Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
peejayw
Enthusiast
peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Clara
Well, mission accomplished ! No more small font bug and also page turn seems much quicker. Thanks for your help, one remaining question, the files that I putinto the Kobo, do I leave them there or remove them now the installation has finished?
Thanks.
peejayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you look, they won't be there any more. The device unpacks them and then cleans up.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-07-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: I swaer, the keys on the laptop moved while I was typing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
peejayw
Enthusiast
peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thats good to know, thanks. Looks like I have solved one problem only to create another, device now doesnt want to wake from sleep,requires a power on/off cycle :-(
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejayw View Post
Well, mission accomplished ! No more small font bug and also page turn seems much quicker. Thanks for your help,
Yay!! Well done! Glad you're rid of the tininess

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I swaer, the keys on the laptop moved while I was typing.

Quote:
Thats good to know, thanks. Looks like I have solved one problem only to create another, device now doesnt want to wake from sleep,requires a power on/off cycle :-(
When exactly doesn't it wake from sleep? I've not seen this.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Take out SD Card, Power Off, Power On , Put In SD Card - Sleep now works.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
peejayw
Enthusiast

Before I saw the above info on removing the sd card i went through about 6 power cycles and now sleep is working properly so very happy to have left the tiny font bug behind.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
peejayw
Enthusiast

OK, I spoke too soon, still getting sleep problem and have tried the above sd card trick but no joy. Here is what happens.
When I close the cover and re-open I have a white screen that wont wake. Long=press on the power button often has no effect but repeated attempts will finally get it to restart. The cover of my current book is not showing so I have to go into the library and reselect it.
Sometimes, instead of the blank white screen I get the "% read Sleep Mode" at the top and the book title showing, not the cover. The unit will still not wake and I have to power cycle to start up again.
My Kobo came with 2.3.2, can I go back to a version before this that does not have the "small fonts on chapter change" bug and may be more stable than this one? Would a "pin in the hole" restart help?
Thanks.

Last edited by peejayw; 02-08-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added a further question
Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
OK, I spoke too soon, still getting sleep problem and have tried the above sd card trick but no joy. Here is what happens.
When I close the cover and re-open I have a white screen that wont wake. Long=press on the power button often has no effect but repeated attempts will finally get it to restart. The cover of my current book is not showing so I have to go into the library and reselect it.
Sometimes, instead of the blank white screen I get the "% read Sleep Mode" at the top and the book title showing, not the cover. The unit will still not wake and I have to power cycle to start up again.
My Kobo came with 2.3.2, can I go back to a version before this that does not have the "small fonts on chapter change" bug and may be more stable than this one? Would a "pin in the hole" restart help?
Thanks.
Have you tried logging out then back in to your Kobo account? If the instability is caused by a corrupt database then this might fix it, as the database gets rebuilt. But if the corrupt database is caused by a bad book then it might become corrupted again when that book is reprocessed.

2.3.1 and 2.3.2 have been the most stable firmware versions on my Glo, never had a crash with either. Earlier version 2.1.5 sometimes crashed when changing font settings on certain badly formatted books, but that was fixed with 2.3.1. I found 2.3.2 to be the same as 2.3.1 but without the tiny font bug.

A pinhole reset probably won't do anything that powering off won't do. It is just a way to force a restart when the device has crashed and can't recognise the power switch.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
peejayw
Enthusiast

Well that has made a difference. Seems to be working properly now, goes to sleep, displays the sleep screen and wakes again when I open the cover. I will see how it performs over the net few hours but it looks like your suggestion of logging out and back in may have been the answer, fingers crossed!

Many thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
I wrote off to Kobo pointing out the problem and asking if they had a timeframe to fix this bug as it detracted from the intended use of the device.

Their reply?

We at Kobo appreciate your feedback and we’re always looking for ways to improve our service.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to the Kobo Development Team for consideration.

Huh? I wasn't making a suggestion, I was reporting a problem and asking when it would be fixed !
:-(
Interesting, I wrote to them about this and asked when 2.3.2 was due to be released to fix it. It got bumped up to Level 2 support; their reply was :

Quote:
This is a known issue that our developers are working on diligently to resolve. Unfortunately we cannot provide an ETA on when the update will be available, but we do want to have it sent out as soon as possible. Check periodically by syncing your Kobo Glo to see when a firmware update is available.
Which at least indicates they acknowledge the issue, unlike a previous enquiry I made. It looks like the wording of the query is important to get it channelled to the right folk.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote