Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
David, I think you missed the point somehow. There is no mark3 FW 2.6.1b package.
My point was that it didn't matter.The actual code running is the same between the two packages. So, unless Kobo had added or removed something in the file that was specific to one device, it wouldn't matter which package was used. I doubt that Kobo would have release the 2.6.1b package if the change was something like this. I think it would have been to solve a hardware problem in one of the mark4 devices.

In any case, the KoboRoot.tgz from the mark4 package can be used on any of the devices with no problems. For the beta program, Kobo usually supply just the KoboRoot.tgz to be loaded on all devices. I load the same one on both my Glo and my N905 Touch.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #47
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My point was that it didn't matter.The actual code running is the same between the two packages.
I don't want to appear argumentative, but there is only one 2.6.1b package. If there were a fix of the header size for the Touch, owners of a old model would not know, in the same way as they don't enjoy the (partial) fix of the png image handling in epubs. Anak asked at least twice whether 2.6.1b fixes the header size for Touch. But I did not see any owner of a new model touch answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, unless Kobo had added or removed something in the file that was specific to one device, it wouldn't matter which package was used. I doubt that Kobo would have release the 2.6.1b package if the change was something like this. I think it would have been to solve a hardware problem in one of the mark4 devices.
The actual question seems to be why Kobo didn't release the 2.6.1b for mark 3. I think they simply forgot to do it. I therefore posted the minimal changes one has to do in order to upgrade from 2.6.1.to 2.61b here.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #48
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
One interesting codechange from 2.5.1 to 2.6.1

Code:
#2.5.1

[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	qproperty-visible: false;
}topVerticalSpacer* {
}

qproperty-visible: true;
}* {
	font-size: 16px;
	font-family: Avenir;
	margin-top: 7px;
}

#2.6.1

}topVerticalSpacer* {
	margin-top: 7px;
}
I can't figure out how to properly change it, whatever i try causes the kobo to be stuck in a reload loop after patching. probably some non accepted character in my changes.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #49
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take that you would like to change qproperty-visible for Aura from true to false. But I am not really sure, what you want to do.
If it is this, what you want to do, I see two possibilities:
1) You replace "true" by "false". Since "false" has one byte more than "true", you have to remove one byte. You can remove, e.g. the end of line byte (HEX0A) after "false;", or the tab (HEX09) before "qproperty-visible".
2) You change [deviceCodeName="dragon"] to something like [deviceCodeName="Tragon"]. As a result the value false from "* {qproperty-visible: false;}" will be applied to the Aura too.

Before you tar and compress, check that the file size has not changed.

Last edited by tshering; 07-11-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #50
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Yes, it is possible to make changes to font family and size.
So.. No being lazy.. But could you give me a tip what and where to look? I'm using Glo.

And before that - what is the font family used in top and bottom header, in menus, library, synopsis..?

Last edited by mietek81; 07-11-2013 at 07:56 AM.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #51
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
So.. No being lazy.. But could you give me a tip what and where to look? I'm using Glo.

And before that - what is the font family used in top and bottom header, in menus, library, synopsis..?
The fonts used in the GUI are Avenir (sans sefif) and Georgia (serif).

Just search for the code examples in this thread and then mod the specific device code, like deviceCodeName="pixie" for Kobo Mini.

Kobo Mini:
Code Name: pixie
Kobo Touch:
Code Name: trilogy
Kobo Glo:
Code Name: kraken
Kobo AuraHD
Code Name: dragon
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #52
tshering
Wizard

mietek81,

If you want to change the values of individual menu entries, I give you the Library Settings Menu (to be opend with the tools button, right hand of the bottom of the Library screen) as an example:
Search for "LibrarySettingsMenuView". You will find
Code:
LibrarySettingsMenuView * {
	border-bottom: 1px solid black;
}
This is the style block for the header text "LIBRARY SETTINGS".

A little below you find
Code:
viewTypeLbl * {
	margin-right: 30px;
}
This is the style block for the two texts "View:" and "Show:"

And so you go on and on. I copied here the general definitions, since they are always at the beginning. The specific style blocks for Glo are marked by the selector [deviceCodeName="kraken"], as Anak said.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't want to appear argumentative, but there is only one 2.6.1b package. If there were a fix of the header size for the Touch, owners of a old model would not know, in the same way as they don't enjoy the (partial) fix of the png image handling in epubs. Anak asked at least twice whether 2.6.1b fixes the header size for Touch. But I did not see any owner of a new model touch answer this question.

The actual question seems to be why Kobo didn't release the 2.6.1b for mark 3. I think they simply forgot to do it. I therefore posted the minimal changes one has to do in order to upgrade from 2.6.1.to 2.61b here.
I'm not making my point. Forget 2.6.1b. Get any previous mark3 and mark4 firmware package and unzip them. Then unpack the KoboRoot.tgz and compare them. You will find that the differences are some images, fonts and the contents of a USB driver directory. If you put the KoboRoot.tgz from the mark4 package on a mark3 Touch, it works with no problems. And you pick up a couple of extra fonts. The USB drivers would seem to be a worry, but so far it hasn't caused a problem. And, as I said, Kobo generally only supply the KoboRoot.tgz for the beta builds to be used on all the devices.

As to whether the Touch is missing a change to the header size, the examination of the libraries is showing that there is no separate code/settings for the Touch and Glo for the heading, so it didn't change. I didn't see Anak asking if the Touch showed something different with 2.6.1b, and I can't find it now. If I had seen it, I would have told him there was no difference as I did load the KoboRoot.tgz from 2.6.1b onto my N905 Touch. I wanted to see if there were any changes. That doesn't prove the N905C Touch isn't different, but I would be surprised if it was.

Of course, all this might change with the next firmware. We might be back to the 2.5.1 and older heading setup for epubs.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #54
tshering
Wizard

David,
it seems we are talking past each other. I was trying to convey with that libnickel.so.1.0.0 and other files of the most recent update package for mark 3 and the respective files of the most recent update package for mark 4 are different, but that one specific point, namely the Touch's size of the header has not changed. You, at the other hand, are repeating that the KoboRoot.tgz of the mark 3 and 4 upadate packages are generally almost identical. Shall we continue?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@tshering: My original point was that because of the way Kobo release the firmware packages, if they had released a 2.6.1b for the mark3 Touch, the files that are being looked at would have been the same as those in the mark4 2.6.1b package. You had made a statement about not being useful to compare the mark3 and mark4 firmware. I was (clumsily) agreeing with you as I knew the files in question were identical. Or would be if we had both packages for 2.6.1b.

As to the header size, in my original post, I expressed the opinion that the same value was being used for both the Glo and the Touch, and as it is probably in pixels, would be appear as different sizes on the two devices. Thinking about it now, that isn't enough. But, I can't think of a good name to search for the value.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #56
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
1) You replace "true" by "false". Since "false" has one byte more than "true", you have to remove one byte. You can remove, e.g. the end of line byte (HEX0A) after "false;", or the tab (HEX09) before "qproperty-visible".
2) You change [deviceCodeName="dragon"] to something like [deviceCodeName="Tragon"]. As a result the value false from "* {qproperty-visible: false;}" will be applied to the Aura too.

Before you tar and compress, check that the file size has not changed.
So as I uderstand: if I want to change Avenir font to something else I must enter font which name is exactly as long as "Avenir" (6 letters/bytes)? Or maybe shorter names would be ok? And how about sideloaded fonts like popular Charis SIL? Would it be ok to use them?

Or maybe all of that concerns only those logic true/false values?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #57
tshering
Wizard

mietek81,

Inside of embedded html and css code you can change whatever you like, provided the number of bytes remain the same. Easiest way to keep the number of bytes the same is adding or removing unnecessary spaces, line breaks, tabulators. I give you an example of what I did.
Original
Code:
<body style="font-size: 25px; font-family: sans-serif; ">
Replacement
Code:
<body style="font: 28px 'A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N';     ">
I did not yet try side loaded fonts. I am not sure whether every part of the library knows the path to the side loaded fonts. Don't forget to put font names in qoutes, if they contain spaces.

Last edited by tshering; 07-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #58
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just updated to 2.8.1. from 2.5.1. on a old Touch (mark 3).
The top margin is the same as 2.5.1. (a lot smaller then fw 2.5.2 and 2.6.x)

Unfortunately, Kobo seems to have reworked libnickel.so.1.0.0 too.
I couldn't adjust the huge bottom bar. That entry seems to be gone? Or moved to another file.
Keep me posted if you find a solution to mod the bottom bar.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #59
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
sigh two steps forward one step back...

looks like the css entries are now coded

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 07-24-2013 at 05:42 AM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #60
mietek81
Connoisseur

Quote:
I did not yet try side loaded fonts. I am not sure whether every part of the library knows the path to the side loaded fonts.
Yeap, sideloaded fonts are working.

But still I can't find this spot to change font in Synopsis. It must be for sure a sans-serif font, yet changing all "sans-serif" into specific font didn't helped. And I already changed all "Avenir" occurrences into another font. Can anyone try and locate this setting? Or maybe it depends on the way I'm adding synopsis to epub in Calibre? Can I define and use there any font? Is it stored in epub or only in database?

Ou.. It's now coded? So all this digging for nothing.. Well, in that case, please Kobo change the font you are using in menus to something that has more diacritics

Last edited by mietek81; 07-24-2013 at 05:57 AM.