Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: June 2011 Mobile Read Book Club
The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst 6 8.33%
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett 19 26.39%
The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth 5 6.94%
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré 12 16.67%
The Scavenger's Daughter by Mike McIntyre 6 8.33%
The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian 3 4.17%
Bangkok 8 by John Burdett 3 4.17%
The Firm by John Grisham 7 9.72%
Heat Wave by Richard Castle 10 13.89%
Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #31
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is this more "I don't read best sellers" snobbery?

The Firm is a good fun read. The film didn't do it justice. Although, very few films capture all you get out of a book.

BOb
i personally don't have snobbery towards best sellers, i'm not sure why i never have read it or never plan to. to be honest i've never read anything by john grisham. i'm pretty sure i've seen some films adapted from his books but which ones that i can't tell you either. and no i haven't seen the firm.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I also enjoyed Heat Wave, and if it wins it would be a good incentive to read the next book in the series, Naked Heat.
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #33
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Is this more "I don't read best sellers" snobbery?

The Firm is a good fun read. The film didn't do it justice. Although, very few films capture all you get out of a book.

BOb
No, not at all. I read many best sellers, including Patterson, Kellerman, Parker, King, Koontz and a host of others. And I'm currently reading the Hunger Games trilogy, which is hardly high art. I just don't rate Grisham as a writer - the couple of his I have read just didn't do it for me.

Last edited by orlok; 05-24-2011 at 02:11 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #34
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
No, not at all. I read many best sellers, including Patterson, Kellerman, Parker, King, Koontz and a host of others. And I'm currently reading the Hunger Games trilogy, which is hardly high art. I just don't rate Grisham as a writer - the couple of his I have read just didn't do it for me.
I have to agree. Grisham just deos not appeal to me. This is from a guy who reads Star Wars novels. Then again I read the classics as well, so go figure.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #35
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
The first one I read by Grisham was the Rain Maker and I liked it. But a few more novels were just like re-reading the previous ones. The surprising part is I still enjoy them inpite of knowing that there won't be any surprises or new turns that have not been covered in his previous novels ..

But in this poll I am rooting for The Scavenger's Daughter and hope it wins...

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There's a big difference between a second book in a trilogy vs a second book in a series. To me, the latter just means they are related and have the same characters and locations... sort of like Star Trek... you can pick up pretty much any one of them, they are all stand alone books.

So, when you say "series" do you mean this is part of a single story or just same settings and characters?

BOb
Actually, for a good while now, you can't just pick up any recent Star Trek book because they no longer are stand alone. Ever since the A Time to series came out and books written post Nemesis the books have been no longer completely stand alone. So that analogy no longer fits.

Even if people say yes, a book in a series is stand alone, I find it never really is. Sure, the story line might be. But there is usually things in the previous books that help the reading experience of the later books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i personally don't have snobbery towards best sellers, i'm not sure why i never have read it or never plan to. to be honest i've never read anything by john grisham. i'm pretty sure i've seen some films adapted from his books but which ones that i can't tell you either. and no i haven't seen the firm.
I've seen some movies made from books that were OK on their own, but when you read the book and compare, the book makes the movie seem not so good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #38
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I enjoyed Heat Wave, both as a stand alone story and for its connection with the TV show.
I liked the TV show, but someone doesn't want Australians to buy the ebooks at the moment.

I wonder if the real author is someone well known.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #39
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I have always proffered that it was Stephen J Cannell, but he died last August.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #40
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've decided not to wait, and I've started The Eiger Sanction.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I've decided not to wait, and I've started The Eiger Sanction.
I would have asked if you wanted a buddy read of that one because I was thinking of reading that in June until I realised that I can't get it at Amazon.

Geographical restrictions suck big time!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #42
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I started reading The Spies of Warsaw in bed last night. What a mistake. After four hours I had to force myself to put it down and switch off the light. Then I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the story. Today I'm feeling shattered.

Back to Mark Twain tonight, I think.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I started reading The Spies of Warsaw in bed last night. What a mistake. After four hours I had to force myself to put it down and switch off the light. Then I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the story. Today I'm feeling shattered.

Welcome to the Furst fan club! I'll be reading Warsaw whether it wins or not. I don't want to get through the books too quickly.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #44
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Blasted library has the front runner, Maltese Falcon, in audio format only. I don't particularly care for audio books. Fortuantely, I believe, that another county has it in book format. I'm venting again, I said in a previous book club thread that I would be venting a lot of the time. Don't feel like spending over $8 on a book, I don't feel that books are worth more than that, blasted publsihers raising the cost of books! More venting.

Last edited by jbcohen; 05-25-2011 at 10:19 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #45
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Don't feel like spending over $8 on a book
The Maltese Falcon is worth $8 of my money any time.

I've got it as part of a Dashiell Hammett collection, which I think cost about $10 (for four full-length novels), which I thought was a bargain.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote