Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Jdonne5
Jdonne5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Locking Content/Read Only?

Hi all --
Is it possible to lock a Kindle or make a Kindle read-only? This to prevent accidental deletion or excessive notes/highlighting. I haven't purchased a Kindle for me/my family yet so I can't experiment. Anyone know? Your help is appreciated!
Jdonne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Not normally, no. However, if you manually set the file read-only via USB, you might be able to prevent a book from being deleted. But I haven't tested it.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdonne5 View Post
Hi all --
Is it possible to lock a Kindle or make a Kindle read-only? This to prevent accidental deletion or excessive notes/highlighting. I haven't purchased a Kindle for me/my family yet so I can't experiment. Anyone know? Your help is appreciated!
Welcome to MobileRead, Jdonne5.

If you've purchased the books from Amazon, they are stored in your media account and you can re-download them for free anytime.

If they are freebies you've downloaded, like from here, they should be stored on your computer already.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Yes, you should be well protected in case you delete something.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, lock, locking, read only