Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
My battery seems pretty brilliant, much longer lived than the 650 one,
This is my experience, too.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Perform a factory reset. That has been shown to cure the problem. It seems to be a well known Android problem. http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/v...4494&sliceId=1
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
ah, sorry - I mixed something. bought a sony bt headset which has an included 550mA USB charger.... my T1 doesn't have one...

----

1A won't be a problem as the T1 (as every other lithium battery powered tablet/smartphone/laptop) controls charging current... (without built-in current control, the battery would explode...)

My Sony smartphone will use up to 750mA for charging, if the charger is able to supply it...

So, it seems that with more amps, the T1 manages to charge better...

----

compared to factoryreset, battery recalibration can be achieved easier: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...roubleshooting

Last edited by uboot; 11-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
ah, sorry - I mixed something. bought a sony bt headset which has an included 550mA USB charger.... my T1 doesn't have one...

----

1A won't be a problem as the T1 (as every other lithium battery powered tablet/smartphone/laptop) controls charging current... (without built-in current control, the battery would explode...)

My Sony smartphone will use up to 750mA for charging, if the charger is able to supply it...

So, it seems that with more amps, the T1 manages to charge better...

----

compared to factoryreset, battery recalibration can be achieved easier: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...roubleshooting

thanks for that advice I will continue to use my htc charger. i did notice my last charge that the epub book i was reading seemed to bleed battery dry alot quicker that others. i had that happen once before but by pressing home button before putting reader to sleep seems to sort it.

thomas
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Hm haven't faced that so far, but setting a fixed wallpaper might be another workaround...

Or letting an app like Free-Advanced-Task-Manager autokill the reader app when switching to standby...
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
nindustrial
Enthusiast
nindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: PRS-T1
Trying to find a charger that I could use with my new T1; does anyone know the specs of the official Sony charger? 5V DC, but what is the power rating? I have an old one for a bluetooth headset that puts out 5V at 550 mA but I'm worried that's not enough. Most of the ones of eBay seem to be at least 1000 mA. Will it not charge properly if I use it with the 550 mA one? Tx-N
nindustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
uboot
Evangelist

so, why don't you just buy one from ebay with at least 1A? you won't need more than 1A I guess...

550mA - that's only 50mA more than charging via computer - certainly too small...
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #23
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindustrial View Post
Trying to find a charger that I could use with my new T1; does anyone know the specs of the official Sony charger? 5V DC, but what is the power rating? I have an old one for a bluetooth headset that puts out 5V at 550 mA but I'm worried that's not enough. Most of the ones of eBay seem to be at least 1000 mA. Will it not charge properly if I use it with the 550 mA one? Tx-N
It will charge perfectly well, just might take a bit longer that's all. And if you are charging a nearly empty battery the charger might get a little warm to start with.

Quote:
so, why don't you just buy one from ebay with at least 1A? you won't need more than 1A I guess...

550mA - that's only 50mA more than charging via computer - certainly too small...
Why is it too small? As you yourself pointed out it is 50ma more than the output from a USB port and the T1 is designed to charge from that.

As I said in another thread the device will only ever draw the maximum current that it is designed to do. As long as the charging source meets the minimum requirements (matches the USB spec) then it will be fine. You could have a charger that provides 10A output but if the device is designed with a maximum current draw of 500ma then that's all it will take.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #24
uboot
Evangelist

According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11 charging with higher amp wall charger will signifficantly increase battery life compared to charging via USB/Laptop...
Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #25
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindustrial View Post

The Sony Charger is 1000 mA. I tried three different charger I had for my other ereaders and they didn't work so I had to go buy the Sony charger. (My other readers are not Sony so I did not have a previous Sony charger)

The other readers Adapters specs are:
T1: Sony PRSA-AC10: Input: .2A Output: 5V 1000 mA (1A)
Libre: SAW-0501200: Input: .5A Output: 5V 1200 mA (1.2A)
Astak Pocket Pro: HNC050100C: Input: .3Amax Output: 5V 1.0A
Augen: JKY36-SP0500500 Input: 150mA max Output 5V 500mA

But for some reason, only the Sony adapter worked.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #26
Gustav Gans
Enthusiast
Gustav Gans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have the official Sony Reader adaptor PRSA-AC1A which has PRS-T1 listed as supported device and outputs 5 V and 1500 mA.
Gustav Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #27
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11 charging with higher amp wall charger will signifficantly increase battery life compared to charging via USB/Laptop...
Sorry but this is just one person's view and not definitive proof that using a wall charger has any significant affect on battery life.

I use both a USB port and a wall charger to charge my 650 and I can honestly say that I notice no difference in how long the charge lasts for. The only difference is that it takes longer for the red light to go out when using the USB method. One thing you must do is leave your reader charging after the light goes out as this does not indicate that the device is fully charged.

As I said charging via USB is perfectly OK - if it were not then Sony would be obliged to include a charger with every reader they sold.

You also must realise that the current drawn by the reader varies throughout the charging cycle. The closer the battery gets to a full charge the lower the current flowing. Theoretically when the battery is fully charged the current will fall to zero, but this almost never happens and the slope of the current curve will just flatten off. So if you charge your reader on a regular basis before it gets too low, as is recommended for long life, the potential difference between the 5v USB source and the battery voltage will be such that it's unlikely that you would exceed the 500ma available. There also must be some circuitry in the reader that limits the charging current as charging the battery at too high a current will destroy the cells.

So to sum up. In my opinion there is no reason why charging using USB is any worse than a separate wall charger. As long as you do not let your computer go to sleep and you also leave your reader connected for long enough, then there can be no difference.

After all at the end of the day it is just down to the laws of physics!
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I have tried using an ordinary USB charger. When I first plugged it in, it seemed to revive the totally dead battery, but after an hour or two I saw a message that the unit wasn't charging. I moved it over to my computer and then it started charging just fine. I have a couple of other devices that seem to have ordinary USB ports for charging, but actually require their specific chargers or a computer. A pox on them for making life difficult - unnecessarily. If it didn't have the micro USB connector, I'd try to use one of the other special charges which has a mini USB plug.

In short, it looks like the PRS-T1 requires the Sony charger or using a computer.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #29
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I have tried using an ordinary USB charger. When I first plugged it in, it seemed to revive the totally dead battery, but after an hour or two I saw a message that the unit wasn't charging. I moved it over to my computer and then it started charging just fine. I have a couple of other devices that seem to have ordinary USB ports for charging, but actually require their specific chargers or a computer. A pox on them for making life difficult - unnecessarily. If it didn't have the micro USB connector, I'd try to use one of the other special charges which has a mini USB plug.

In short, it looks like the PRS-T1 requires the Sony charger or using a computer.
I use my htc phone charger which definately gives better charge that usb. I have bought a £5 charger of ebay to put with reader that is being given as a present. I have not tested this one yet but will try it tonight.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I use my Samsung phone charger and it does a great job. I've not had any problems as of yet. I've only had to charge it twice since I have had it. Once the initial charge and one time since.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote