android OS (v 1.5 apparently) on the nook.

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting

It involves pulling the installed micro SD card and it looks like you can get full terminal access to the nook's Linux/Android OS/Filesystem.

Let the hacking begin...

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Haha! I was reading about that over at engadget.
Time to see the true potential of the Nook
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
John Shields
John Shields began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Call me the new guy... but what exactly are the benefits of "rooting" and what does it do?
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sorry, should have clarified.

By Rooting, it means that you can gain full access/control of the underlying Android operating system. Performing the documented hack, lets you re-insert the modified internal (not removable unless you significantly disassemble the Nook) Micro SD where the Operating System is stored (as well as the user accessible portion of the file system where the My documents, My screensaver, My wallpaper, My music folders reside). You can then run a Android tool on another computer on your network and access your nook (you have to figure out what IP address your router gave it when it associated to your WiFi router's wireless network) via a command shell. From there you have the full run of the operating system, you can view/modify files, apparently you can run applications on your nook as well as see what applications are running.

Not for the faint of heart. But definitely the keys to the whole OS in terms of hacking it.

Dave
Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Well the OS is on it's own MicroSD card. I wonder if it could be transfered to a 16GB one, thus bumping the total onboard storage to 32GB. Woh, that's a lot just for books.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Having followed the guide -- it's quite a bit trickier to detach the back panel from the board than the guide implies (there're more than just two tabs holding it) and I'd start from the left-top-right-bottom.

Wish I had a dremmel here so I could make a small cut-out to access the System SD-card at any time by just popping the grey cover.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
DaveNB
Connoisseur

Full/Live coverage of ongoing hacking efforts here:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=nookdevs

Gets pretty technical, but interesting stuff. It's amazing what they've already figured out.

Dave
Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
gfhuertac
gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I wonder if we can modify android to add the "print" functionality of the sprint design ebook reader or something else.
gfhuertac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
robbiet480
robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
aw thanks guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfhuertac View Post
I wonder if we can modify android to add the "print" functionality of the sprint design ebook reader or something else.
we hope to add print + 100's of other possibilities that we are talking about now!

Robbie
nookdevs.com
Founder
robbiet480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Well the OS is on it's own MicroSD card. I wonder if it could be transfered to a 16GB one, thus bumping the total onboard storage to 32GB. Woh, that's a lot just for books.
That's the first thing I was thinking when I read that. I've been waffling on the nook, but being able to upgrade it to 32 GB might just tip the scales. I'm thinking that it might be worth it to buy early just in case B&N decides to come out with a cost-reduced version with a soldered in flash device.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote