Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
belladove
belladove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
i'm happy; what am i doing wrong?

So far, I have been able to: check out and read library books instantly and seamlessly, watch streaming video and stuff on youtube, look at magazines online, bookmark what I like, delete stuff from the carousel, move stuff from the carousel to my favorites shelf ... pretty much everything I want.

Like many of you, I'd love to delete the carousel altogether. I also cannot figure out how to listen to WHYY online.

Other than that, it's all good. This is my first touchscreen device so I have (as of yet!) no desire for apps. Feeling fine about Silk too.

So ... what am I missing? Did Amazon make huge strides on this thing between Halloween and Christmas? I have access to free library books (albeit with holds), can do nearly everything l want to online, and have cleaned up lots of the clutter on the device. Is there any vital thing that someone basically happy with the device /platform as is should know?
belladove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Not sure what your question is as u asked what you are doing WRONG?

Whats the issue?
You can listen to online streaming songs with Songza and Pandora for free

is WHYY a radio station?

Try this page: http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2011/11...nternet-radio/

and try the TuneIn app to listen to your local and other radio stations.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I think with the number of nit-picking posts, the OP has no major complaints and is happy thus far -- so he/she must be doing something wrong.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It doesn't look like they have an app for Android only Iphone or Ipad.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
I second Tune In. Its my favorite app period.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
As one of the people who has been most critical of the Fire, I suppose I should chime in; yes, the Fire has improved since it was released. Many small bugs and quirks have been fixed. There are still quite a few issues that I have with it, especially with things that I consider omissions such as the less-than-fully-capable reader app, and confusing and limited Cloud service. For a full list read my review on Amazon (under the name Billy Radcliffe). But for the most part I now consider it a device I can recommend, if not enthusiastically.

As to WHYY, yes check out TuneIn - you can get live stream there. I also recommend Stitcher for getting NPR podcasts.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladove View Post
So ... what am I missing? Did Amazon make huge strides on this thing between Halloween and Christmas?
There were a couple of updates, but the haters hated on those too My theory is that the poor reviews were predominantly from people who 1) were predisposed to dislike the device (fanboys of other devices/detractors of Amazon), or 2) spent too little time with the device. Many of the most negative reviews were written by people who had not even touched one. I decided right away to pass on professional opinions. Amazon's return policies allow risk free trials of the Fire and Prime for all of us.

I do not personally know a single person who has been less than delighted.

You may be missing a few things. Your Fire comes with a free trial of Prime. Besides free shipping, Prime gives you access to a library of movies and tv shows. Give that a ride. Amazon offers a free app each day. You should check in each morning. You may not play games, but I suspect you will find a couple apps handy. Documents to Go was a free app last month. I like tunein, netflix, and pandora. There's a police scanner. Wifi file explorer comes in handy.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
ChewDigest
ChewDigest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
I second Tune In. Its my favorite app period.
I third Tune In. That app is amazing, even with my slow internet speeds!
ChewDigest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
belladove
belladove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you everyone! Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-)

So l was correct - there were major improvements. I did see a post about the free daily app, but thank you for the heads-up.

As for Prime, l am aware of it but steering clear ... l know l will get addicted and am holding off until l can buy it outright.

Thanks to you all.

edited to add: also, thank you for the info about NPR!

Last edited by belladove; 12-27-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add
belladove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladove View Post
Thank you everyone! Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-)

So l was correct - there were major improvements. I did see a post about the free daily app, but thank you for the heads-up.

As for Prime, l am aware of it but steering clear ... l know l will get addicted and am holding off until l can buy it outright.

Thanks to you all.
Prime can be addicting but I sure took advantage of the free trial specially with my Christmas shopping.

Major improvements was how responsive the Fire is when hitting buttons and Removing items from the Carousel. Everything else has been minor additions.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote