Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
GUIDE TO ROOT T2

Edit: "(sorry for the capital letters wanted to do in B)"

HI Guys,

I posted a couple of days ago in the developer section,
but considering that also a normal user can help I would like to ask somebody which step she or he took to root the device, so that we can publish a guide to give benefit to the users.( also I reckon the root is a strong point to buy sony as allegedly it looks the battery do not leak nothing!!)

the russian site is quite simple, but still is in russian, could you maybe someone illustrate in simple steps for dummies the 4-5 actions they did to root the device? Should take five minutes, and could spare dozens of bricked devices in internet still is not present nothing.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

please somebody!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Russian site translated to English - have you tried this?

http://translate.google.com/translat...07%26start%3D0
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
Russian site translated to English - have you tried this?

http://translate.google.com/translat...07%26start%3D0
thank you but I am still chicking
let see
1) update the latest firmware 1.0.03.09110
2)do a backup
3)jailbreak(it is obligatory to do it?) i download rupor-jailbbreak.7z and then extracting there is flash reader bat and ebook_msc.exe what i should do with that? should I maybe follow the T1 root procedure running the exe or bat(?) connecting the device?
3)then there is this resizing partition, how can i use it?
4)the same forthe dictionaries, the set up adb
5) install app2sd, AMR?

and most important if the application I am looking for is not arch, can i buy from google market?
iS NOT LIKE LET S TRY, without info detailed I risk to brick my device...
thank you

Last edited by trocchietto; 11-09-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Manual in Spanish.... if I have time, perhaps I traslate it to English...

http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...de-SONY-PRS-T2
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
spanish to english

http://translate.google.com/translat...de-SONY-PRS-T2
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
trocchietto

Please allow a first question: You bought an excellent e-reader, which is well capable of displaying DRM'ed and DRM free epub and pdf's (beside some other formats).
What is your goal of rooting?

From your above questions I assume you are not overly skilled with Android and rooting Android-devices (neither am I)

Quote:
1) update the latest firmware 1.0.03.09110
2)do a backup
Yes, and yes highly recommended.

Quote:
3)jailbreak(it is obligatory to do it?) i download rupor-jailbbreak.7z and then extracting there is flash reader bat and ebook_msc.exe what i should do with that? should I maybe follow the T1 root procedure running the exe or bat(?) connecting the device?
Yes it is obligatory, because without jailbreak there is no further rooting.
Though once completed, it shouldn't be necessary to do it again - as long as you do NOT use forthcoming stock-firmware-updates, without the expressed approval of boroda(aka porkupan)/rupor.

run "flash_reader.bat" from your PC with T2 connected in data-transfer mode.

Quote:
3)then there is this resizing partition, how can i use it?
Please check this link
it is again run "flash_reader.bat" from your PC with T2 connected in data-transfer mode.

Quote:
4)the same forthe dictionaries, the set up adb
I assume you have a European T2 with all dictionary except EN-RU / RU-EN.
So no need for that if you don't read in Russian.

If you are NOT in Android-hacking I think there is no need for adb too

Quote:
5) install app2sd, AMR?
if you do the automated repartitioning, there should be no need for APP2SD as you should be good with some 400 MB in /DATA (the location where APK's are installed)

AMR - Absolute Minimal Root does the actual rooting - is necessary - I think.

Quote:
and most important if the application I am looking for is not arch, can i buy from google market?
Please follow the thread over at the-ebook.org.
In principle it should be possible to setup and use market.
BUT some Apps might not be listed because of compatibility. So side-loading of APK's seems to be the preferred method of doing it.

Quote:
iS NOT LIKE LET S TRY, without info detailed I risk to brick my device...
You are absolutely right, so (please take that right) with your (limited) level of knowledge you should REALLY know what you are doing before starting, and you should be absolutely sure that you NEED this Apps on your e-reader.

One last thought regarding your first post in this topic:
It is not the way this community works, to force other to do your homeworks!

If it can be done in 5 minutes, then you should be able to figure it out at your own in tens the time - which would be less then a hour, too.
And then - share your findings with the community.
Post it, or start a WIKI page.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Thank You, Mark and Shark69.

Guys, only backup, jailbreak and AMR are necessary (in this order). The rest of the packages are additional bricks which you may or may not need. If you do not know what they are - than you obviously do not need them They could be installed in any order (but some require jailbreak and some do not). When problem presents itself and you will hit the wall - one of the packages may have an answer, but do not install everything simply because it exists!

At this point AMR is pretty much WIP - who knows where the road will take us

Last edited by rupor; 11-09-2012 at 11:05 AM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
trocchietto

Please allow a first question: You bought an excellent e-reader, which is well capable of displaying DRM'ed and DRM free epub and pdf's (beside some other formats).
(...cut)
Dear Rupor and Shark thank you very much, in particular Rupor for the great efforce to make this root possible and shark for the detailed step to step manual

Dear Mark,
thank you for your detailed help.I really appreciate that.
First capital point, I am really sorry you think I asked others to do my homeworks, and I apologize for that.

my intention were only to acquire some knowledge about the rooting process, for me( of course) and others community members as cannot find too many post on that. Outside the users benefit I think morally nice to root because in that way Sony T2 could become more attractive in comparison with other devices(honestly I find a pity that is not released an offficial sony root version...), I support Sony also because I am scared to move my epub books to any propretary format in future.

Regarding your first question: Not only I love this excellent e reader more than the french fries, but my purpose to root is to benefit of added functionalities and applications. I love DRM and I am sorry that are so easy to break despite I am on the side of the ethical hacking since 20 years. Digital books cost less than original movies and music and engage you usually for a really long time, definetely I support the efforce of the writers.Still I would like to use software like repligo reader to read more efficiently overcoming the limits due to the sony reader and his lack of continuous updating, navigating my maps, notes, projects,renaming files, playing with my favorite droidchess under the sun, making more efficient the browsing experience and personalizing the system as I used to do with my nix pcs where I was young, as only this last feature could worth a root for me

Your comments are insightful and also the Spanish document from shark and also the tips from Rupor(still thank you to made possible that), but still I am pondering if I should try to root the device as you witness the urge to "REALLY know what I am doing", as well it is not my case inddeed; especially the backup and partition look quite challenging for a guy that is not in IT anymore, a mistake can be fatal not only for my monthly budget but worse of all , for the gigantic work i did to arrange the collections of my beloved reader..

PRS T2 is a great reader, and gives me a lot of warm feelings on the night, do not want to risk to brick it, also if I understand the Spanish language, probably I will try as the shark guide is amazing

have a nice week end and thank you again

Last edited by trocchietto; 11-09-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
Kijac
Connoisseur
Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
My goal of rooting is:
- I want to have the possibility to have all my books on a sd-card on my reader in my order of files like the Windows-Explorer
and
- that the reader doesn't scan the sd-card every time.
- and maybe that I can see the time when I' reading.

Thats all .

I had these possibilities with PRS+ on my Sony PRS-950.

Who can help me? Thanks!
Kijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Zorac
Zorac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
the latest AMR is great, the clock and battery for the stock reader and the launch button are perfect for my needs. all i was really going for is the clock/battery for the reader, and a file explorer.

i went a little backwards though, update, jailbreak, backup, then amr. no need for resizing or apps2sd. although the english from google translate is a bit rough, as long as you get the general idea, the packages (and the automated bat files included with them) are robust and do all the hard work for you.

regarding the reader scanning, i use calibre to upload and erase books, and i havent had a single issue with the reader not updating appropriately. if you want to use windows explorer to upload (which wont updates the reader's database automatically), maybe your better off with a different reader like fbreader (after rooting). i know there is modified version of fbreader for the t1, maybe they have updated for t2 by now? worth checking if that's the way you want to go.

regarding updating AMR, does anyone know if i have to flash the recover set before loading a new AMR or can i flash a newer AMR over my older AMR?
Zorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Zorac

Unless explicitly specified otherwise new version of AMR could be installed on top of old one. No need for recovery... So far all of them are this way
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Zorac
Zorac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Zorac

Unless explicitly specified otherwise new version of AMR could be installed on top of old one. No need for recovery... So far all of them are this way
thanks!
Zorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Kijac
Connoisseur
Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-950
And what Apps can I use to solve these:
- I want to have the possibility to have all my books on a sd-card on my reader in my order of files like the Windows-Explorer
and
- that the reader doesn't scan the sd-card every time.
- and maybe that I can see the time when I' reading.
Kijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Thank You, Mark and Shark69.

Guys, only backup, jailbreak and AMR are necessary (in this order). The rest of the packages are additional bricks which you may or may not need. If you do not know what they are - than you obviously do not need them They could be installed in any order (but some require jailbreak and some do not). When problem presents itself and you will hit the wall - one of the packages may have an answer, but do not install everything simply because it exists!

At this point AMR is pretty much WIP - who knows where the road will take us
I've just updated the manual... Thanks...

Last edited by Shark69; 11-16-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote