Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #1186
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
So my daughter's kindle keyboard died and she went out and bought a new PW2. It came with 5.4.3.2. I installed the jailbreak for her and got her sleep screens working, but couldn't get the collections manager to work. After a bit of research I found out that she has the 4gb model with a serial number that starts with 9017, so it had a HW/FW combo incompatibility with CM and it was giving that can't open error. Further research showed that I could get it working with an update to 5.4.5 which I did for her and CM worked without nested collections.

Sadly, after all the reading I've done on it everything's kind of swimming around in my head and it's hard to keep it all straight anymore. The issue I'm having now is trying to get nested collections to work because that's really why I go through all of this bother in the first place. From what I'm understanding all FW 5.4.2 and later are unable to handle nested collections because of a change to the homescreen that has something to do with the new cloud collections feature. She won't be using cloud collections anyway. And since none of the newer functions are things she'd really use, I was wondering, before I go through what looks like a much more complicated process than the regular updates, will downgrading to 5.4.0 work for her to reestablish nested collection functionality if she has the 9017 4gb PW2, or is she just screwed?
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #1187
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=6
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #1188
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@centhena: No go, Kindlets won't run on older FW on the new 4G PW2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #1189
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oops.
I will think of a way to include that into the guide matrix page.
- - - - -
Will LibrarianSync do nested collections on that device?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #1190
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Oops.
I will think of a way to include that into the guide matrix page.
- - - - -
Will LibrarianSync do nested collections on that device?
I believe LibrarianSync does not handle nested collections at all.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #1191
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, and the limitation (change of behaviour, actually) is on the framework's side anyway, nothing we can do about it, AFAICT.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #1192
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe knc1 was thinking of using librarianSync on fw5.4.0 -- it is a nice idea, if only there was a way to launch it.

I think aeris's KindleMenu extension would work beautifully, but it needs away to inject itself into the framework on boot. Time for another upstart file?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #1193
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Okay. So, downgrading the Firmware to 5.4.0 using the images and instruction links from this works to give nesting functionality of CM to most PW2s but NOT to the 9017 4gb version, because Kindlets won't work on that model without FW 5.4.5 or higher. Which means downgrading to 5.4.0 would put me back at the same place I was with 5.4.3.2, so she's screwed, right? At least that's what I'm taking away from this.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #1194
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@centhena: Exactly . (That, and the fact that installing a FW version predating the HW in question is potentially a terrible idea anyway ^^).
Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #1195
centhena
Enthusiast

Quote:
@centhena: Exactly . (That, and the fact that installing a FW version predating the HW in question is potentially a terrible idea anyway ^^).
Yeah, I didn't want to kill her kindle. That's the main reason I asked before I did it, but I was willing to try if it had worked for others. Baby needs her nested collections! Hehehe! She's making due with copies and just ignoring the duplicates. I wish the "Show in Collections Only" option still showed the nested collection inside the parent collection while removing it from the home screen. That would at least be a work around... Oh well... She'll just have to wait it out till there's an update that works. I'm so glad the hubby and I have the original PWs with 5.3.9.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #1196
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Collections not listed in drop-down list

I have a Kindle Touch wifi (B011), still running firmware 5.1.2.

Jailbreak applied a long time ago. (All worked as expected)
Installed Collections Manager more than a year ago, but never used it. I just added books to the few collections I had by long-pressing on the book and the "Add to Collection".
Now I wanted to organise my growing collection of books a bit better, so I started up the Collections Manager. I noticed that in both panes only the root ("/") is shown in the drop-down list.

What-ever I tried (updated CM - to latest version, deleted and re-created collections, updated JBPatch - perhaps not necessary but was a very old version, installed MKK - did not think it was needed but what the hell, restarted many times...), I cannot get the collections to appear in the drop-down lists (both panes).

I could not find any mention of such a problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #1197
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JNT: Check the filtering settings in CM's menu.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #1198
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
@JNT: Check the filtering settings in CM's menu.
If by "filtering settings", you refer to "Display Options" in the menu, then, yes, I have played around with those. They only seem to affect the results in the main panes and not the drop-down lists.
I can see the collections in the upper and lower panes, but cannot choose a collection in the drop-down list, since only "/" appears.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #1199
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JNT: IIRC, that's by design, the dropdown serves another purpose (nesting? current selected collection? can't remember :/).

My bad, I initially completely missed that you were talking about the drop-down, and not the panes .
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #1200
JNT
Connoisseur

Ah, well... I will just continue to live without it then.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks