Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Arden Shakespeare

While I was searching the forum I came across a recommendation for the Arden Shakespeare series but it was unavailable in ebook format at the time of the post (2008). I've now noticed that it is available in ePub and as I'm searching for a good Shakespeare collection - is that the one to own? Any other recommendations will be appreciated.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm not sure about the ebook edition but the hardback of the Arden Shakespeare Complete Works apparently lacks the footnotes of the individual volumes.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have the individual paperback versions of many of the Arden editions of Shakespeare's plays. The notes are excellent--the only more comprehensive volumes I have seen are the Variorum editions.

The question is whether or not the ebook version has those notes. If not, and you want annotations, then you should probably look elsewhere.

There is the Shakespeare Pro App on iTunes but it's a bit pricey {as Apps go}.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the complete set of Arden Shakespeare paperbacks. They are, IMHO, the best around. However, I don't think the single volume "collected works" has the annotations and footnotes, which makes it much less useful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'm not too bothered about annotations to be honest. They'd be very nice but what I'd really like is a well formatted edition of Shakespeare's Complete Works. I haven't seen a PD edition that comes close and I'd be willing to pay as to create one myself would be a large undertaking.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #6
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have two e-book editions and they are moderately priced and well formatted.

1. William Shakespeare Complete Works Ultimate Collection: 213 Plays, Poems, Sonnets, Poetry including the 16 rare, hard-to-get Apocryphal Plays PLUS Annotations, Commentaries of Works, Full Biography [Kindle Edition]

This has just about everything, is well formatted and costs only $2.34.

2. THE COMPLETE PLAYS OF SHAKESPEARE (Special Kindle Illustrated and Commented Edition) All of William Shakespeare's Unabridged Plays AND Yale Critical Analysis ... (The Complete Works of Shakespeare) [Kindle Edition]

Again. this is inexpensive at $2.99 and well formatted. However, you don't get the poetry. This edition does have some interesting essays, but if you want everything in one volume, the other is probably the better buy. {IMO}

It might be worth downloading free samples to see which {if either} would suit you.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-05-2011 at 05:23 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Can someone identify a specific series which offers the play(s) AND the annotations as an ebook? Without annotations, one might as well just download Project Gutenberg editions.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't believe there are any. At least, I haven't come across any, and it is something I keep an eye open for.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Personally I think the annotations are a nuisance, distracting from the flow of reading the play. Although I found them useful when I was a student, I don't want them when reading the plays for pleasure. So I have both falling apart pbooks of Shakespeare's works and ebooks downloaded from the memorial library.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're obviously much more of a Shakespearean expert than I am. I find the annotations essential to understand Shakespeare's language.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I read them for the story, not to study the poetry of the language, so it's like reading a novel written entirely in dialogue.

This is probably because I spent years studying him through 0 and A level English, then a degree in Lit. Now I don't understand why others have difficulty.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I have two e-book editions and they are moderately priced and well formatted.

1. William Shakespeare Complete Works Ultimate Collection: 213 Plays, Poems, Sonnets, Poetry including the 16 rare, hard-to-get Apocryphal Plays PLUS Annotations, Commentaries of Works, Full Biography [Kindle Edition]

This has just about everything, is well formatted and costs only $2.34.

2. THE COMPLETE PLAYS OF SHAKESPEARE (Special Kindle Illustrated and Commented Edition) All of William Shakespeare's Unabridged Plays AND Yale Critical Analysis ... (The Complete Works of Shakespeare) [Kindle Edition]

Again. this is inexpensive at $2.99 and well formatted. However, you don't get the poetry. This edition does have some interesting essayWilliam Shakespeare Complete Works Ultimate Collections, but if you want everything in one volume, the other is probably the better buy. {IMO}

It might be worth downloading free samples to see which {if either} would suit you.
Thanks for the tip. I checked out the first one, "William Shakespeare Complete Works Ultimate Collection" and the price has even gone down a bit to $1.99 for the book. It looks like there is a lot of good reading in it, not just the plays & sonnets themselves, but the additional material that is included in it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I read them for the story, not to study the poetry of the language, so it's like reading a novel written entirely in dialogue.

This is probably because I spent years studying him through 0 and A level English, then a degree in Lit. Now I don't understand why others have difficulty.
My own first exposure to Shakespeare was through movie versions of his plays. Hamlet & MacBeth primarily. The old black & white versions with Laurence Oliver and Orson Welles that is with Romeo & Juliet and The Taming of the Shrew (both in color) thrown in for good measure. He's still one of the greatest writer's to have ever lived I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Not sure what the bumping etiquette is on these forums, but I've just discovered the RSC eBook versions of the individual plays (UK ePub link).

They're rather pricey, but well annotated (obscure words/ phrases are hyperlinked back and forth - check out the preview of the Kindle version of Hamlet to see how frequent the notes are, but note that the endnotes are not included in the preview!) with good introductions, scene-by-scene analysis, etc.

I've fairly sure, despite the given date of publication, that these are mostly new: I remember a selection of the RSC eBooks were available on waterstones and kobobooks earlier in the year, but then they disappeared completely a couple of months ago, and Hamlet was definitely not part of this selection (and also the covers were different). Additionally, booksonboard gives the dates of publication as 2nd December 2011, so I think the dates noted on bookdepository may refer to the paperback editions.

[Affiliate link deleted by moderator]

Last edited by HarryT; 12-07-2011 at 08:01 AM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Moderator Notice
Please do not post affiliate links. This is prohibited except when following the rules laid out in the "Deals and Resources" forum.

Thank you.