Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
haino
Connoisseur
haino began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tablet or ebook reader?

I am a bit confused (or perhaps thick) but can anyone explain the difference between a tablet PC and an ebook reader with LCD screen and wi-fi.
It seems to me that they seem to be merging somewhere.
haino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
IMHO the tablet will eventually replace the dedicated reader, but others might take issue with my opinion.

The real difference between tablets and dedicated readers is that the tablet can do things other than showing electronic books. The kindle and Nook are technically tablets since the can do other things as well. A Pandigital Novel, while it can web surf has its primary job as showing electronic books so its still classified as a dedicated device.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
ebook readers ought to be cheaper for being inferior hardware dedicated just to reading. Their best feature is eInk display, which is to say, LCD ebook readers are just severely limited tablets (which cynics would say is a severely limited notebook, which cynics would say... well, you get it).
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think tablets are going to largely supplant but not completely replace dedicated readers. Many more people are going to have tablets, and they're going to use them for at least some reading, but dedicated readers aren't going to go away as long as they remain much better for reading.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
meh, i may get a tablet in the future, but i'm still going to get a dedicated ereader. makes me feel more personalized and special plus the battery life

i don't know for others; but i get easily distracted so i would just like a simple ereader that doesn't entice me to do anything else but read, like a real book does (unless the book is very bad, of course)

Last edited by wyndslash; 03-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

When a tablet is of the size and weight of my ebook reader, provides as clear text, is as easy on the eyes for extended reading, matches the battery life, and is comparable in cost, then I may think about substitution of a tablet for my ebook reader. Even then I will not feel a great need. When I plan on reading I really have not interest in surfing the web, receiving emails, or any of the other additional functions a tablet could provide.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
I have a tablet with two reading applications. I love it... is very useful at work and meetings, and I can do a lot of other things.
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
I've been researching tablets a lot thinking that when my JBL goes that is the way I will go next time the only drawbacks are battery related almost all tablets only have 5 hour usage rate and I've only seen one or two that have (designed replaceable batteries

I saw something like http://www.gomadic.com/battery-backup-cat.html a way to harness 4 batteries that ended in a mini usb plug that would let you continue your tablets use in an emergancy ..like if the tablet died while I was using it as a gps and stranding me in an unknown city...

A 5 or 7 inch tablet would make a good reader plus the fun stuff for a gadget freak like me

coolereader has changeable colors for fonts and backgrounds and up to a 72 font so that would work for me
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
They are essentially the same thing, except that an LCD ebook reader is designed primarily for reading, so it might not have all the bells and whistles of a tablet that is not dedicated to reading. Maybe someone with a rooted Nook color can comment better.

I think that tablets will certain replace ereaders for many people, in the same way that smart phones have replaced dedicated MP3 players for many people. But there are a lot of people who really prefer eInk (I am among these people), so I really doubt they will be completely replaced. I wonder if 10 or 20 years down the line we'll be looking at screens that can function in both capacities, or in any case I'm sure someone will come up with a creative solution.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I have dedicated eReaders for reading and am still looking at tablets but as anything under 10" wouldn't meet my needs, a tablet will never replace my eReaders which just slip in a pocket and go virtually everywhere with me. When I get a tablet, I may read on it but I want it for other purposes primarily...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I was a big Kindle fan. Still am.

But, for me the iPad has mostly replaced the Kindle. *I* don't have the eye strain problems some people complain about after long reading times and though the battery life is much poorer than the Kindle, the iPad is my goto reader now.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
pappcam
pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-350
A good ebook reader uses e-ink, no back-lighting, is extremely lightweight and is relatively inexpensive. They are made to simulate the reading of a physical book

A tablet is the opposite of all those and plays Angry Birds.
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think the CPU / memory / display requirements for tablets and ereaders are too different for the two to merge for quite a while. Tablets need high CPU performance, good sized memory, high refresh rate color display, at least 7". Ereaders need non glare, preferably reflective display, long battery life, relatively lower price.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Dedicate ereaders cost less and could conceivably become free.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haino View Post
I am a bit confused (or perhaps thick) but can anyone explain the difference between a tablet PC and an ebook reader with LCD screen and wi-fi.
It seems to me that they seem to be merging somewhere.
Tablet might do a lot more than just read ebooks?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote