Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #31
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I just became aware of this tool today and added it to my K3W, but I am not seeing it in my KUAL menus. I installed it by unzipping helper2-1.0.1.zip into my extensions directory and expected it to simply show up on the helper menu. It did not. Does the kindle need to be restarted? Is there a command I need to issue in KUAL to update its menus?

I confirmed I have it installed properly and that it works by running it from a myts session, so I can use it even without KUAL if necessary.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I just became aware of this tool today and added it to my K3W, but I am not seeing it in my KUAL menus. I installed it by unzipping helper2-1.0.1.zip into my extensions directory and expected it to simply show up on the helper menu. It did not. Does the kindle need to be restarted? Is there a command I need to issue in KUAL to update its menus?

I confirmed I have it installed properly and that it works by running it from a myts session, so I can use it even without KUAL if necessary.

Dave
You may have gotten a copy with an extra ',' (comma) character in the jason file.
Which **should** generate a KUAL error indication when KUAL is opened.
If the file does have an extra ',' - then just deleting the character will make it work.

Otherwise, it should "just work".

Last edited by knc1; 03-11-2015 at 04:31 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #33
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You may have gotten a copy with an extra ',' (comma) character in the jason file.
Which **should** generate a KUAL error indication when KUAL is opened.
If the file does have an extra ',' - then just deleting the character will make it work.

Otherwise, it should "just work".
As suggested, I inspected menu.json and removed an extraneous comma. When I next started KUAL the menu entry was there. Perhaps someone should fix the zip file in the thread.

Dave
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
As suggested, I inspected menu.json and removed an extraneous comma. When I next started KUAL the menu entry was there. Perhaps someone should fix the zip file in the thread.

Dave
Please read the red and green colored text just above the attachments to the first post.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #35
dhdurgee
Guru

I am having some "fun" with this as despite using the button my K3W is showing the wrong time. I opened a myts terminal window and the date command shows an odd offset from GMT. How do I correctly set the time zone? I don't see a setting for this in the framework menus, only a set time in the settings menu.

Dave
Advert
Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 AM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
use the "date" command, and pass it a date. You can ignore the timezone and just use localtime because the Kindles do not have very good date handling...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 AM   #37
knc1
Going Viral

Good suggestion -
We have had several posts about TZ troubles recently, some of them really weird problems.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's also a setdate & a settz script that massage those stuff to make Amazon's custom-ish handling of it happy.

IIRC, setdate expects an epoch as input (date +%s), and settz a delta in s?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #39
dhdurgee
Guru

I followed a link to another thread that noted you could add a line to /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh to specify your timezone, so I thought this would be my solution. I opened a myts terminal window and started mc, walked to the directory and attempted to make a backup copy to start.orig to cover me. Unfortunately I get an error pop-up: "Cannot create target file './start.orig' Read-only file system (30)" when I do so.

So it appears that I need to get read/write access first to the file system, use mc to backup and then edit the file, and the return the file system to read/only mode. Is this documented somewhere?

Is there a better way to handle this?

Dave
Old 03-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
mntroot rw && commands && mntroot ro
The rootfs is read-only to prevent clobbering.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #41
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Code:
mntroot rw && commands && mntroot ro
The rootfs is read-only to prevent clobbering.
I figured there was a good reason for it to be r/o under normal circumstances. Thank you for the pointer to the commands I needed.

It does seem strange, as the author wrote in the linked thread, that there is not a better solution to this timezone problem. I would have expected that to be part of the user configuration somewhere.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 03-29-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Usually it updates the time from Amazon servers using WiFi. And the time only messes up horribly when you reboot, as the hardware clock... isn't...
Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #43
Veargan
Veargan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch WiFi
I dont know what to do, already established KUAL, helper1-2, have 5.1.2 firmware and Kindle was jailbroken as well. I got in report this:
/*
Configured time server(s):
0.ua.pool.ntp.org 1.ua.pool.ntp.org
2.ua.pool.ntp.org 3.ua.pool.ntp.org
Error Code: 1
Message from ntpdate command was:
Name server cannot be used, exiting 1 Apr 93:39:47 ntpdate[4748]: name server cannot be used, reason: Temporary failure in name resolution

System time and date not changed.
*/
I already tried with different ntp servers, but still I receive this message. I don't know why, but I can't connect to the WiFi with WPA2, or even with open network to update a system time (kindle time 01.04.2012), thus, I use this method. All this is necessary for correct operation of sorting according to date of viewing, because it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for your help !
Veargan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

If you cannot connect to the network, then this method won't work either.

It is designed to be independent from Amazon (and thus work even when the Block Big Brother firewall is active)... but it still needs to access the public datetime servers.

If you cannot access WiFi with your Kindle, you *can* still use kterm to set the date by hand via the standard linux `date` command.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

You can also use the search bar settime shortcut: ;st

Recognized TIME formats:
hh:mm[:ss]
[YYYY.]MM.DD-hh:mm[:ss]
YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm[:ss]
[[[[[YY]YY]MM]DD]hh]mm[.ss]

Hmm...
research for this post shows me I missed something in this button:
Code:
	lipc-send-event -r 30 com.lab126.time timeChanged -i $delta

Last edited by knc1; 03-27-2016 at 10:53 PM.