Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Lightbulb A(My) Kindle Story

I don't know where to start but lets start with the Kindle 2 price cut. I was abroad at that time so I couldn't purchase a K2, and so I thought, "Hmm... I'm going to get myself a K2 immediately once I land back in the US"(which would be around 11-12th Aug), (and with free Prime [Student] it would have been just a matter of 2 days wait period max. And so I waited and waited as to when I would actually return. But wait, on July 30-31st they announced the Kindle 3. It would ship on August 27th. I never expected it to get sold out so I waited until August 4th. And then the Amazon page hit me... "Expected shipping date for new deliveries - Sept 4th", and in haste I pre-ordered a Black Kindle 3 3G. This meant that my initial plan of acquiring a Kindle as soon as I returned would have to be 'slightly modified' so to say. Since all was for the better I although a little 'disappoint' accepted it.
Now around 8-10 days later I returned back to the US (college starting ). I had very well seen that the Kindle new order delivery date had been pushed back to 10th September.
Suddenly, I do not know why, I thought I was making a hasty decision by pre-ordering (I never preorder anything, just a fundamental sceptic), and probably $190 is too much money to spend on a 'mere' ebook reader AND I should probably read a few reviews before jumping in and buying it. Whenever I feel that I am making a wrong decision, I generally wait for atleast 24 hours before acting up on it to eliminate the impulse-factor in my decision (which was probably why I did not preorder the Kindle as soon as it came out).
Did I mention that I've been practically wanting an ebook reader for over a year?
So, after waiting 24 hours I again broached this topic in my mind. It said, "Cancel your pre-order, it's not a big deal. You can get one after its released. Worst case scenario would be you get it 2 weeks later than the original launch date and probably a week or so later than you originally would have". It also said, "Come on, you really don't read all that much[lie] you dont need to spend money on such a device."
So, I did.
I cancelled my preorder rationalizing that I should read the reviews before I buy a product and it goes against my 'code' to blindly purchase one.
Now did you see that I've specifically used the word 'purchase' instead of the word úse' in my diatribe against myself?
Yes? That's because I've been (seeing that I'm a student) REGULARLY (almost on levels of insanity) borrowing Kindle from my college library (1 week no renewal). And although college hasn't started, we could still checkout items.
So I did that as well.
After a lengthy break of 2 months I had an e-ink device in my hands again. I checked out a Kindle 1 last Monday and used it for 5 days. It felt great. Gone were the days of squinting at my 2.8" cellphone screen. I liked the scroll wheel. I especially loved the case. Makes you feel that it's well protected and you don't hesitate to throw(well not literally throw, but you get the point) it in your backpack. And the whispernet has been a boon while at bus stops. I could instantly download "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and be reading in less time than it took me to walk from my college building to the stop(which isn't all that far mind you). I actually found nothing wrong with the Kindle 1's screen. Also, when the clouds cleared and the sun smiled upon the land as I was reading, I would gently chucked in awe of an e-ink screen whose potency grows with the surrounding lighting conditions. Not once or twice, but almost all the time. I would have an air of superiority when others with cellphones would try to hide the screen from the sun with their cupped hands, and here I was welcoming the warm sunshine in its full glory(I just smiled while writing this line as well). This, felt magical. I could see noticeable page turn times but I thought I would/could live with it. And so five days passed, and I returned my Kindle 1... and issued myself a Kindle 2.
The battery was down on the Kindle 2. I reached home and charged it upto 11. I then looked at a book preloaded on it (my library considers request for any book you might want preloaded on the device) titled, "Nickeled and Dimed". Alright, the name sounds familiar... lets start reading. And then I noticed one thing almost immediately. The page turns, they were almost instantaneous. And I was in awe again. My heart said, "How much better is the Kindle 2 to the Kindle 1 which I was ready to accept as my own? How much better will the Kindle 3 be to the Kindle 2 now? Mind, I truly believe you were wrong in manipulating him to cancel it. Can you explain yourself?". My mind had no answer. I realized that I had in a sense made a mistake by canceling my pre-order. That the reader would truly not go underutilized like any other toy one has. That I should put it on pre-order again. I cannot/do not go to a single lecture without the Kindle. I leave my laptop at home, but I do take the Kindle along with me without fail. Although not my own, the Kindle has rejoined me as my companion in these few short days. Hence now wiser I will positively listen to the heart and not the mind.

Now I see that the preorders have been pushed back to the 17th. *sigh* (Goes to pre-order page again)
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nice story

And sometimes it pays to buy impulsively!

Quote:
So, after waiting 24 hours I again broached this topic in my mind. It said, "Cancel your pre-order, it's not a big deal. You can get one after its released. Worst case scenario would be you get it 2 weeks later than the original launch date and probably a week or so later than you originally would have". It also said, "Come on, you really don't read all that much[lie] you dont need to spend money on such a device."
You missed one point there... You can always return it within 30 days after receiving it!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
You should have published that as a book instead as a forum post.
I really don't see the big deal - you wanted a Kindle, canceled the order and now you regret your decision.
Just make your mind and stick to it, not that damn hard.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just a little snarky.

some people have a hard time with decisions/commitments. this one was shared, regrets and all.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Sweetpea: Yes, that thought crossed my mind. But, at that point of time I believed that I did not need an ebook reader at all, much less a kindle. Well, on the bright side I've got plenty of time to read others' reviews, and probably (hopefully) my college library might snag up a few of these.
I now wait for Sept 17th
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
ski_power
Book eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
I really don't see the big deal - you wanted a Kindle, canceled the order and now you regret your decision.
Just make your mind and stick to it, not that damn hard.
It is hard when you're not really sure about the money involved. Probably you're one of those lucky ones who can call a decision and stick to it. Cheers.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I enjoyed reading ski_power's original post too, and found gollu's reply to be pretty rude. I could tell it was written right from the heart. My only criticism is on the formatting. (too many parenthetical notes and no line breaks made it a little hard to read) But to be fair, maybe English is not your first language, since you have "returned to the US."

It sounds like you really like eBook readers. A lot of us do. As much as I like my K2, I would not have gone to the trouble to rent one.

I think you should buy a used K2 from an early adopter of the K3. I bet there are a load of them for sale here and on ebay right now at cut-rate prices.

Then, when the supply has caught up with the demand for K3s and there are more user reviews out there, pull the trigger. Or ask for it for your birthday or Christmas.

In the meantime, you may not be suffering with 30 lbs. of textbooks.

Thanks for taking me along on the emotional adventure.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I apologize if my post was offensive.
I am not so decisive with my purchases at all, yet once I press the button it's done. It's just some peace of electronics, it's not like donating a kidney.
I'm sure you are going to enjoy your Kindle 3, just go for it.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
just wait for k3, it's better than k2... for now read on your pc/mac or phone or simply find a new hobby for a month

i suggest, starcraft 2!
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
I don't think your post was offensive at all. Reread the convoluted thought process this person used to make a relatively minor decision. This person doesn't say what their major in college is however, I hope it not something that's going to require clear, concise, logical, quick thinking in their eventual job.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
I am not so decisive with my purchases at all, yet once I press the button it's done. It's just some peace of electronics, it's not like donating a kidney.
That depends on one's financial point of view. I know that when I was a student, it would have pretty much been out of the question to spend $140 on something that wasn't absolutely needed for school or work.

In other words, the less money one has, the less of a 'minor purchase' it becomes.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
I don't think your post was offensive at all. Reread the convoluted thought process this person used to make a relatively minor decision. This person doesn't say what their major in college is however, I hope it not something that's going to require clear, concise, logical, quick thinking in their eventual job.
Well, I remember being back in college when a purchase of this size was like you or I buying a car, today. I enjoyed reading her growing excitement, and hope she gets a Kindle soon.

I wish I worked with people who approached problems in this manner. Unfortunately, too often people make decisions knowing nothing about what they are making a decision on! Actually basing a decision on hard evidence seems to be the essense of Six Sigma!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
heh heh
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
ski_power
Book eater

@JeremyZ:
Yes! English is technically not my native language although its the only language I thought I knew properly. So feel free to criticize my writing as I better know atleast one language! When I put an exclamation mark I remember the words on another post suggesting a needle point to limit its usage. lol. I'll read up on the usage of parenthesis and hopefully learn to better its usage. I'm using the fluid web layout instead of fixed so I...oh wait, it must be one huge wall of text in the fixed layout (probably this one too).
Also, I thought about getting a Kindle 2 but on ebay the prices are almost the same as the Kindle 3's launch price so I figure it isn't worth it. I waited for over a year, whats a few weeks more is what I think, while on the other hand each day seems to pass excruciatingly slowly now that I'm actually looking forward to something. I mean, we all know that feeling, don't we?
My birthday is in April and.... ah nevermind I'll get one as soon as it becomes 'available' on Amazon, I'm actually waiting for my $5 gift card to come.
I'm definitely getting one, that's now clear from this entire ordeal.

@gollu: Like JeremyZ put in his next post, it indeed is purely because I'm in college. Had I been working I wouldn't have thought of it twice and probably it may not have held the same value as it holds now for me.

@stargazertony: My userbar is 100% true. M.S. Mech Engg if you wanted to know. I don't get emotional while making decisions for others (i.e. company/friends/anything) purely because any data required I ask them and process accordingly. For multiple inputs, I give them multiple decisions and mention to them the optimal decision that should be taken. Well, when it comes down to myself, not only do I have to analyze decisions (the easy part) but also actually execute them (the hard part). If it might be possible to take the emotion out of something I try to do that. But this is one of the times where I wasn't. But then isn't making mistakes a stepping stone to success?

@nachtxecule: Oh no no no no no... I don't want to walk that path again. I've spent countless hours in Oblivion and with great difficulty I got rid of it. I'm going to try only 'light' gaming like Plants Vs Zombies (tried at my friends place, its really really awesome). But, I'm afraid to brace the dark side again.

@Sydney's Mom: Thanks for your comment, and yes it does feel like a really big decision. I didn't quite understand your second paragraph, since I thought of myself of taking a decision that wasn't based on hard evidence, but it seems that you think otherwise. (Thanks)
Oh, also I'm a 'he'

Last edited by ski_power; 08-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
just a side note, "light gaming" is called "casual gaming", and ya i also agree plants vs zombies is fantastic, you should try 'peggle' from the same company.

for more free awesome casual go here pogo.com (it has risk!) or zone.com
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote