Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #31
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I had the problem with the page flipping followed by freeze. Took my unit back to the Sony Store where I purchased it; the same guy was working, got a new unit in 30 seconds. Its been a few days and no problems.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #32
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
CedroRosso,

Has your new T1 continued to work without issues? Have you checked the firmware to see if it is the same?

Mine is still crashing at least three times a day, as I read for maybe 3 hours a day. Last night, it did not crash, though. I haven't done anything to it either, but I only read for an hour or so, all together.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
twinzz, what is your reading process like? By that I mean do you open a book and just keep reading page after page when it crashes? Or, do you exit the book, look up something in the browser, take a break and the reader goes to sleep before you pick it up again? Was there something different about last night in the way that you were reading when it didn't crash?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #34
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Hey Bookworm_Girl,

Normally, I open the book and simply read with many page changes. Last night, I was in and out of the reader. In other words, I would read for a short time, cut it off, open it up and read. I did this about three times for about 15 to 45 minute reading cycles.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #35
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I've had mine for 4 days and no problems at all.
I use the Sony software to manage my library and generally have 6 books on the reader at any given time.
I have been using it approx 3 hours while at work...I can read for maybe 20 minutes between running tests then another 45ish minutes or so of testing and other work related stuff so the reader will cycle through its' "sleep" phase quite a few times in an 8 hour shift with no hiccups at all...so far...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, your responses fit my theory which is that the page flipping / freezing is most likely to occur when you are just plain reading a book page after page. The first time it crashed I was reading a newspaper. Just flipping pages for about 20-30 minutes. The second time it crashed I was a passenger in a car so no Wi-fi and again I was just flipping through page after page. Normally when I read it is in smaller segments throughout the day. When I read for hours I take small breaks so it sleeps or I use Wikipedia or dictionary lookups quite a bit (the full-page not just the pop-up). I haven't had any issues during my normal, typical reading sessions (yet).
Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #37
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Seems to me, if the Forum's representative, that about 55% have problems, and 45% don't - yet.......

Think I'll hang on for a bit !!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I have: 882 books on internal memory, 465 mb free, a blank (and formatted via device) 8gig card sitting loaded but empty, same firmware as everyone else, and haven't had a crash (but with some qualifications - see below).

Mine crashed and froze when I tried to load all my books via microsd card, and didn't wait for them to finish loading before I browsed my library. But that's expected from a device with limited memory - I bogged down resources and created the crash. All I can say is I don't think the T1 handles large collections via Microsd card very well - at least on my Nook touch (since returned..) I could load thousands of books via Microsd without a hickup, and it zoomed through the library screen. On the T1, I had to move all of them to internal memory, and then go through each of my 98 screens of books one by one, letting the covers fully load. Once I do that, it's smooth sailing.

Regarding reading habits, I usually use the buttons to turn pages, and generally read maybe an hour without taking a break. Then I usually browse through my library, close the book, or put the device to sleep. I only use sideloaded books which are placed manually by me. I don't use Calibre or Sony software, and the largest book I finished so far was about 800 pages, if that maters. I also don't use the browser, and have about 2 library loaned books on the device...but I really don't use the library lending feature too much (so far anyway).
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I think that whether you use buttons or primarily swipe also is a factor. I think if you primarily use buttons then you won't see this issue. I often swap back and forth. 50/50 either way.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
I've only had one crash, when I was deleting a bunch of collections really fast, without waiting for the screen to update. Regularly it deletes just fine.

I have never had it crash while reading for hours at a time using page swipes.

I just had a thought however. When I'm reading I'll occasionally look up a word in the dictionary, but seldom use WiFi so I just turn it off. I wonder if having it on all the time affects the crashing people are experiencing?
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #41
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I suppose I could of said above that my wifi is always off until needed as well, curious about others who are having problems..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #42
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
when i use the buttons i normally would get a force close, when i use the swipe i'd get the touch screen dying issue. Anyways mine will be sent back tomorrow, all boxed up. Now i need to figure out what reader to get.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #43
joshua7b
joshua7b began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Mine crashed straight out of the box while I was setting up the date/time in the initial settings. It's also crashed a couple of other times while reading. Most recently though, I came back to the reader, that I had left in sleep mode, and the loading icon (circular arrows) kept flashing on the screen, over and over and over with no end in sight. I had to use the reset button to get out of it.
joshua7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #44
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
OK, I crashed hubby's T-1 tonight. I was checking through an epub I'd made for myself, flipping pages (swipe, not buttons), bouncing back and forth in the linked internal TOC, just generally looking at it on the T-1, for fun. As it has both italics and bold, I wanted to see what would happen when I moved out of the Original font. (Mixed results there!)

Anyway, suddenly after changing font, I got the rotating arrows, only they weren't rotating, just flashing on and off. Nothing worked, couldn't turn the reader off, buttons didn't work, etc. I did a reset and it seems fine now.

Might've just been more of a "user" crash, I certainly wasn't being cautious as I was in a hurry to see what the latest version of my book looked like on the new T-1 screen. It's been a week since the device arrived.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #45
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Still no freezes on the new unit, been sharing it with my girl so it's been getting something like 6 hours of use a day. Firmware version is 1.0.00.09010 same as everyone's (I think). If my new unit freezes, I'll let you know.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote