Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Unable to access author sort during the wifi import to Stanza

Does anyone else have the problem or know of a solution?

I have a library of about 5,000 books. For some (increadibly stupid) reason I thought I would like to do a full clean update and reinstall of my ipod including Stanza and my books... before I was aware that the porting through usb was no longer an option.

Anyway... If I try to access the author sort under "share", it runs, times out and eventually says no catalog. I have extended the time out function to 360 (6 mins) with still no results.

Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Beau
Connoisseur

Trying to bump this up as this is still unresolved for me. I can access tags, and did consider adding the authors name into the tags but am worried that that will lead to the same problem.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Beau
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
PaleoRDR
Stone Tablet Reader
PaleoRDR began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
What are you using to host the PC side of the transfer?

From your description, I'd assume that you're using Calibre. What version are you on? Also, what do you have Max OPDS items per query field set to (on the content server page under Preferences)? You've got to be on at least 2.1 of Stanza for the USB transfer option to be neutered.

I've had some similar flaky problems with Stanza of late, and like yourself I'm attempting to load up a substantial library (about 2000 books) onto the handheld. I'm not certain, and as usual (of late, anyway) Stanza support is proving to be totally nonresponsive, but I'm beginning to suspect that Stanza is having memory constraint problems with large libraries. Once my library goes over about 500 books, things just happen slower and slower.
PaleoRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using Stanza then you might want to look at Calibre2Opds (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre2opds) as an alternative way of getting books into Stanza. Works great for me.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Beau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRDR View Post
From your description, I'd assume that you're using Calibre. What version are you on? Also, what do you have Max OPDS items per query field set to (on the content server page under Preferences)? You've got to be on at least 2.1 of Stanza for the USB transfer option to be neutered.

I've had some similar flaky problems with Stanza of late, and like yourself I'm attempting to load up a substantial library (about 2000 books) onto the handheld. I'm not certain, and as usual (of late, anyway) Stanza support is proving to be totally nonresponsive, but I'm beginning to suspect that Stanza is having memory constraint problems with large libraries. Once my library goes over about 500 books, things just happen slower and slower.
I'm using 6.45 of Calibre, and re stanza... I made the bonehead move of updating before I was aware of the change.

My max opds is 30. I have gotten about 3000 of the books loaded -- a very long and repetitive process. somethings certainly have gotten slower. I really miss the "recently opened" tab. I never should have updated. I liked the older version better. Anyone know how to go back?

Beau
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Beau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you are using Stanza then you might want to look at Calibre2Opds (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre2opds) as an alternative way of getting books into Stanza. Works great for me.
Thanks yes, I absolutely plan on trying this. I've tried on my Sugarsync account (doesn't work - java based) and pogoplug (doesn't work, same reason). The free drop box account isn't large enough to meet my needs and I'm already paying for another account, so....

So, my next project is to learn how to ftp and see if I can host it on a private portion of my website. That's when I have some spare time to try to climb that learning curve. Is seems like it should be simple, but I'm guessing it's not and not very intuitive.

Beau
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
PaleoRDR
Stone Tablet Reader
PaleoRDR began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
I'm using 6.45 of Calibre, and re stanza... I made the bonehead move of updating before I was aware of the change.

My max opds is 30. I have gotten about 3000 of the books loaded -- a very long and repetitive process. somethings certainly have gotten slower. I really miss the "recently opened" tab. I never should have updated. I liked the older version better. Anyone know how to go back?

Beau
Beau -

Try setting your max opds to 5000. When you open up the Calibre content server's list from iStanza you'll get 5000 entries at once. Then you can either select "Books by Title" or "Books by Newest", hit the "download all" button, and let it crank away. I've moved as many as 1500 ebooks at a time this way, and although it isn't fast, it does work. Make sure that you either disable the inactivity shutdown or touch the screen occasionally to keep the iPod going. And the "Recently Opened" capability is still there - look in the library under Groups - Latest Reads.
PaleoRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Beau
Connoisseur

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I don't know if it was increasing the max opds or disabling the inactivity shutdown, but my author list is now accessible.

Thanks Again!
Beau
Old 03-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Beau
Connoisseur

Oh and I meant to add that if you've been reading and want to switch back to downloading, completely powering down and restarting speeds up the downloads.

Thanks again!
Beau